E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Price Check - 2010 535 Touring (US Spec)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hive Mind price check please.

Just located a US Spec 2010 535 XiT here in Germany (what a lucky break) that is for sale. I cannot find any price info (KBB, Edmunds, NADA) or any 2010 5 Wagons for sales (USA) to even begin to think what fair market value is. I have to buy "US Spec" as we will take it back to the USA when we leave Germany (after 7 incredble years) in Dec 11. This may be my one and only chance to get in on the BMW 5 Touring market; other than buying a used one in the USA when we return. If I wait until we are in the USA, we will be paying a good chunk of State sales tax on the purchase (6% in Colorado) so that could easily be a $2K to $3K expense. Buying it here would have some major tax incentives as car sales are tax free for US Forces.

Details:

Clean car
15K miles
Premium Package
Sport Package
Cold Weather
Heads Up Display
Nav
Sunshades
Park Distance Control
Grey/Grey leather

Anyone got any idea what that car would be worth (US Price)? Anybody seen any used 2010s for sale?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Members

New 2010, there are some left, are 7-9k off msrp
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Members

yes...I remember reading about the discounted pricing on the last of the 2010s. How does that translate in the prices on the "used" market for 2010s and all previous years I wonder?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Members

I don't recall seeing any go by...
but some perspective, I am sure you already know.
15k is a lot of miles on a 2010, what is the incept date?
HPFP is an issue, if I were to buy a wagon 535, I would opt for CPO or Gold/Premium warranty extension
If you are coming back in early 2012, leased 2009 and maybe 2010 (my impression is most people are buying the 2010 because of the incentives) will be coming off lease and you may/may not get a good deal then.
Options I don't think add much to the bottom line (within reason)
2008 cpo 38-42K 535XiT with subvented finance rates (not sure)

Has it had HPFP issues?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Members

Car was delivered in Jul 09. He is asking $47K.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Originally Posted by Stu3
I purchased a new 2010 535i X-drive wagon in March. MSRP was $62,000. Discount was >$8000.

Some points to consider:
Shipping to the U.S. in 2011 may be expensive.
Proving that the car meets all U.S. specs when importing may not be simple. You may need to use a freight importer or expediter which could be an added cost. My guess is shipping and importation fees may be a couple thousand dollars.
I imported a car in 1995 from Europe and ended up paying Michigan use tax to register the car in lieu of sales tax. Check sales tax liability carefully.
Will you have a U.S. warranty and maintenance? If not, you may face substantial costs above a car purchased in the U.S. For example, you may not have any warranty on the HPFP in the U.S. which could be a substantial expense in event of failure.
Resale price of the car in the U.S. may be adversely impacted by the odd title history.

In view of the above factors and the deep discounts on similar new cars in the U.S., the $47K asking price is not a bargain in my opinion. If you want to drive the wagon in Europe, it may still be worth pursuing.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Members

Suggest you do a quick search at Autotrader.com for 2009 or 2010 BMW 535i vehicles in the wagon body style.

You will find several low mileage wagons (<10,000 miles) with U.S. warranties listed at prices close to or below the vehicle you are looking at in Germany. These may not be as well-equipped, but often the mileage is lower.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Michiganmike
I purchased a new 2010 535i X-drive wagon in March. MSRP was $62,000. Discount was >$8000.

Some points to consider:
Shipping to the U.S. in 2011 may be expensive.
Proving that the car meets all U.S. specs when importing may not be simple. You may need to use a freight importer or expediter which could be an added cost. My guess is shipping and importation fees may be a couple thousand dollars.
I imported a car in 1995 from Europe and ended up paying Michigan use tax to register the car in lieu of sales tax. Check sales tax liability carefully.
Will you have a U.S. warranty and maintenance? If not, you may face substantial costs above a car purchased in the U.S. For example, you may not have any warranty on the HPFP in the U.S. which could be a substantial expense in event of failure.
Resale price of the car in the U.S. may be adversely impacted by the odd title history.

In view of the above factors and the deep discounts on similar new cars in the U.S., the $47K asking price is not a bargain in my opinion. If you want to drive the wagon in Europe, it may still be worth pursuing.
Mike (et al): Let me elaborate. This car I am looking at is a US Spec car purchased via the BMW Military Sales program (Pentagon Car Sales) and all cars purchased via that program include "home shipment" to one of 5 US ports (NJ, CA, NJ, SC and MD) so I either have to pay extra to have it shipped to our home of record (CO) or fly to port and drive the car home. Basically, we are able to order and purchase US Spec BMWs (tax free and with some attractive pricing) here and drive them while stationed here and then ship them back to the USA when our tour is up. Of course we may not move back to Colorado so that it an unknown. If i was in the US, I would be very seriously looking at a heavily discounted new 2010 but there are none to be found here (US Spec) so the fact that this one is available is quite rare. Yes, there are some tax considerations about how long you have the car in your possession before you return to the US (I think its 6 months) to avoid state sales/use tax. If I had been paying closer attention to this whole 5 wagon thing last Oct/Nov/Dec, I would have ordered one while I had the chance. They stopped taking orders for 5 wagons mid Dec, right around the time I started thinking about replacing my wife's V70.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Members

Mike (et al): Let me elaborate. This car I am looking at is a US Spec car purchased via the BMW Military Sales program (Pentagon Car Sales) and all cars purchased via that program include "home shipment" to one of 5 US ports (NJ, CA, NJ, SC and MD) so I either have to pay extra to have it shipped to our home of record (CO) or fly to port and drive the car home. Basically, we are able to order and purchase US Spec BMWs (tax free and with some attractive pricing) here and drive them while stationed here and then ship them back to the USA when our tour is up. Of course we may not move back to Colorado so that it an unknown. If i was in the US, I would be very seriously looking at a heavily discounted new 2010 but there are none to be found here (US Spec) so the fact that this one is available is quite rare. Yes, there are some tax considerations about how long you have the car in your possession before you return to the US (I think its 6 months) to avoid state sales/use tax. If I had been paying closer attention to this whole 5 wagon thing last Oct/Nov/Dec, I would have ordered one while I had the chance. They stopped taking orders for 5 wagons mid Dec, right around the time I started thinking about replacing my wife's V70.
Thanks for the clarification. If shipment, importation and U.S. warranty are covered, the $47K price appears competitive with prices for similar cars in the U.S. The relatively high mileage compared to some used cars is likely balanced by the more than average options. On the other hand, if you kept the Volvo while in Europe and waited until your return to the U.S. in December 2011 to buy a CPO BMW 535i wagon, my expectation is the cost would be approximately $40K plus sales tax.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Michiganmike
Suggest you do a quick search at Autotrader.com for 2009 or 2010 BMW 535i vehicles in the wagon body style.

You will find several low mileage wagons (<10,000 miles) with U.S. warranties listed at prices close to or below the vehicle you are looking at in Germany. These may not be as well-equipped, but often the mileage is lower.
Thx. Tried that on autotrader but only found 2008s...no 2009 or 2010s. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, 15k miles is more than I would like but and I would prefer a different color combo but there are so few here for sale (basically none). Yes, waiting until we return is an option; or (I hate to say it) but the new F10 (launch party this weekend) may be a better fit. Not a wagon but maybe Kim would be okay with a sedan that she can order with exact colors and options. If we go that route, we will wait for X drive in the fall. Personally, I think the 528xi would be plenty fast enough and we could probably get it with options for just under $50K.

I am still a bit nervous about the N54 engine/HPFP.

Quick Reply: Price Check - 2010 535 Touring (US Spec)