E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

new (to me) e61 M-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:16 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by ericono
Thanks for the break down explanations guys. I am gaining knowledge little by little. I appreciate your patience.

I have the same question as Yellowjacket. I don't think I have Sport Mode. I don't have any "Sport" button by the tranny shifter and don't think my tranny, steering wheel loading or anything else is different from a non M-sport 2010 535xi. I think the sedans came with the Sport Mode option, but in their infinite wisdom, BMW decided touring drivers didn't want, or need, this. I would like to correct their mistake.

Thanks again!

Eric
I was referring to the "DS" mode when you shift your gear selector to the left.

I recently read this a Sports Button. Sport mode button - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums So now you can correct their mistake ;-)
Old 02-12-2016, 06:28 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 1985 M635, 2010 e61
Model Year: 1985

Yeah, I think that is what I was talking about. Here is another link for I believe is the same thing:

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...-redux-110502/
Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Engine: N54

Yeah, I think that is what I was talking about. Here is another link for I believe is the same thing:

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...-redux-110502/
Yes, that is exactly the mod to which I was referring and why I double-checked with pocholin. The Sport button being added in the Bimmerfest thread is for pre-LCI cars. Ours have a much different electronic gear selector system, and the SAT retrofit is specific to the LCI. The DS mode in the standard 205 Steptronic transmission doesn't do much aside from hold a gear a little longer and allow manual gear selection.

The GKE flash and SAT hardware associated with the 2TB transmission option is definitely different. You can see from my posts in that thread (starting at #96) that I learned a few things the hard way. But it was definitely worth it!

Last edited by GTYellowJacket; 02-12-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:52 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by GTYellowJacket
Yes, that is exactly the mod to which I was referring and why I double-checked with pocholin. The Sport button being added in the Bimmerfest thread is for pre-LCI cars. Ours have a much different electronic gear selector system, and the SAT retrofit is specific to the LCI. The DS mode in the standard 205 Steptronic transmission doesn't do much aside from hold a gear a little longer and allow manual gear selection.

The GKE flash and SAT hardware associated with the 2TB transmission option is definitely different. You can see from my posts in that thread (starting at #96) that I learned a few things the hard way. But it was definitely worth it!
Yeap, I just read it, a little more complicated that I wanted to do. However, it clearly answered a question that I had...answer, I cannot simply do the Sports Mode button in my 2010. thanks for busting my bubble ;-) kidding.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by pocholin
thanks for busting my bubble ;-) kidding.
Any time!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

Yeap, I just read it, a little more complicated that I wanted to do. However, it clearly answered a question that I had...answer, I cannot simply do the Sports Mode button in my 2010. thanks for busting my bubble ;-) kidding.
Look into pedalbox.....from what I understand it makes a huge difference in throttle response and thus gives a whole new feel to driving.

-r
Old 02-13-2016, 04:30 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by oclvframe
Look into pedalbox.....from what I understand it makes a huge difference in throttle response and thus gives a whole new feel to driving.

-r
This pedalbox choice and the Sports mode....now that I think about it, might make the gas pedal too excited. I once tried my MHD Stage 1 with FMIC and the gas pedal got way too sensitive, barely touched it and it was jumping and going high RPMs even at half throttle...didn't like it very much. So, perhaps it is best if I keep it the way it is. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i x-drive touring 6speed manual

Now that is a nice e61...
I May be looking for one like it soon since I'm having a hard time reconciling wife and the manual transmission!

Hello everyone. I am excited as I will be going to pick up our new 2010 e61 M-Sport Touring tomorrow! Here's a few pics from the dealer:

This will be my first e60/e61, but not first BMW. My wife's current grocery getter (until tomorrow anyway) is a 2000 e39 528iT with sport package. I got my daughter a 1998 Z3 1.9l 5-speed, and I have a 1985 e24 M635. We've really enjoyed the e39, but it's now at 16 years old and has ~210k miles on it. I do most of my own maintenance, and the e39 still runs good so I'll take it over for now so that the wife doesn't need to worry about any little odd noises. We looked at a few different options, but in the end she wanted another wagon so I started looking at the e61. I fairly quickly decided I wanted the M-Sport package and then figured out that M-Sport and wagon were not an easy combo to find (in the USA anyway). After a while of searching this one popped up and even turned out to not be that far from me so I went to check it out and jumped on it after a test drive and review of the records.

It's got ~98k miles on it, but within the last year it has had new tires and new brakes installed. A couple of new coils and plugs, and the big one is 2 new turbos replaced under warranty. There's been some other things done as well, but I think those are the bigger ones. I haven't seen anything regarding cleaning of the intake valves so I am assuming that will need to be done in the non-too distant future. The electric water pump and HPFP are on my radar as well.

I am really pumped to get to know the car better! Looking forward to asking questions and hopefully contributing as well.

Take care,

Eric
Old 02-14-2016, 05:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 1985 M635, 2010 e61
Model Year: 1985

Thanks. We've been very happy with it so far. The power has been nice. If you're just looking for a car to jump in and drive you shouldn't go wrong as long a you stay on top of maintenance. If you are looking for a car to mod, there is alot more computer related changes that can be made (compared to my older cars anyway) so that has been a learning curve, but this board has been invaluable in pointing me in the right direction.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll answer when I can and punt if can't.

Take care,

Eric
Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

This pedalbox choice and the Sports mode....now that I think about it, might make the gas pedal too excited. I once tried my MHD Stage 1 with FMIC and the gas pedal got way too sensitive, barely touched it and it was jumping and going high RPMs even at half throttle...didn't like it very much. So, perhaps it is best if I keep it the way it is. Thanks for the tip though.
Yes...it is an amplifier but it has 3 settings and it can be turned off.....seems if you want sporty throttle response that's the cheapest plug-n-play, yet least invasive, way to get it!?!?

All this being said, I've never tried it so I don't really know how much better/worse it'd be to drive with. And, then again, we're talking about stupid me that gets a silly grin every time I put my stock 530 in sport mode....it's plenty fast/fun for me!

Couldn't imagine how much trouble I'd get in with turbos!

-r

Quick Reply: new (to me) e61 M-Sport