E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New member -- Got my beautiful E61 home and have a small problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone -- here goes on the first post...

Just purchased a beautiful 2006 E61 as our familymobile. It is replacing a Volvo V70 which has been an absolute workhorse, but I am ready to say goodbye.

The online Volvo community is truly incredible...the knowledge base and sheer number of DIYers has been a tremendous resource over the years. I am hoping the BMW community is the same - so here goes:

The left small round brake light on the liftgate remains illuminated constantly, while driving, while parked and locked (eventually goes out so the battery is not killed...prob. 15 min?), day or night. I have also noticed the left cargo interior light on the D pillar also remains illuminated when the car is parked and locked (have not checked if on all the time...would imagine so).

I have done some digging (always search before posting..my apologies if I missed this somewhere) and it looks like everyone has issues with the liftgate wiring harness and and various lamps not illuminating. I haven't come across someone with a lamp or two that are always illuminated.

Any ideas before I open things up and look into the harness? BTW - all other lights work properly, on when supposed to be on, off when supposed to be off, which makes me think the harness is probably not my problem.

Thank you!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car! Lots of smart people on here...

Can't say I've heard of anyone complain that their lights stayed on b/c of the harness... I was at first going to say maybe it's a rear fog light that's staying on, but then you said that it's an interior light too.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Members

My Ride: E91 sport + touring

I had an issue with my last E61 with the boot lights staying on and it was down to a faulty lock mechanism on the glass section of the tailgate.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by colb666
I had an issue with my last E61 with the boot lights staying on and it was down to a faulty lock mechanism on the glass section of the tailgate.
Maybe on to something here..

After parking today I walked around back to find the light on, then I opened the glass hatch...light goes off immediately, and those interior cargo lights shine much brighter. When the interior lights were on before (with glass hatch closed) they were barely illuminated, must be a mood lighting?

Now I close the glass hatch and the brake light immediately illuminates. Repeat this a few times and get repeatable results - the glass hatch is performing like a light switch.

What happens to others when they open their glass hatch? If the brake light is supposed to be illuminated when open, maybe I have a faulty switch?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 PM
New Members

Well it may well be the glass tail gate catch. I replaced mine last year £30.00 UK. Very easy fix. With mine I got in the car, key fob in, started up and then pop... the glass lid sprung open.. I also recal some strange things going on with the lights.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Members

I am sure it is the wiring in the rear.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Holtz
I am sure it is the wiring in the rear.
Your referring to the common wiring harness issue that everyone experiences? I will pull the rear headliner and have a look..

Turns out this is intermittent. A few weeks ago the light stopped illuminating and I figured the bulb had finally burned out, then it returned a few days ago.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Members

Which wagon did you get? I've been looking for an e61 in the atlanta area recently. Only one okay one so far
Old 08-18-2012, 05:15 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the wiring harness in the roof. they do go bad. some wires could get shorted. superb guide here:
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...rking-t108040/
Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61

I'm new here but have read all the posts on the wiring harness and with all your help I've managed to repair both left side harnesses my luggage compartment lights have been on all time but I just disconnected them' but that's my next task as long as the right hand side harness is ok I might have a look at the switch it sounds like that could be the cause