E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

PDC Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The followig thread will direct you to some additional threads on removing the bumper and removing the PDC sensor (transducer):
https://5series.net/forums/topic/378...-bumper-remove

Also, although it does sound like you may have a bad sensor based on the above posts, it's not clear if temperature could still be the culprit here. Is it above freezing where you are? If so, then you likely have a bad sensor. If it's been below freezing and the car hasn't been in any warm garages to allow the sensor to thaw, you may want to find a way to make that happen first since that's a pretty common cause of PDC failure...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Rudy
The followig thread will direct you to some additional threads (and DIYs) on removing the bumper and removing the PDC sensor (transducer):
https://5series.net/forums/topic/378...-bumper-remove

Also, although it does sound like you may have a bad sensor based on the above posts, it's not clear if temperature could still be the culprit here. Is it above freezing where you are? If so, then you likely have a bad sensor. If it's been below freezing and the car hasn't been in any warm garages to allow the sensor to thaw, you may want to find a way to make that happen first since that's a pretty common cause of PDC failure...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Hi Rudy

Thank you for the reply and the link. It does look like I will need to remove the bumper which is a shame as the sensor itself looks simple enough to change once I can get at it.
The temperature was above freezing when it started to play up, but I did use a jet wash to clean the car just before the fault started. So moisture in the sensor may have played a part. I've isolated the faulty sensor by listening for the absence of the "ticking" noise and attempted the WD40 trick recommended here on the forum.
I will wait for the replacement to arrive in the post and then follow the instructions in the link. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

[quote name='kErb' date='03 February 2010 - 06:45 AM' timestamp='1265197513' post='1103451']
Hi Rudy

Thank you for the reply and the link. It does look like I will need to remove the bumper which is a shame as the sensor itself looks simple enough to change once I can get at it.
The temperature was above freezing when it started to play up, but I did use a jet wash to clean the car just before the fault started. So moisture in the sensor may have played a part. I've isolated the faulty sensor by listening for the absence of the "ticking" noise and attempted the WD40 trick recommended here on the forum.
I will wait for the replacement to arrive in the post and then follow the instructions in the link. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
[/quote

i wonder if you can get the car up on a lift and remove the bottom trim only and replace the pdc sensor with out bumper removal.. just a pain in the ass to remove the bumper
Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

[QUOTE=2exclusive;1103504]
Originally Posted by kErb' date='03 February 2010 - 06:45 AM' timestamp='1265197513' post='1103451
Hi Rudy

[/quote

i wonder if you can get the car up on a lift and remove the bottom trim only and replace the pdc sensor with out bumper removal.. just a pain in the ass to remove the bumper
I will investigate when the time comes. I'm hoping that if I remove the panel in front of the front wheel arch liner (on the underside of the bumper - if that make sense) it will allow me to see the PDC sensor without removing the bumper. I will let you know how I get on once the new sensor arrives - hopefully for the weekend.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

The new PDC sensor arrived yesterday, found one on e-bay for less than half price, brand new and in the right colour. All the info indicated that the bumper had to come off to replace the faulty sensor which I wasn't keen on, as I could see it taking ages to get it lined up again correctly afterwards. Before I went down that route, I decided first to follow Mag75's recommendation https://5series.net/forums/topic/932...umper-removal/ and take the headlight out to see if I could see the faulty sensor. I was chuffed to see that the outer PDC sensor was easily accessible and took just a few minutes to swap. No more "PDC Failure" messages!! It made a job which I thought was going to take all day finished within 30 minutes. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Excellent result. Thanks for posting up the outcome
Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E60/525d

It just happend to me too ... Suddenly PDC stopped working and I got warning message displayed.

What about if I don't get any signal bars on the screen - should I blame PDC unit failure?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by simonkoleznik
It just happend to me too ... Suddenly PDC stopped working and I got warning message displayed.

What about if I don't get any signal bars on the screen - should I blame PDC unit failure?
Hi - have you checked to see if any of the sensors buzz individualy? It would be worth checking, if some buzz, the silent ones are probably faulty, if none work then the PDC unit may be at fault. Good Luck
Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kErb
Hi - have you checked to see if any of the sensors buzz individualy? It would be worth checking, if some buzz, the silent ones are probably faulty, if none work then the PDC unit may be at fault. Good Luck
I think that there could be some sort of a rule when pcd stops working completely, because mine works well even there was two out in the middle of front, but now there is one out in rear also and pdc dont say nothing. I was checking trought etk and it seems like there is two kinds of those sensors. Rear sensors and front ones and the difference is that others have 90 degree "bend" (my pour english ) and other four are straight.

Quick Reply: PDC Failure