E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Product Review- BMW Roof Box 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was researching roof boxes, I couldn't find any information on the 460 so maybe this will benefit people using the search function in the future.

With our family travelling for Christmas, I decided it was time to get a rooftop carrier for our 2010 E61. I looked at Thule, but eventually went with BMW because 1) I have been impressed with the design of BMW Motorrad accessories for my motorcycles and figured that the BMW roof boxes would be similarly elegant and well engineered; 2) I figured that the BMW roof boxes would be designed specifically for use for E61s and might be better than a generic fit;, and 3) I was able to get a pretty good discount.

It was still expensive, though- $220 for the roof rails and $900 for the box, including taxes and shipping. I used $500 from my BMW Visa Card rewards program to help pay for the box. A used one would be less expensive, but good luck finding one for sale in the U.S.

The 460 is huge- in U.S.-speak over 16 cu. ft. It easily swallowed all of our gear with room to spare. Just as I hoped, the system is well designed and very easy to install. Just follow the directions and take your time and it goes on top beautifully. It opens from either side, which is a great design feature. Very easy to load and unload. Of course, both the box and the rails are lockable.

The best thing about the 460 is the absolute lack of wind noise on the highway. I couldn't believe how quiet it was travelling at 75-80 mph. (Max recommended speed with box attached is 80 mph). The car was definitely more susceptible to crosswinds, and we lost about 1-2 mpg with the box attached, but other than that you would never know it was on top of the car.

All in all, highly recommended for fit, finish, size, installation, and driving dynamics. Only downside is price.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

great review, thanks. Just been on a skiing trip to the alps and brought our caravan along so finding space for the ski's was no problem this time around but next time I think it will be without the camper and I've been wondering what it was like to drive with the skibox. A shame you can't go beyond 80 mph but then again, I can't safely do more than 65 with the caravan. Would be fabulous if there was a box you could do 100-120 mph with, would cut the journey time significantly (well, on german autobahn that is).
Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

I went with the Yakima Skybox 16. It was less expensive than the BMW one at about $200 for the bar and mounts, and $450 for the box. In the USA, REI has a 20% sale every season, I think, so you can save a bunch then. In addition to saving a few $$$, I also liked it's profile and the black finish gave it a nice stealth look. Yakima stuff have a real sturdy build and you can use it with confidence. On Highway 180 from Texas to the Carlsbad Cavern is a stretch of road that is straight as an arrow for many many miles. I got to 100MPH and sustained that speed for several minutes and it was quiet and without abnormal noises. I only slowed down to 90 because I worried more about the BMW front to back factory rails than the Yakima equipment and because it was an unfamiliar road. I drove at a sustained 90MPH with no negative indicators. I've found nothing in the Yakima site that warns of a maximum speed. OK, so I'm going to certify the Skybox for 100MPH. YMMV. I didn't know this at the time, but the Skybox mounting system allows it to be used with most bars, including factory bars. So you could buy the BMW bars to get a cleaner factory rack look and use a Skybox. Many different sizes to suit your needs. FWIW!

Product Review- BMW Roof Box 460-530xit_petrifiedforest_1215.jpg
Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Members

I have a Thule box that gets used all the time. I have the Atlantis 1600, 16 cubic feet of space. Ski trips, bike trips, family camping trips. Got mine used at Snigrab here in Denver about 5 years ago.

To the OP: did you get this at the dealership because all the BMW boxes are made by Thule and just rebadged along with most of the bike accessories and rack attachments. $900 dollars for one of these is pretty outrages since the Thule model that is 16 cubic feet only runs $589.00 MSRP that is quite the markup.

Glad you are happy with your purchase though. They do come in handy with multiple kids and multiple bags.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

The one I've got is now third hand. Friend of mine bought it on eBay for travelling to the Alps with his family, and I borrowed it over one Christmas. Last year, when I was due to go to the Alps I enquired about borrowing it again and he said if I did, I'd have used it more than him.

So I said, if you're not using it, then I'll buy it from you. Bought the roof box for £75 and he threw in the roof bars too.

It's a Mont Blanc RBX5400 and is huge.

The first few times I used it, I got a little additional wind noise but nothing bad - and this was up to 100mph. The last time, it seemed to vibrate at about 85 - unless we were following another car (must be to do with driving through 'dirty' air). So I stopped and re-positioned it and it was better. The only annoying thing now is that the gas struts have stopped supporting the weight of the top, so it keeps closing on my hands. I keep meaning to check to see if I can get some more.

On a round trip of 1400 miles from Bucks, UK to Alpe D'Huez and back, we got about 32mpg. Please note the winter wheels and tyres.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by richietherocket
To the OP: did you get this at the dealership because all the BMW boxes are made by Thule and just rebadged along with most of the bike accessories and rack attachments.
I've heard this before on various internet sites but I haven't seen or heard anyone actually confirm this. When I was looking for boxes I could find no Thule box that looked remotely like the BMW box- roughly the same carrying capacity, yes, but different shapes and exterior dimensions. The BMW box is longer, narrower and lower than the Atlantis 1600 you mention. Also, there are no Thule markings anywhere on the roof box or the cross bars- but there are several small BMW roundels cast in. All I'm saying is that I have not found any direct link between Thule and the roof box 460. If you know different, please correct me. If Thule offers the exact same box for a lot less than BMW, I most certainly would have bought that instead.

And where were all you guys when I posted on this forum asking for feedback on roof boxes?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

the best 3 thule boxes for the wagon are the 1200, 1800 and 2100 because they are longer. the 1600, in my opinion, looks oddly short in terms of length on such a long roofline.

I have a 2100xt atlantis on our Audi S4 wagon (a shorter roof line than the E61 but the 2100 just barely fits) and a 1200 atlantis for when narrow is better due to other items on roof.

The 2100 is only $680 but as the other person mentioned, waiting for a sale nets a nice savings especially when it's one where ALL Thule items are 20% off, not just a "one item" coupon type deal. Use an REI/US Bank visa and get an extra 5% dividend back later on too! (that card nets you 5% on all REI purchases regardless of garage sale or pricing) It ads up if you're a gear junkie

http://www.rei.com/search?search=thu...ule+roof+boxes
Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

PAINTING a roof box?

Anyone considered that? I only thought of it because of an ad campaign where the box was body color matched blue.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Originally Posted by jwestpro
PAINTING a roof box?

Anyone considered that? I only thought of it because of an ad campaign where the box was body color matched blue.
I have seen it done. The guy behind us in the Channel Tunnel had a green Chrysler MPV and his roof box was sprayed to match it.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

If our car wasn't Saphire Black I would consider color matching the car color. This is the reason I will be ordering either the Atlantis 1600 or 1800 model in the Black finish to match the car as much as possible,take a look at these Audi's
Attached Thumbnails Product Review- BMW Roof Box 460-yellow.jpg   Product Review- BMW Roof Box 460-latest-kru.jpg  

Quick Reply: Product Review- BMW Roof Box 460