E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New here... got a decent e61 with some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I have been reading up on e61s a bit ever since my A4 Avant s line titanium was totaled a few weeks ago from a really bad driver who rear ended me going about 50mph.

After test driving about 6-7 pre-lci e61 wagons at various stealerships around southern california I finally found one I liked in san diego at a bmw dealer a couple hours drive away from me in LA. It was extremely difficult to find a car with black interior, a cool color exterior and matched the options I had on my A4 (nav, cold weather, sport etc). So I have a few questions about the car that hopefully someone can help.

#1. I want to lower it, this thing looks like a monster truck. :thumbsdown: So I am thinking H&R springs for front and lowering the rear via the sensors. My A4 had eibach sports but I think this car needs to go lower than those go.

#2. I am pretty sure I have the aux jack in the arm rest, but it seems like it is pushed in somehow. Like someone tried to plug something in with a hulk fist. So my question is, how the hell do I fix this? do I even have an aux jack in there somewhere? Can I just fish it out by taking apart the arm rest? (see photo taken from inside arm rest)

#3. I was thinking of putting spacers on the wheels. My my measurements it seems like a 20mm can fit for rear and 12.5 for front should be about right. I read that the factory offset is 43, seems like 23 is a pretty low offset in the rear for an awd car. Am I off on this? I want a little more poke. I might end up just finding some VMR V710s in 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 +35 and +33 respectively.

Monster truck! haha

Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Hello and welcome , from a fellow e61/Audi owner. I will address what I can.

1. From what I've seen springs leave something to be desired , there was a set in the fs section lately. I went with kw v3' the only coilover option for the xi's pricey but worth it.

2. I have no clue, check out realoem.com you maybe able to see what you need or at least how to get at it..

3. The vmr specs you listed is where you want to be. I running 20mm /17mm on a set of 135i wheels I never feel good about them.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TLO03
Hello and welcome , from a fellow e61/Audi owner. I will address what I can.

1. From what I've seen springs leave something to be desired , there was a set in the fs section lately. I went with kw v3' the only coilover option for the xi's pricey but worth it.

2. I have no clue, check out realoem.com you maybe able to see what you need or at least how to get at it..

3. The vmr specs you listed is where you want to be. I running 20mm /17mm on a set of 135i wheels I never feel good about them.

Cool thanks for the help! Yeah I am kind of worried the springs will be lame or not enough drop. I have seen on B7 a4s people use lower spring perches from B5s and it gives another like half inch or something of drop. its just the perfect addition. I am hoping there might be something like that for the e61.

After I posted I tore my entire console apart only to realize the small hole in the arm rest has nothing to do with the AUX jack. haha... man I was bummed when I opened the glove box and noticed the aux jack. What is that thing in the arm rest with the sliding cover? The dealer told me it was the aux.

As far as coilovers, I have had a few cars with coilovers... and most recently a bmw wagon I did a ton of work to as a fun beater. I did not like the way they rode and the were KWs. So I would like to keep it cheap and more comfy with springs.

and before... lol

Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Members

I only have a good answer for #2.

But first of all: Don't call them stealerships, look what these cars cost in the Netherlands!!!!

#2 isn't an aux-input, it's a cooling-outlet from the airco to keep the compartment cool. Put a beer, refreshment there and it stays cool
Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Just a note on coilovers...there is another brand that will fit our 4x4's other than the KW v3's, they are CKS and have come highly recommended from Trinity Autosports. I'm actually going to get these on my 535xi as soon as I scoop up the funds for them. But, Nerwyll from Trinity (who is an awesome vendor), has really convinced me that they will be the way to go, with the optional springs (SWIFT), that they offer. Here is a link to their page and item: http://www.trinityautosport.com/coil...ies-p-358.html
Originally Posted by Snail_power
Cool thanks for the help! Yeah I am kind of worried the springs will be lame or not enough drop. I have seen on B7 a4s people use lower spring perches from B5s and it gives another like half inch or something of drop. its just the perfect addition. I am hoping there might be something like that for the e61.

After I posted I tore my entire console apart only to realize the small hole in the arm rest has nothing to do with the AUX jack. haha... man I was bummed when I opened the glove box and noticed the aux jack. What is that thing in the arm rest with the sliding cover? The dealer told me it was the aux.

As far as coilovers, I have had a few cars with coilovers... and most recently a bmw wagon I did a ton of work to as a fun beater. I did not like the way they rode and the were KWs. So I would like to keep it cheap and more comfy with springs.

and before... lol

Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=626098

More spring unhappiness
Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TLO03
Thanks for sharing... definitely no way I am dropping $2k+ on suspension for this car.

So, I bought some H+R springs and I love the way my wagon is sitting now. I do feel a little ride harshness but its not unbearable. It feels like it pretty easily bottoms out on the bump stops especially over speed bumps in my parking structure at home. So far I am happy though... I did the rear via mechanically turning the sensors myself.

I also tinted the windows (huge improvement on cutting down LA sun). Sorry its a little dirty in the photos, ran out of time after doing my interior haha

And I took the interior from this...

To this via dinoc (VERY time consuming btw)

Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM
New Members

Couple of thoughts

1. How many miles have you put on the car and in what traffic conditions? I ask as you are going to make significant modifications to the ride and handling
2. Bentley make s pretty good manual for the car you might get one
3. Did the owners manual come with the car?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mjbauer
Couple of thoughts

1. How many miles have you put on the car and in what traffic conditions? I ask as you are going to make significant modifications to the ride and handling
2. Bentley make s pretty good manual for the car you might get one
3. Did the owners manual come with the car?
I live in downtown LA, so basically i sit at a snails pace in LA traffic in any direction I go. lol... My commute involves the hollywood fwy aka the 101 about 25 miles which is basically automotive hell at any time of day any day of the week. However I do make frequent mountain trips in the winter and why I got an XI to replace my quattro. But, for the record Im from detroit and familiar with Milford. I have traded up Pine Knob in the winter for Mammoth mtn and Bear mtn.

Yeah I might pick up a bentley or just figure out what I can myself and via google.

Yeah I bought it from a BMW dealer who incidentally replaced all factory manuals. Pretty thick book!!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Snail_power
It feels like it pretty easily bottoms out on the bump stops especially over speed bumps in my parking structure at home.
On these cars it is very important to cut the factory bump stops when installing lowering springs. Or alternatively install the much shorter M-sport version of the bump stops.

Search here in the forum, a member has gone exactly through this with H&R springs and his investigation revealed that without cutting the bump stops his suspension had almost no travel. That is, it did not work as suspension. It simply hit the bump stops all the time.

AFAIK, you can still cut them when jacking up the front to gain access to the upper part of the spring, above the wheel.

Quick Reply: New here... got a decent e61 with some questions!