E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Proper way to clean sunroof drain hoses

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 07:51 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54
Default Proper way to clean sunroof drain hoses

Hi all,

I have searched over this forum ont his topic with quite a few threads but not real all inclusive answer.

Looking at the panoramic sunroof drains design, makes one feel like its an after thought on BMW's part with no easy access for cleaning both inside and out without some serious removal work. Contrary to my Alfa 164 drains which are easily accessible outside (if not inside).

So my question is, what is THE proper way to clean front hoses. Looks like the outlets inside take a literal L turn right at the sunroof on both ends. Coming to rear, looks like the only way is to clean it from outside. I would really like to clean them so looking forward if someone has a clean way to approach this.

From what I see/understand, the rear ones are right behind the tailight housings and one needs to remove the undertrays under the compressor and the same on the other side

thanks
Old 03-19-2024, 05:28 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Model Year: 2008

Fronts are easy. The drains are easily accessible, and the openings are too. Open the valve with your hand and get any gunk out that you can. Then, I seem to recall it was pretty easy to run some weed eater line down the front lines. Chase it with some water (through a funnel if other drains are still having issues), and you're golden.

Rears are much more difficult... I had a pretty significant sunroof leak, and pulled the headliner out to investigate (turned out to be the recalled perimeter seal). They're essentially inaccessible from the outside. The bumper skin comes off pretty easily to access the drains for cleaning. That will cure most ailments, but if not, this is going to sound a little bonkers, but the headliner was honestly not that difficult to pull. I had it down and back in by myself over the course of a single pleasant Saturday with a casual start and ending with plenty of daylight to spare. Then I did it again a week or two later during another round of hunting for the problem. With the headliner out, it's easy cakes to give the drain lines all the love and devotion they desire and require. Getting the headliner out is probably 3 bananas, because you want to be really careful not to mess up any of your nice interior. Cleaning the drain lines once it's down is 1 banana.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by spectre6000
.... Open the valve with your hand and get any gunk out that you can. .....
Great, where is this valve. Wondering if you are refering to the one behind the front doors electrical connector to the frame. If they are the ones, then I am not able to understand how one can easily access them unless you unhook the electrical connectors.

Rear ones as you said are not easily accessible. Oh well, will keep trying for a way to clean them without removing much of the stuff.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:38 AM
New Members

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT Touring, N54, Individual Audio
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54 3.0L Twin Turbo

Originally Posted by pavjayt
Great, where is this valve.
The valves are right at the end of the drain lines. The rear bumper cover is quite easy to remove, will take about 10 minutes and you have clear access to the rear valves. I also use weed trimmer line to run up the drain hoses to clear them out with a bit of water.

Drain exits just below taillight.

Valve at the end of the drain
Old 03-22-2024, 09:10 AM
New Members

Thanks, I can see those rear hoses under the tail lights between the body and bumper. Looks like its better to take out the bumper once and attach small extension hose to those for ease of access in future. Do you happen to know the ID of that hose end?

Old 03-24-2024, 07:55 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E70 xDrive35i LCI N55, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, 4zone climate, Heated seats F/R, HK Surround Sound
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N55

Agree with the bumper removal method. The only bit of advice I would possibly take from the official BMW instructions is to source a Bowden cable 'from a bicycle shop,' and use that to push up through the tube, while twisting. Otherwise the BMW instructions are a lot of work and require some odd materials; not worth it. Bumper comes off very easily.

I used heavy-duty weed-eater line to auger the drain tubes. But the Bowden cable does sound like a better option.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:18 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Greggo
Agree with the bumper removal method. The only bit of advice I would possibly take from the official BMW instructions is to source a Bowden cable 'from a bicycle shop,' and use that to push up through the tube, while twisting. Otherwise the BMW instructions are a lot of work and require some odd materials; not worth it. Bumper comes off very easily.

I used heavy-duty weed-eater line to auger the drain tubes. But the Bowden cable does sound like a better option.
Using bowden cable makes sense for the rear hoses. but I am not sure if they work for front ones as the 90deg angle is not something easy with bowden cable. I am thinking of using the inner brake cable with end cap and having a slight bend at the front.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 530xi touring 6 speed manual

Best way is to seal the sunroof shut with clear gorilla tape. Learned that from my last car, a vw jetta sportwagen with a panoramic sunroof. Even when working perfectly, it leaked water into the car when parked on any kind of incline. And i did all the things- snipped the nipples at the ends of the tubes, flossed the drains with weedeater string, flushed gallons of water through the drains to check the function... When I got my e61 that came with water entry problems and messed up electronic modules as a result, the very first thing I did was seal that thing shut. You can also seal the roof via vinyl car wrap, if you don't mind losing the roof window, or ppf film.

Last edited by Porch; 03-27-2024 at 07:08 PM.