E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

No NCT5s in the UK.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

When I swapped over to my winter wheels and tyres I noticed that one tyre is in need of replacing. Having just bought the winter wheels, I thought I'd wait until the summer ones needed to go back on before spending more money.

Phoned around all the usual suppliers and have been told that Goodyear Eagle NCT5 RF are out of stock everywhere in the country, and no more are being produced for at least a month and a half. The other problem is that because there are no NCTs, people are buying up stock of other tyres in the same size, so they're getting rarer and rarer too.

I didn't want to buyu another brand and have an unmatched pair on the same axle, so I now face a few options.

1) Leave the winter wheels and tyres on until NCT production hits suppliers.
2) Try and find a good one on ebay.
3) Buy two other RF tyres and change both over - selling my good one on to help offset the cost - but then having unmatched tyres front and rear.
4) Buy a full set of 4 other brand RF tyres - selling my three good ones on to help offset the cost.
5) Buy a full set of non-RF tyres - selling my three good ones on to help offset the cost.

The cheapest, and least hassle option, would be number one, but I'm tempted by number 4 so that I can get rid of RF altogether - as I already have the spare wheel kit, I'm not so bothered about being left stranded.

Are there any viable options I've missed. And what would you do?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Unmatched tyres isn't the end of the world, but I would still vote against it, so option 4 would be my choice too. Although, I read the option as that you will buy 4 new RF and not 4 new non-RF, but that's maybe a typo?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

It would appear that www.blackcircles.co.uk has them
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to add a little extra to your planned spending and go for a set of OEM 19s with non-RFTs Sorry, but we cannot just have sensible suggestions here, we do have a reputation to uphold

#5 from your list would be my other choice, just to get away from the RFTs, especially as you have the Spare already.
But if you are going that route, then a (second hand) set of 19s is not going to be light years away from that price -- that was the feeble excuse I used when making the change!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Originally Posted by xBMWx
This sounds like a perfect opportunity to add a little extra to your planned spending and go for a set of OEM 19s with non-RFTs Sorry, but we cannot just have sensible suggestions here, we do have a reputation to uphold
Love to do that, but am looking for a low-cost option. May well leave the 16" wheels and tyres on for now, wait until more RF become available, and make a decision then. Am leaning towards option 5, if only to get away from the RF. Though, if I did that now, while NCT5s are not available, I stand to get more potential buyers for my second hand NCT5s...

WRT to stock, our local dealer has 4 in stock, but they're wanting £250 for one.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

The code BCR789RTS will get you another 5% of at blackcircles bringing them to £210 delivered.

Or go with a good conventional tyre such as the Falken FK452 for £110 each.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by narvselius
Although, I read the option as that you will buy 4 new RF and not 4 new non-RF, but that's maybe a typo?
Option 4 was buy four new RF tyres, but of a different brand - ie one that's not out of stock.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Kell
Love to do that, but am looking for a low-cost option. May well leave the 16" wheels and tyres on for now, wait until more RF become available, and make a decision then. Am leaning towards option 5, if only to get away from the RF. Though, if I did that now, while NCT5s are not available, I stand to get more potential buyers for my second hand NCT5s...

WRT to stock, our local dealer has 4 in stock, but they're wanting £250 for one.
If you sell your M135s and add the £250 x ? you are potentially going to pay for new tyres, then you should be very close to what you would pay for a set of second hand OEM 19s, e.g. M172s. However, I hear you, you are looking for a low cost solution, so I will not mention this route again!

Low cost approach is just finding 1 on ebay or replacing 2 RF tyres.

Just out of interest, is that one wheel much more worn than the one on the other side? In other words, do you have some kind of alignment issue or just a favourite corner on the way home from work?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx
Just out of interest, is that one wheel much more worn than the one on the other side? In other words, do you have some kind of alignment issue or just a favourite corner on the way home from work?
Massively so. But then I had the other rear wheel and tyre replaced just over a year ago after hitting a pothole. Actually, that tyre has been replaced twice since I've had the car as I had a blow out on that corner too.

SO it's hardly surprising there's a discrepancy. The only thing that concerns me is that it's work down the centre strip, which makes me wonder if it's been over-inflated for most of the time. I'd have said not as I normally keep them about 32psi when not loaded.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kell
Massively so. But then I had the other rear wheel and tyre replaced just over a year ago after hitting a pothole. Actually, that tyre has been replaced twice since I've had the car as I had a blow out on that corner too.

SO it's hardly surprising there's a discrepancy. The only thing that concerns me is that it's work down the centre strip, which makes me wonder if it's been over-inflated for most of the time. I'd have said not as I normally keep them about 32psi when not loaded.
Isn't the factory rear pressure more like 38 or even 41? Underinflation of a low profile tyre can cause ballooning at speed which will result in excessive centre wear.

Quick Reply: No NCT5s in the UK.