E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

picked up my E61 today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 523i M Sport Touring (Auto) - Silver Grey VW Touareg 2.5tdi Sport (Auto) - Shadow Blue

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='247696' date='Mar 1 2006, 12:23 PM
I just had mine done and went with 40% down the sides and 15% on the rear, looks great, you don't get the van look.

I will post pics when the weather clears.
Thanks very much - I'd appreciate pictures. When at the dealers they weren't sure what the gradients were on the factory tints, so we had to basically guess - they are arranging it for me, and assured me the company who does it knows . Also I know what you mean about the van look - really need to avoid that

Kaine
Old 03-01-2006, 03:48 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 523i M Sport Touring (Auto) - Silver Grey VW Touareg 2.5tdi Sport (Auto) - Shadow Blue

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='247700' date='Mar 1 2006, 12:38 PM
Where do you get the tints done? At the dealer or with an aftermarket company? I have clear glass all round on my saloon and would like to get some tints done.

How do they put the tint on the glass? Is it some stick on film or is it something they do to the glass, like the opticians do for prescription sunglasses?

What sort of money are we talking about?

Sorry for the questions and I know they're a bit but seeing as you've just had them done I thought I'd take the opportunity to quiz you.

Oh and by the way - nice cars guys!
The dealer is arranging mine - they should have been done before collection, however they couldn't fit it in and I couldn't wait.

Not sure exactly how they do it to be honest - should find out myself really

Cost - ?200+VAT (?235) based on factory tint spec.

Cheers

Kaine
Old 03-01-2006, 03:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='247709' date='Mar 1 2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks
It is a film that is installed on glasses. It is not bad but touching the glass you have a plastic feeling. That's why I have ordered the car with tinted glasses from the factory. In this case are just coloured glasses. It looks great.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Mine is factory 'sun protection glass' which is really quite light. From the inside you can scarcely tell it's tinted at all which is the one great advantage over films.

I have professional film on my 'utility vehicle' and I would say the biggest downside is that it is relatively soft and can be scratched from the inside. Quality of install makes a big difference too, don't let the monkeys do it. I paid about ?250 for rearsides and back (5 pieces) direct to the fitter with no dealer margin

Had to buy the 19s separately, they are not an otion for UK tourers. It also lowers the maximum carrying weight due to tyre ratings - but that isn't an issue for me any more.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:32 AM
Members

Have found out my dealer uses a company called 'Sound Performance' in Wolverhampton (Dudley Road) to do the tints - . Would have liked factory spec tints, however too late, so these will have to do. I have been reassured by the dealer that these guys are top notch and do the majority of ICE and other work for a lot of the luxury car dealers in the area. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Kaine
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Members

tried to clean the car today, however it was so cold outside that the water was freezing on the car - brrrrr

first piccie - freezing quicker than I could wash it

then some piccies of a part polished E61

and some interior shots

Old 03-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I assume the blue is just the light, is yours silver grey with grey like mine? Looks like we are a good pairing.

Do your locking wheels nuts have plastic covers? All my previous ones have, and I am not sure if they lost them when they changed the wheels or whether this is another penny-pinch (like the loss of the glovebox torch!)
Old 03-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by blingo' post='248026' date='Mar 1 2006, 09:23 PM
I assume the blue is just the light, is yours silver grey with grey like mine? Looks like we are a good pairing.

Do your locking wheels nuts have plastic covers? All my previous ones have, and I am not sure if they lost them when they changed the wheels or whether this is another penny-pinch (like the loss of the glovebox torch!)
Silver Grey with Grey - was starting to get dark (and even colder) when I took the pics. Didn't notice if the locking wheel nuts had covers - will take a look in the morning. Will be giving it a good polish at the weekend - fingers crossed its dry

Kaine
Old 03-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

That MSport body kit looks great! I need to get that as soon as the honeymoon is over and I am getting tired of the girl. Congrats! Great looking car!

Quick Reply: picked up my E61 today!!!!