E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Oil Analysis results are back

Old 11-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,

As you may know, I sent out my oil to get analyzed after 8,000km. The iDrive showed oil change at 16,000km. I just wanted to see if the oil still held up to its properties. Here are the results. It looks like after 8,000km the oil is still in good condition. Aluminum particles show the highest jump, but that could be due to the break in period and aluminum pistons/sleeves.

My verdict, its very safe to drive on the oil for about 12,000km.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil_Analysis.pdf (305.7 KB, 213 views)
Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

I don't know if you guys can see the file or not, if not, can someone post it up. If I need to resend, please let me know, and I will upload it to someone. Sorry I haven't posted anything with attachments before.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='712484' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:41 PM
I don't know if you guys can see the file or not, if not, can someone post it up. If I need to resend, please let me know, and I will upload it to someone. Sorry I haven't posted anything with attachments before.
Don't worry it's working fine! Results look good.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Thanks for sharing this info. Good to know
Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Another good place to check your oil is Blackstone Laboratories. They send you the kit free and you just pay for the test which is $25. Most places charge for the kit.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

How often are you going to sample your oil? Frequent reports will allow you to build up a picture of what's going on inside, so hopefully you can react to pending failures before they happen, as you'll see a trend in particle counts. The Caterpillar guys in the UK do scheduled oil sampling and it allows them to catch bearings, pumps, etc, etc before they fail on heavy earthmoving and quarrying machinery, saving thousands on downtime and repair costs.

I'm curious - do you intend to sample the transmission and final drive? Or are you leaving those to chance....... Be interested to know your thoughts

Cheers

Geoff
Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

so far, this has been my only test.
Based on what I've seen, I will perform my next oil change at 12,000km after this one. Considering that it only costs $30.00CDN to perform this test, I might (just for shits and giggles) perform it again ... just to see whats going on inside.

For other members ... it would be interesting to see how your engine is doing after "x" km. I know every lab/test is different, but see what you guys can do about performing one of these on YOUR engine. Lets get some "intelligent" info on these engines if we can.

~Andy
Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Members

Hi Andy;
For the age of the engine, the numbers are good. During this break-in period, it's very difficult to evaluate any abnormal wear conditions. Silicon seems higher than I would expect (with the UOA history on my VWs, I've never had higher than 11, and that was on a sample with twice the miles and I live on a dirt road), but it's not absurd, and may be typical for this engine.

Do you know what the factory/dealer oil is? The viscosity (reported in centistokes) is at 9.4, which is a bit short of a 30 weight - knowing what the oil was, you'd know if it was still in it's weight class - i.e. maintaining it's viscosity.

Also, you mention you had the dealer draw the sample for you - without knowing exactly how the sample was taken and if the container was new and devoid of contaminants, it can be difficult to trust the results. They may have used a glass jar they wiped out with a dirty rag, and then scooped a sample from the oil catchcan that gets used for every car that passes through - just by way of example.

If you do want to continue with a sampling regimen, I'd highly recommend picking up a sampling kit - it will include a small hand vaccuum pump (like a MityVac, if you're familiar with that), a length of clear plastic tubing, and a number of sampling bottles. Wearcheck.ca (a reputable lab) may offer their own kits, or you can source the components yourself, or you can get a kit from a CAT/Toromont dealer (which is what I do, and is the lab I use). Samples are then drawn from the dipstick tube directly into the sampling bottle. It's very easy and clean to do.

You may wish to browse the BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) forums and see if anyone else is sampling from BMWs:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Good luck and congrats on doing the analysis!

Cheers,
Scott.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fitzski' post='765957' date='Jan 12 2009, 03:03 PM
If you do want to continue with a sampling regimen, I'd highly recommend picking up a sampling kit - it will include a small hand vaccuum pump (like a MityVac, if you're familiar with that), a length of clear plastic tubing, and a number of sampling bottles.
He has a 2008 535xi, which doesn't have a dipstick. The only way to get the sample on a car without a dipstick is to take it when the oil is changed, so a MityVac won't do him any good.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by beaker' post='766802' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:55 PM
He has a 2008 535xi, which doesn't have a dipstick. The only way to get the sample on a car without a dipstick is to take it when the oil is changed, so a MityVac won't do him any good.
Really?! No dipstick?! Wow... I take it that it's left *solely* to the computer then to monitor the oil level? Interesting. That must make filling a bit of a tedious guessing game. Were BMW dipsticks so notoriously prone to failure and mis-use that they saw fit to delete it?

In light of that... the preferred technique for taking a sample while draining is to catch it mid-drain, directly from the stream into the sampling bottle - no transfers. Of course... the dealer is probably using some sealed vaccum system to drain the oil...!

Sorry for the misguided information, then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Analysis results are back