E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Project GranPa E61

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 05:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535
Default Project GranPa E61

Hi y'all
New here, so let me introduce myself and my ole granpa E61 535.
We are out of Illinois and we wanna all of you to join our journey to rejuvenate this old granpa.

So i have the car for 5 months and the plan was to bring it to OEM plus condition with throwing some Msport bumpers and side skirts and wheels, lower it just enjoy it.

But of course with old bmw its never that simple…
The very first thing and worst thing that happened was that the car got flooded a month ago and all the modules in the trunk were soaking wet.
All the possible lights and off course the air suspension stopped working. For a whole month i was trying to install INPA and NCS expert to reprogram the new modules i got but all the versions of the diagnostic tools didn’t work there was always a error. The compressor did work but never filled the bags,so I decided it to go with ICS coilovers.

So now I’m waiting for new coilovers, new powerstop brake kit with drilled and slotted disc, replace all worn out suspension parts.
Already started on replacing valve cover gasket,spark plugs,coils all kinds of gaskets, vacuum lines and more.
And also waiting for a new Schmiedmannmuffler.
I
If you guys wanna follow this project i also have instagram account where i will be posting pictures and updates.
Follow me @granpa_e61
Here some pictures

Old 08-06-2023, 04:29 PM
New Members

Default Surgery has started on GranPa

So exactly what I was expecting, broken and leaky valve cover right in the middle.
Took the manifold out to get to the oil filter housing that was also leaking.
Also on the agenda is new water pump and thermostat, the one on the car stopped working right when the car got flooded and the car was overheating while idling.
Not sure if the flood was the reason or just the internals dictated to quit.
Also found quite a bit oil in the interior and the charge pipes, is that normal?
Let me know what you guys think should I do while everything is taken apart.
Follow me for more updates and pictures on my instagram @Granpa_e61

Old 08-12-2023, 06:57 AM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

The oil separator is probably overdue for replacement (and is an easy job once you have it to that point). You'll want to swap out the hoses as well (which will cost more than the separator since they're heated).

FWIW, I did a youtube video on swapping out the water pump and thermostat. Nothing groundbreaking about it - the one kind of unique suggestion was to not disconnect the long hose from the thermostat that terminates in the notorious "Mickey Mouse" fitting on the front of the engine, but to leave it in place and work it out of the car once the pump / thermostat is loose. Then mount the new hose (you ARE replacing the hoses, right?) in the same alignment and snake it into place (without having to try to find / deal with the nearly impossible-to-reach clamp).

Old 08-12-2023, 11:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d

Long milage petrol engines, without a major rebuild they will "eat" a little oil(oil in charge pipes), it is normal.
It all depends on previous owners responsibility in taking care of the car, mostly in changing the oil in good intervals.
And petrol engines running in high coolant temp. offocurse all pipes and connections are going to degrade, changing them for future safety is a must.
Good project, excellent colour in my opinion, and beautiful rims! Keep it up!
Old 10-01-2023, 11:59 AM
New Members

Hi everyone
GranPa is almost ready for the first drive after 3 months.
slow progress, waiting for parts and only working for a day in a week.
Things did escalate a bit,the original plan just to replace modules and recode them didnt work.
Couldn’t instal non of the BMW programs like inpa and ista, ncs so i had to go different route.
Now granpa is on ISC coilovers, also got M5 rear seay bar, nee bushings and arms in the back, new brake rotors,pads and ss lines.
the engine did receive ones over with new plugs,coils, gaskets on valve cover and oil filter housing.
New AFE intake, new aluminum intake charge pipe and silicone inlet pipe.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:05 PM
New Members

The suspension still needs to settle down and drive the car.
but now thats the problem after installing the brakes i have super soft brake paddle thats goes to tue floor and doesn’t stops at all.
after bleeding the air for 3 times and using ista to bleed the abs pump still now luck.
Next thing for me is to try to take apart the calipers apart and see if i did something wrong and also check for vacuum lines.
Do you guys any tips or experience with this problem?
thanks

Last edited by Granpa535; 10-01-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I thought you weren't able to install the programs to use ISTA? Did you reman the calipers yourself? Sounds like there's still air in the system. Did you let the fluid run dry while working on the system? If so then I would break the lines to bleed ABS first then the calipers. If not then you have air in the lines still. Gravity bleed then pedal bleed each caliper
Old 10-02-2023, 05:06 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I thought you weren't able to install the programs to use ISTA? Did you reman the calipers yourself? Sounds like there's still air in the system. Did you let the fluid run dry while working on the system? If so then I would break the lines to bleed ABS first then the calipers. If not then you have air in the lines still. Gravity bleed then pedal bleed each caliper
Yeah, I was able to install them few days ago right before I bled the brakes.
The brake system was open for long time and my dumb ass press the brakes while the calipers were off.
I also did bleed the abs pump manually, cracking the lines open and fresh fluid came out.
Yes, I did the calipers by myself, I used some engine heat resistance spray paint and clear coat.

Last edited by donpb; 10-02-2023 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spell / grammar fix