E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

is this normal??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

Hey Guys,

everbody knows that the E61 has a compressor for the rear axle..

with my last car I had a busted compressor and they changed it, back then it was 3 years old..

But now with my brand new car( ~6000km) everytime I start my car the compressor seems to work for about 30sec.
I look through my mirror and I can clearly see that the back is going up..
Not only this, it happens also when I let the car stand still for 10 minutes, after starting the compressor blows for about 10-20 secs.

Do you think it's a bad compressor or a leak in the circuit?

Of course I will inform my SA, but for now I'm very busy with school and work, next week I will have my final examination..

strange,that since I picked up the car, there are 4 things that have to be replaced/repaired:
rear axle compressor
right foglight( has water in it)
door seals are squeeking
luggage cover creaks

the worst is when I start the car in the morning the first 30 seconds the car chokes a bit..very strange..

any help?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

we can just hope they have "optimized" the work of the compressor and it just is that way now..

everything else, including a leaking compressor is just odd

fingers crossed you did not get some sort of a lemon - would be a real pity with this beautiful car
Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

doesn't sound right to me -- good luck getting it sorted with your dealer...
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Creaking door seal = Very common BMW fault, no problem
Ceaking rear parcel cover = again common, small amount of silicon grease solves this, my E91 does this, my E61 does not
Water in fog light = two of our cars had light replaced for same reason, very cold weather breaks seals, very common.
Compressor = start of a problem, insist on it being replaced before it fails, Probably a leaking or bad o ring seal.

I don't think you have a lemon, I would just call this common problems. The engine is good, the bodywork good, it never stopped of left you stranded due to break-down, everything else can be repaired easilly and what you mentioned (with exception of common compressor fault) is hardly qualified as a fault / repair. Enjoy your car it's a good-one.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

thanks a lot higher,
I thought about it and came to the same conclusion,but today I heard a rattle from underneath the car, right in the area where the engine and the tranny connect to each other, I hope it's onla a loosen ring from the exhaust system..anyway, the car has another 1 1/2 year warranty..

bye,ivano
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Rattle could be a stone in the sub-frame. Do you drive on unconditioned road, or a loose stone driveway ?

I once had a stone stuck in a sub-frame / suspension part and the rattle drove me crazy for months until one day I looked underneath the car myself and found the thing living in a u-bend sub-frame component.

I also get a little upset by noises, creaks from trim etc, but in the end it's a car and lives and works in a very aggresive environment. My 2008 E61 has little scratches, dents, rattles and stange noises plus about 20/25 things that need to be fixed under warranty when I get my next service, including the air-box which has nearly rattled iself free from the engine and drives me crazy everytime the car is at idle speed.

Other things I do occassionally, to get rid of problems.. is drive the car really aggressively for 30 mins, red-line in every gear, very hard braking, acceleration, this get's rid of the dust and niggles from the car as I usually only drive slow and patiently. Don't know if this really works...but appears to shake down the car a little and it's better than taking a base-ball bat and hitting it....just kidding !!!

Let us know if you find out what the rattle was.