E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

NY Times Reviews X6

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008 | 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Do station wagons have an image problem at the moment in the US?

Or is just the fact that manufacturers focussed on the SUV boom and limited their station wagon offering?

Old 06-25-2008 | 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='609717' date='Jun 25 2008, 10:56 AM
Do station wagons have an image problem at the moment in the US?

Or is just the fact that manufacturers focussed on the SUV boom and limited their station wagon offering?

I do think there is an image issue with some people and station wagons. For some reason that I don't entirely get, people over here have an attraction to SUVs. These same people have some problem with driving a station wagon or minivan (minivan more than the wagon.)

Our other car has always been a minivan and from a utility standpoint, since I don't pull a trailer or anything, it's perfect if you have kids or a bunch of "stuff" to haul around...
Old 06-25-2008 | 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Thanks Rudy.
Makes sense that the whole SUV trend has made station wagons unpopular, and in turn given them an image problem. Still kind of baffling that an E61 suffers as part of this image problem, especially after seeing some of our members' E61s!

Over here station wagons (estates / touring) don't tend to get bundled with mini-vans. Mini-vans have a bit of an image problem, but simply because in general they are designed to be functional and not exciting. There are exceptions to the rule, but they still suffer from "bland" the mini-van/people carrier image.

I think Audi and BMW have done a lot to help the station wagon image in Europe, because they have not sacrificed design over function. The down side is less space as some competing manufacturers, but as the sales figures show, a lot of people are more than willing to make that sacrifice!

It will be interesting to see how things develop state side as drivers look for alternatives to the big gas-guzzling SUVs...
Old 06-25-2008 | 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xiT

I think people, especially women and men who want to be macho, like sitting up above the cars around them. Funny thing is now most of them are also SUV's and pickup trucks. Driving around in my Porsche I feel like an ant amongst big people. In my wagon, not so much.
Old 06-25-2008 | 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that minivans suffer more from an image standpoint than station wagons but I still think there's a relationship there somewhere.

As far as minivans not being exciting, I think it all depends on the model and trim level (probably what you meant by the "exceptions to the rule.") My current van is actually pretty exciting -- a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited. It's loaded with every imaginable option and it's actually very nice!
Take a look here:
http://www.chrysler.com/en/2008/town_country/

Again, in the "Limited" trim, it can compete with some very high end vehicles -- people just need to get past the "I wouldn't be caught dead driving a minivan" issue...

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='609738' date='Jun 25 2008, 11:24 AM
Over here station wagons (estates / touring) don't tend to get bundled with mini-vans. Mini-vans have a bit of an image problem, but simply because in general they are designed to be functional and not exciting. There are exceptions to the rule, but they still suffer from "bland" the mini-van/people carrier image.
Old 06-25-2008 | 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='609779' date='Jun 25 2008, 09:08 AM
I agree that minivans suffer more from an image standpoint than station wagons but I still think there's a relationship there somewhere.

As far as minivans not being exciting, I think it all depends on the model and trim level (probably what you meant by the "exceptions to the rule.") My current van is actually pretty exciting -- a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited. It's loaded with every imaginable option and it's actually very nice!
Take a look here:
http://www.chrysler.com/en/2008/town_country/

Again, in the "Limited" trim, it can compete with some very high end vehicles -- people just need to get past the "I wouldn't be caught dead driving a minivan" issue...
Rudy, I couldn't agree more. We had a 2005 Town and Country Limited and it's been a great vehicle. Best and practical family car we've ever owned. We just replaced it and we were looking at the same van you have. The new redesigned T&C is just a great van - compared to our 2005 the new model has a different engine, changes to the suspension, great interior and the myGig nav and premium audio system is great, as is the dual DVD and Sirius TV (for those that don't know you get the Nickleodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney TV channels delivered via Sirius). It was the car I wanted to get, and we very nearly did, but my wife (who also had a 2000 Town & Country) just thought she would like a change from a van so we ended up with a Mazda CX-9. I like the Mazda, but as a family car I think the T&C is tough to beat and in all fairness Chrysler did a great job with the redesign. I've never understood the minivan thing either - for anyone with kids they're absolutely unbeatable.
Old 06-25-2008 | 05:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='609738' date='Jun 25 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks Rudy.
Makes sense that the whole SUV trend has made station wagons unpopular, and in turn given them an image problem. Still kind of baffling that an E61 suffers as part of this image problem, especially after seeing some of our members' E61s!

I think Audi and BMW have done a lot to help the station wagon image in Europe, because they have not sacrificed design over function. The down side is less space as some competing manufacturers, but as the sales figures show, a lot of people are more than willing to make that sacrifice!

It will be interesting to see how things develop state side as drivers look for alternatives to the big gas-guzzling SUVs...
Hello,
Unlike in the UK, Europe and the rest of the world, both BMW and MBZ in North America discourage having their newer wagons used for towing trailers saying that their SUVs are the vehicles suited for this task. Something or other about putting a car on a boat taking away a vehicle's ability to pull a trailer. I really believe it's a scam to get us to buy their "Made in America" trucks. As an aside, my neighbor tows a trailer with his new Prius!
Al T.

