E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Post a NEW picture(s) of your E61

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530dA Touring

Originally Posted by Soundstorm
Great pic, I love it.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by VIPModularWheels
WOW !!!
Looking awesome.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Originally Posted by Beuk
Hi Theo,

The front wheels are 8.5 x 19", the rear wheels 9.5 x 19".
The front tyres are 245/35 R19, the rear tyres 275/30 R19.

The pictures were taken by the first owner. I'll post some new pics.
Hi Beuk

Your E61 does look very nice in the pic posted.

The Spider M172 wheels are well documented in the forum for the E61, and it may be worth while you looking closely at your car. Please refer to this post M172 / E61. Forum member Push_eax has the same set up on his E61 and experienced rubbing and premature wear on the inner edges of his tyres. If your wheels are 8.5J you should be okay but 9.5J is likely to rub in the same way. A quick fix would be spacers on the rears to give more clearance.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by kErb
Hi Beuk

Your E61 does look very nice in the pic posted.

The Spider M172 wheels are well documented in the forum for the E61, and it may be worth while you looking closely at your car. Please refer to this post M172 / E61. Forum member Push_eax has the same set up on his E61 and experienced rubbing and premature wear on the inner edges of his tyres. If your wheels are 8.5J you should be okay but 9.5J is likely to rub in the same way. A quick fix would be spacers on the rears to give more clearance.
Totally agree -- you need (Beuk) need to check this ASAP!

When I fitted the same M172 set-up to my previous E61, and was still living in Germany, I originally tried to get the set-up approved by TUV (German authorities) with only 10mm spacers on the rear, but this was rejected as they stated there was not enough space between the inside of the rear wheel and the suspension. They made me fit 15mm spacers to get it approved. So if you are not running any spacers at all, I can only assume your wheels are rubbing on the inside, unless the previous owner has fitted spacers and not told you Check if there is a "BMW locking screw" used or if they all look like normal screws, i.e. have they been replaced with longer screws to match the size of spacer. That said, you should still take the wheel off and check! Good luck.

I probably should have written this first.... the car looks great
Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx
Totally agree -- you need (Beuk) need to check this ASAP!

When I fitted the same M172 set-up to my previous E61, and was still living in Germany, I originally tried to get the set-up approved by TUV (German authorities) with only 10mm spacers on the rear, but this was rejected as they stated there was not enough space between the inside of the rear wheel and the suspension. They made me fit 15mm spacers to get it approved. So if you are not running any spacers at all, I can only assume your wheels are rubbing on the inside, unless the previous owner has fitted spacers and not told you Check if there is a "BMW locking screw" used or if they all look like normal screws, i.e. have they been replaced with longer screws to match the size of spacer. That said, you should still take the wheel off and check! Good luck.

I probably should have written this first.... the car looks great
Thanks guys, for the explanation.
I understand, I can solve the problem with 15 mm spacers.
And what about 20 mm spacers?
Do they fit?

I was thinking of H&R Spacers.
Part-no.: 40757252.
Model: 560L (BMW E60/E61).
DRA system.
Total track widening per axle: 40 mm.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

That's why I was curious whether Beuk had a 4 * 8,5 set of 172's.

On a related note, there was a spacerless member here as well who never had rubbing issues he claimed.

Anyone knows why the pre/LCI E61 needs individual certification/approval with 172´s by TüV and similar authorities and the facelift doesn't?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Theo
That's why I was curious whether Beuk had a 4 * 8,5 set of 172's.

On a related note, there was a spacerless member here as well who never had rubbing issues he claimed.

Anyone knows why the pre/LCI E61 needs individual certification/approval with 172´s by TüV and similar authorities and the facelift doesn't?

Thanks in advance!

With the LCI model BMW had certified the use of 4x 8,5 M172s on the car, hence you no longer needing to do it yourself. The pre-LCI models were only certified up to 18" sized rims.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Thanks guys, for the explanation.
I understand, I can solve the problem with 15 mm spacers.
And what about 20 mm spacers?
Do they fit?

I was thinking of H&R Spacers.
Part-no.: 40757252.
Model: 560L (BMW E60/E61).
DRA system.
Total track widening per axle: 40 mm.
I used 15mm spacers and think that is more than enough. With 20mm spacers you could get problems with rubbing. I used H&R spacers, which was recommended to me by BMW and I have had them on my E61 and current E60 550i (for winter) -- they fit and perform perfectly.

Here are pics of the fitment on my previous E61 with 15mm spacers and the staggered 275 set-up on the rear:
(The 128s are the same size as the M172s)

Post a NEW picture(s) of your E61-img_7987.jpg
Post a NEW picture(s) of your E61-img_7905pp.jpg
Post a NEW picture(s) of your E61-img_7706-p.jpg

I love my 550, but really miss my E61 when I look at these pics

Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Members

I used 15mm spacers and think that is more than enough. With 20mm spacers you could get problems with rubbing.
Are you sure about rubbing problems with 20mm spacers?

Here are pics of the fitment on my previous E61 with 15mm spacers and the staggered 275 set-up on the rear:
(The 128s are the same size as the M172s)

If this is a pic with 15 mm spacers, I think 20 mm spacers can not be a problem.
Or am I wrong?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Contributors

Are you sure about rubbing problems with 20mm spacers?

If this is a pic with 15 mm spacers, I think 20 mm spacers can not be a problem.
Or am I wrong?

When its parked up with no weight inside its all fine, its when you have weight inside and/or hit a dip in the road or take a corner hard. There is the inner lip of the arch that you also need to consider, which you cannot see in the picture above.

You could be right with the 20mm spacers and have no problems what so ever. From my experience, it was nice to have a wider track but not have to worry about rubbing. Good luck

Quick Reply: Post a NEW picture(s) of your E61