E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Panoramic sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just turned my car in to my dealer yet again to fix the sunroof. In short, in three years of ownership, it has proved unnacceptably noisy, with several fixes (including new seals) only ever lasting a month or two; it has leaked (which resulted in a replacement), and now has jammed open; yet another new roof is now being fitted - the third in 3 years and 17k miles. It seems to me there is a fundamental design fault at work; either the whole in the roof is too big for the car's rigidity, or too heavy, or both. Either way I've totally lost faith that it is ever oing to be right. What a waste of ?1170, and what a poor piece of engineering from BMW.
Anyone else on this one?
Regards,
Mike
Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Members

My Ride: E91 sport + touring

Mine occasionally sticks in the tilt position,never had any problems with it going fully back or closing from the fully open position and my car in knocking on 5 years old.When I've had it stick tilted it tends to be when it hasn't been used for a few weeks.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by colb666' post='765932' date='Jan 12 2009, 02:39 PM
Mine occasionally sticks in the tilt position,never had any problems with it going fully back or closing from the fully open position and my car in knocking on 5 years old.When I've had it stick tilted it tends to be when it hasn't been used for a few weeks.
My new E61 has noise coming for the roof as well; can it be fixed or is it a design flaw?

My old X5 had the same type of roof but it was quiet and I never had a problem with it.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The sunroofs, both on the E60 and E61, are simply noisey after a couple of months. I've long accepted its (unforetunately) a compromise you need to make with the 5er, for having the extra light & fresh air via the roof.

A BMW dealer advised me that you can improve the effectiveness of the seals, if you treat them regularly with "silicon spray". It alledgidly keeps the seals soft and in turn they better close the gaps between the glass-roof and the car. (I have not tried this yet myself.) Anyone else tried this??
Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Mike.Allen' post='765857' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:10 PM
I have just turned my car in to my dealer yet again to fix the sunroof. In short, in three years of ownership, it has proved unnacceptably noisy, with several fixes (including new seals) only ever lasting a month or two; it has leaked (which resulted in a replacement), and now has jammed open; yet another new roof is now being fitted - the third in 3 years and 17k miles. It seems to me there is a fundamental design fault at work; either the whole in the roof is too big for the car's rigidity, or too heavy, or both. Either way I've totally lost faith that it is ever oing to be right. What a waste of ?1170, and what a poor piece of engineering from BMW.
Anyone else on this one?
Regards,
Mike
It needs a lot of maintenance; silicon spray, adjustments at the garage... but I only get an occasional "boinnng!" when I tilt it and there is little or no noise from the sun roof, i.e. more than you expect from a sun roof.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Members

mine 2008 touring didn't have any problems with sunroof. opens/shuts down fine, no leaks, no excessive noise, nothing. But it is only 18k km so far.
@Mike.Allen which model year is your touring?

Also, which sillicon spray does the diller recommends to use for the seals?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by 2f2f' post='771470' date='Jan 19 2009, 08:25 AM
mine 2008 touring didn't have any problems with sunroof. opens/shuts down fine, no leaks, no excessive noise, nothing. But it is only 18k km so far.
@Mike.Allen which model year is your touring?

Also, which sillicon spray does the diller recommends to use for the seals?
My E61 is a 2008 its had noise since day one, have not taken it back to the dealer yet.
This the only issue with the car.

Silicon is silicon just got to a auto store.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Members

I think the roof is the best feature of the car, actually.

I get a little wind noise when the shade is retracted, but when the shade is in place, it's completely quiet.

It's like having a Porsche Targa as a wagon!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Nutbeem' post='774574' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:04 AM
It's like having a Porsche Targa as a wagon!
Well, not exactly. We have an older 911 and there's now way it can keep up with our 535xit!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='771454' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:24 PM
It needs a lot of maintenance; silicon spray, adjustments at the garage... but I only get an occasional "boinnng!" when I tilt it and there is little or no noise from the sun roof, i.e. more than you expect from a sun roof.

so does this mean you have applied the silicon spray yourself? If so, how do you do it; just spray on the rubber seals and wipe the excess away from the surrounding parts ?

Quick Reply: Panoramic sunroof