5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   Panoramic Sunroof "Windnoise"? (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/panoramic-sunroof-windnoise-37317/)

Jed Peter 02-27-2007 10:57 AM

I've got a bunch of windnoise coming through the top of the panoramic sunroof.

When I push up on it, the noise goes away.

It's at the service center (2 days now!) and they haven't told me anything yet.

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem, and if there's a known fix for it yet.

Thanks,

Jed

Road Runner 02-27-2007 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='396373' date='Feb 27 2007, 02:57 PM
I've got a bunch of windnoise coming through the top of the panoramic sunroof.

When I push up on it, the noise goes away.

It's at the service center (2 days now!) and they haven't told me anything yet.

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem, and if there's a known fix for it yet.

Thanks,

Jed

Jed,

My wife's 2005 X5 had a similar problem, which mysteriously disappeared after a few dealer trips with "no problem found."

Try a search in the forums for "sunroof noise" or similar terms. You should be able to find some of the threads as I've seen reports on here from E60 owners of this problem as well. It appears to be rare, but it does happen.

RR

Rudy 02-27-2007 05:13 PM

Funny, since I'm currently a temporary member of the E61 club for the next day or so due to my dealer giving me a 530Xi Touring, I thought I noticed an excessive amount of noise today on my way home from work. I didn't think to push up on the panoramic sunroof but I did think it was open and tried to close it...

If I think of it tomorrow, I'll see if I can duplicate the problem and/or solution.

Rudy 02-28-2007 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='396504' date='Feb 27 2007, 09:13 PM
Funny, since I'm currently a temporary member of the E61 club for the next day or so due to my dealer giving me a 530Xi Touring, I thought I noticed an excessive amount of noise today on my way home from work. I didn't think to push up on the panoramic sunroof but I did think it was open and tried to close it...

If I think of it tomorrow, I'll see if I can duplicate the problem and/or solution.

I can now confirm that there is a fairly significant wind noise coming from the panorama roof that goes away when you push up on the leading edge of the sliding glass panel. You don't hear the noise at all if the sunshade is closed, only when you have it open...

ademitt 02-28-2007 01:02 PM

I have exactly the symptoms that Rudy commented on above. My car has been at the dealers twice and both times they were unable to correct the problem.

I recently drove an 07 530xiT and it had the same amount of wind noise as my 06. I find it curious that the noise is greatly reduced by pushing up on the glass. Perhaps there is an adjustment required?

Rudy 02-28-2007 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='396841' date='Feb 28 2007, 05:02 PM
Perhaps there is an adjustment required?

I would think a minor adjustment would solve it -- if there is one. Although I enjoyed driving it and enjoyed contributing something to this forum, I'm retuning my E61 tonight so as far as I'm concerned, my wind noise problem will be solved! :P

ademitt 02-28-2007 03:20 PM

A recent SW update (24 IIRC) apparently provided some adjustment capability in the sun roof according to the shop foreman. He attempted to adjust the panel altbeit with no success.

I will ask the dealer to look at it again when I take in for a winshield replacement in the spring (damn I hate winters around here).

Heiss5 02-28-2007 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='396910' date='Feb 28 2007, 04:20 PM
A recent SW update (24 IIRC) apparently provided some adjustment capability in the sun roof according to the shop foreman.

How exactly does a SW update provide adjustment capability in the sun roof? I can see how this might enable one to adjust the servo motor timing, but I don't see how that is going to affect what appears to be a mechanical misalignment problem.

Rudy 02-28-2007 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='396916' date='Feb 28 2007, 07:37 PM
How exactly does a SW update provide adjustment capability in the sun roof? I can see how this might enable one to adjust the servo motor timing, but I don't see how that is going to affect what appears to be a mechanical misalignment problem.

It's all software these days, isn't it? ;)

Kidding aside, I agree that this is an analog problem, not a digital one...

Heiss5 02-28-2007 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='396918' date='Feb 28 2007, 04:47 PM
It's all software these days, isn't it? ;)

Kidding aside, I agree that this is an analog problem, not a digital one...

lol