5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   popping sound from front end (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/popping-sound-front-end-116830/)

vanos 09-05-2011 10:38 AM

At low speed I sonetimes hear a popping sound at low speeds when the road is bumpy or uneven. I haven't been able to pinpoint the location, sometimes it seems like it is from the middle (top) and other times at the bottom. I'm thinking a bushing or sway bar??? Not sure. Anybody have a clue?

phelix 09-07-2011 10:45 AM

The strut bearing can wear causing noise. It's also worth re-torquing the bolts that attach the strut brace to the car.

mmitev 09-10-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by vanos (Post 1378726)
At low speed I sonetimes hear a popping sound at low speeds when the road is bumpy or uneven. I haven't been able to pinpoint the location, sometimes it seems like it is from the middle (top) and other times at the bottom. I'm thinking a bushing or sway bar??? Not sure. Anybody have a clue?

check the two screws that connect the strut bar to the firewall, right in front of your navigation display. them being loose is the most common reason for popping from the front/dashboard. every time the air filter is changed, the mechanics remove those screws and sometimes they don't tighten them properly at the end.

phelix 09-11-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mmitev (Post 1380263)
check the two screws that connect the strut bar to the firewall, right in front of your navigation display. them being loose is the most common reason for popping from the front/dashboard. every time the air filter is changed, the mechanics remove those screws and sometimes they don't tighten them properly at the end.

There's no need to touch those bolts when changing the pollen filters; from memory there are several further components that need removal before you can get to those bolts. I seem to recall there is a TSB on torquing those bolts.

Anzafin 09-11-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by phelix (Post 1380463)
There's no need to touch those bolts when changing the pollen filters; from memory there are several further components that need removal before you can get to those bolts. I seem to recall there is a TSB on torquing those bolts.

Actually the strut bar and lots of other things need to be removed before you can change the engine air filter in a diesel E60. Of course it's not needed to remove when changing the air filters for cabin air.

- Antti -

Muppet_Man 10-01-2011 03:42 AM

Did you find out what it is. Mine does it also. As generally I'm an Audi man, and they get the same thing, on them it's the top suspension bearing and buffer.

vanos 10-01-2011 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Muppet_Man (Post 1386575)
Did you find out what it is. Mine does it also. As generally I'm an Audi man, and they get the same thing, on them it's the top suspension bearing and buffer.

Stress bar was loose. Tightened all the mounting points and everything is okay now.

Muppet_Man 10-01-2011 07:07 AM

Hi, that's good to hear. Can I just ask what you mean by a stress bar. Is this the same as an anti-roll bar?
Thanks.

mmitev 10-01-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Muppet_Man (Post 1386618)
Hi, that's good to hear. Can I just ask what you mean by a stress bar. Is this the same as an anti-roll bar?
Thanks.

He means the strut brace and the problem was exactly what I mentioned in my previous post :thumbsup:

vanos 10-01-2011 12:42 PM

^^ Correct. Check all mounting points to my sure all is tightened correctly.