Al T.
Old 06-25-2008 | 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by swajames' post='610067' date='Jun 25 2008, 07:05 PM
Rudy, I couldn't agree more. We had a 2005 Town and Country Limited and it's been a great vehicle. Best and practical family car we've ever owned. We just replaced it and we were looking at the same van you have. The new redesigned T&C is just a great van - compared to our 2005 the new model has a different engine, changes to the suspension, great interior and the myGig nav and premium audio system is great, as is the dual DVD and Sirius TV (for those that don't know you get the Nickleodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney TV channels delivered via Sirius). It was the car I wanted to get, and we very nearly did, but my wife (who also had a 2000 Town & Country) just thought she would like a change from a van so we ended up with a Mazda CX-9. I like the Mazda, but as a family car I think the T&C is tough to beat and in all fairness Chrysler did a great job with the redesign. I've never understood the minivan thing either - for anyone with kids they're absolutely unbeatable.
Glad you agree. On the new T&C, (we had a 2002 limited and a 1999 limited as well) you can see how the Daimler merger influenced the design. Even the key is the same type currently used by M-B.

The only (minor) thing that bugs me is the way the DVD screens block your view. For example, the car has the equivalent of PDC for backing up. Like Mercedes, they put the visual distance indicator right above the rear window so you can see it as you look in the mirror or if you turn your head around. The problem is that if either of the DVD screens are down, you can't see the display at all. In addition, if you get the sunroof (which we did), the forward DVD screen is much lower in order for the roof to slide back. When this DVD screen is down, you pretty much have no visibility rearward via the interior mirror.

Other than those little issues, I'm pretty happy with the van. The new engine is way more powerful than the VTEC that was in the Odyssey. The swivel and go seats and the power fold-down rear seats are really nicely done too...
Old 07-01-2008 | 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 Sport: Space Grey/Blk, Cold Weather Pkg., Nav

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='610173' date='Jun 25 2008, 07:22 PM
Glad you agree. On the new T&C, (we had a 2002 limited and a 1999 limited as well) you can see how the Daimler merger influenced the design. Even the key is the same type currently used by M-B.

The only (minor) thing that bugs me is the way the DVD screens block your view. For example, the car has the equivalent of PDC for backing up. Like Mercedes, they put the visual distance indicator right above the rear window so you can see it as you look in the mirror or if you turn your head around. The problem is that if either of the DVD screens are down, you can't see the display at all. In addition, if you get the sunroof (which we did), the forward DVD screen is much lower in order for the roof to slide back. When this DVD screen is down, you pretty much have no visibility rearward via the interior mirror.

Other than those little issues, I'm pretty happy with the van. The new engine is way more powerful than the VTEC that was in the Odyssey. The swivel and go seats and the power fold-down rear seats are really nicely done too...
I thought I'd pipe in regarding the apparent unpopularity of wagons in the US. I am the very happy owner of an '06MY E61 (530XiT), having purchased the vehicle new in late '06 off the lot of an LA-area dealer. Apparently, both BMW and Audi want to push more wagons out to their US dealers than the dealers are able to sell. I was able to find both A6 Avant and E61s at 20%+ off of list price. It turns out that these cars have been reported as "sold" by the dealer to the manufacturer so that they can get an additional allotment of "desireable" cars to sell. The effect of reporting the vehicle sold is that the warranty (and service plan) begin on the date reported as sold, so you get a shorter warranty and service plan than the full "new car" programs. I judged this to be a fair exchange, as I saved almost $15K from list.

It is clear that there is very limited demand for wagons when the two premium manufacturers of estate/touring/wagon models, BMW and Audi, are forcing their dealers to accept wagons as a condition of receiving more popular models. As far as I'm concerned, we are benefiting from the fact that the American car buyer has not discovered the fantastic balance of utility, sport, comfort and economy that the touring offers. The Europeans have known this for a long time.
Old 07-02-2008 | 04:41 AM
Members

We have two "tourings" an E61 and and E39.

The E39 is a 5-speed, sport and premium package that my son now drives and loves. He takes a little ribbing from his friends until they go places and realize how much stuff it holds while still getting respectable fuel economy and great handling.

The E61 530xiT was purchased used from a dealer who bought it as a factory "buy-back" for software issues. The car is equipped just like a 7 series, high end stereo, bluetooth, nav, multi-contour seats, PDC and satellite (which has expired). The only thing it lacks is iPod interface. It is a great car in its own right and, IMHO, better looking than the sedan.

I've also owned wagon versions of the Volvo 740 Turbo and Saab 9-5. Both great cars as well, though not in the same class as BMW.

I agree with the previous poster who said that people like to be "high up." This is usually from the soccer mom who is afraid that she will get killed in local traffic while not paying attention to the task at hand. The only time I wish I had an SUV is the occasional bulky purchase, like a big flat screen TV or a piece of furniture. Although I was able to get two 46" Sharp LCD TVs in the back, in their boxes, with the rear seats down.

I've driven various cars with the 3.5 twin turbo and I am sure that the 535XiT is a real hot rod.

Around here, though, most BMW wagons are driven by seniors, much to the dismay of my decidedly non-senior wife and son, who drive these wagons.

I think that BMW should go back to the old Volvo Turbo ad line "World's Fastest Grocery Hauler". I remember an advertisement that had (I think) a pickup truck and a Ferrari. Or maybe it said something like it's just a bit slower than a Ferrari but holds more groceries.

The Detroit guys ruined the wagon image by plastering them with faux wood and making them ponderous. Maybe the Brady Bunch ruined it, too.

For my money, the wagon is a real utility vehicle.

Quick Reply: NY Times Reviews X6