E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

PDC Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:00 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 535d M Sport Touring Auto Silver/Black

Good afternoon to all, I hope you're having a great weekend. I found this forum site only yesterday and joined up straight away as I could see what a useful tool it could be for this new E61 owner.

I, too, am having difficulty with my PDC. Shortly after buying the car I got the 'bong' alerting me to a PDC fault. The problem has been intermittent for approx 2 months now, sometimes it will operate ok for a few days and then, for no apparent reason, will not do so for the next few days. Invariable, when it has decided that it won't function for a few days it tells me so within a few seconds of turning on the ignition.

I have learned already from this magic forum that I can check the sensors with my thumb and this reveals that only the 2 outer rear sensors are buzzing. I find it hard to accept that 6 of the 8 sensors can suddenly 'go down' at the same time and yet, as there are 2 sensors apparently ok, I guess that the module is ok. Or is it? Any ideas please? I would much appreciate your/any input and many thanks in anticipation.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520D 2007

Originally Posted by JonnyBgood
Good afternoon to all, I hope you're having a great weekend. I found this forum site only yesterday and joined up straight away as I could see what a useful tool it could be for this new E61 owner.

I, too, am having difficulty with my PDC. Shortly after buying the car I got the 'bong' alerting me to a PDC fault. The problem has been intermittent for approx 2 months now, sometimes it will operate ok for a few days and then, for no apparent reason, will not do so for the next few days. Invariable, when it has decided that it won't function for a few days it tells me so within a few seconds of turning on the ignition.

I have learned already from this magic forum that I can check the sensors with my thumb and this reveals that only the 2 outer rear sensors are buzzing. I find it hard to accept that 6 of the 8 sensors can suddenly 'go down' at the same time and yet, as there are 2 sensors apparently ok, I guess that the module is ok. Or is it? Any ideas please? I would much appreciate your/any input and many thanks in anticipation.
First thing to try is to fully charge your battery. The first that returns an error in my car is the PDC if the battery gets too low.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by trevorken
First thing to try is to fully charge your battery. The first that returns an error in my car is the PDC if the battery gets too low.
Many thanks Trevorken, I'll try that. I did drive 200 miles yesterday though, which I imagine would ensure that the battery is well charged, and I still have the same PDC failure warning. Any/all additional ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated. Many thanks again.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Hm... I agree it sounds strange that 6 out of 8 sensors should be faulty. What it could be is the control unit for the PDC. Not knowing your car I took a look at my own (530i, production 04/2010) and the article no is 66209145158. If you check the Online catalogue (link below), there is a picture that will explain this better...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=05&lang=en

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by narvselius
Hm... I agree it sounds strange that 6 out of 8 sensors should be faulty. What it could be is the control unit for the PDC. Not knowing your car I took a look at my own (530i, production 04/2010) and the article no is 66209145158. If you check the Online catalogue (link below), there is a picture that will explain this better...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=05&lang=en

Good luck!
Many thanks, Narvselius, and sorry for the late response but have been hellish busy. My car is a 2005 E61 535d M Sport Touring.

OK, I'll check out the control unit when I can and make sure all connections, etc., look OK first. Then I suppose I'll have to whip off the bumpers and check out the wiring and sensor connections, etc.. After that I'll probably have to place my trust in an auto-electrician and just hope I don't get ripped off!