E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New here... got a decent e61 with some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmitev
On these cars it is very important to cut the factory bump stops when installing lowering springs. Or alternatively install the much shorter M-sport version of the bump stops.

Search here in the forum, a member has gone exactly through this with H&R springs and his investigation revealed that without cutting the bump stops his suspension had almost no travel. That is, it did not work as suspension. It simply hit the bump stops all the time.

AFAIK, you can still cut them when jacking up the front to gain access to the upper part of the spring, above the wheel.

Yeah I seem to have read both ways, that cutting mattered and some that said it didnt. At any rate, I am going to look into it and probably end up cutting at least a little bit. It does feel like travel is pretty limited.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Snail_power
Yeah I seem to have read both ways, that cutting mattered and some that said it didnt. At any rate, I am going to look into it and probably end up cutting at least a little bit. It does feel like travel is pretty limited.
I know, there are various opinions out there, as with most things about cars. Many people draw conslusions from their mods on other cars, with different springs, shocks etc. etc., and then apply this general experience in a specific statement to a specific model - in this case the E61. Which may simply be wrong...

I also had read various opinions, and did not consider the bump stops a major issue. And then just a few days before installing my Eibachs, decided to take a quick look again, and found this thread from "Dr. Lev" or so, and was surprised how much accurate first-hand info he revealed. Then I decided to ask the shop to cut my "Sports Settings" bump stops by 15 mm, which is 3/4 inch. I've driven my car 1.5 months since then, often over bad roads, and it has not bottomed out even once.

There are so many variables that come into play - your stock suspension height and extent of lowering being the most obvious. Your xi sits considerably higher than a 530i, so your bump stops may be taller than the ones of the 530i, which makes them require cutting, even if the stops on the 530i did not need it. So advice from someone with 530i or 545i may simply not apply to your car.

I guess if you are hitting the bump stops often, that means that cutting them will make things better.

Sorry for the long post
Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
I know, there are various opinions out there, as with most things about cars. Many people draw conslusions from their mods on other cars, with different springs, shocks etc. etc., and then apply this general experience in a specific statement to a specific model - in this case the E61. Which may simply be wrong...

I also had read various opinions, and did not consider the bump stops a major issue. And then just a few days before installing my Eibachs, decided to take a quick look again, and found this thread from "Dr. Lev" or so, and was surprised how much accurate first-hand info he revealed. Then I decided to ask the shop to cut my "Sports Settings" bump stops by 15 mm, which is 3/4 inch. I've driven my car 1.5 months since then, often over bad roads, and it has not bottomed out even once.

There are so many variables that come into play - your stock suspension height and extent of lowering being the most obvious. Your xi sits considerably higher than a 530i, so your bump stops may be taller than the ones of the 530i, which makes them require cutting, even if the stops on the 530i did not need it. So advice from someone with 530i or 545i may simply not apply to your car.

I guess if you are hitting the bump stops often, that means that cutting them will make things better.

Sorry for the long post
Thanks for the input. Yeah it definitely makes total sense, I just wish I knew this before I installed springs so I could have gotten some shorter bump stops. I am sure I will end up trimming mine... Just a matter of when I get a chance to mess with it.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Members

I got some V710s on... still waiting for BMW center caps to arrive from Khoalty in the next few days. I wanted gun metal V710s but I found these for sale locally and thought I would give them a shot.

I also installed a black out rear badge.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 530xiT Black/Black Nav pan roof tint 30%/20% F/R, LED Interior, Matte Kidney Grills, RPi intake scoop, 5W LED AE's, Backed out emblems...

very nice! I want mine to look just like this!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Members

Wheels look great! Wheel/tire sizes and offsets?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by constant
Wheels look great! Wheel/tire sizes and offsets?
Thanks they are VMR V710s 19 x 8.5 +35 F and 19 x 9.5 +33 R, So far working out well. I got some BMW center caps in the mail the other day, cant wait to get them on.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Members

Good work on the wagon! Quick question though. With the lowering springs, are you worried about any negative effects on your other suspension components? And how did you combat the excessive negative camber issue (if there was one)?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JerzyBoy973
Good work on the wagon! Quick question though. With the lowering springs, are you worried about any negative effects on your other suspension components? And how did you combat the excessive negative camber issue (if there was one)?

I have driven my last .... at least 10 cars on lowered suspension. I have yet to see any undue wear on other compononents just from lowering. I suppose my stock shocks might go a little bit quicker but I would probably rather just upgrade them anyway... haha

Negative camber correction is done via alignment. On my old BMW I had just knocked off the alignment "pegs" that set the camber by default and had the shop adjust it to my spec. I doubt I will do that in this case but camber is adjustable on the front enough to get it back within desired range. If its out of range in the rear or something I will just deal with it. A little negative camber doesnt hurt (too much toe is a tire killer though).