E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

new guy's questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by smpzone' post='1075069' date='Dec 17 2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks therussian. appreciate your help.
so I'm not going to lower it since I don't want to mess with quality of ride.

another question.

I noticed the rear height is same with my brother's 5 but his front is lower than mine.
is taht only for sport package?

while i'm at it, let me shoot out some more questions.

So, all picture of wagons I saw on forum is not dropped?
So if I fit 19's, it will fit and look good? not riding too high?

Maybe it's because I drove lowered Lexus IS, i'm not use to it yet.

can oyu guys post some picture of your e61? especially the ones not dropped but with 19" wheels
for me to see and believe that it looks good?

when I get the mtec kit, VB3, black kidney grill, and shadow line trim...i'll be broke for a while.
No, there are some wagons lowered and you can find them on the forum, but I think V_therussian wanted to say that the X models are a bit more difficult to drop than non-X models. And especially when we're talking about X model wagon car, there are even more difficulties to drop the car. As he mentioned, the KW V3 is available for your car, but I don't know if anyone has it, yet.

X model cars sit a bit higher than non-X models with a non-sport suspension, so that's why your brother's 5 sits higher in a front. Or is his car X model as well? A sport package sits about an inch lower than a non-sport suspension.

- Antti -
Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

You can just call me V

And yes, if you just had a RWD wagon, it would not be a problem to drop on springs alone. It is when you start dealing with the AWD (X-drive) car that you'll run into problems: of the top of my head, you're gonna be looking at mismatched shocks/struts (i.e. bounce back when you go over bumps, and the inherent loss of handling due to this), most likely you'll also be hitting bumpstops (the car will "crash" on the big potholes and expansion joints). That's just to name a couple. If you research the forums and see the kind of problems that springs alone may cause, you'll realize that the coilovers is actually the cheaper route in the long run - especially, if you consider the added benefits of better handling and adjustable ride height.

That said, do I agree that you should give up dropping the car? No. I would recommend very strongly that if you are going to get the 19s (particularly, the CSL-styles, since they are so delicate-looking) that you do bite the bullet and get a set of KW's. So much so, that I suggest you do the drop and rims first and then save up for the m-tech, or buy the m-tech piece-by-piece, gradually. The car just won't look right without the drop on 19s - not the Xi with it's standard ride height.

That's it, I'm not gonna try to convince you anymore - I know that you're still gonna wanna make up your own mind, so the only thing I want to add is: make sure you do your research before you make any major moves. And if you ever have any specific questions, you can always PM me or start a thread.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1075148' date='Dec 17 2009, 04:45 AM
You can just call me V

And yes, if you just had a RWD wagon, it would not be a problem to drop on springs alone. It is when you start dealing with the AWD (X-drive) car that you'll run into problems: of the top of my head, you're gonna be looking at mismatched shocks/struts (i.e. bounce back when you go over bumps, and the inherent loss of handling due to this), most likely you'll also be hitting bumpstops (the car will "crash" on the big potholes and expansion joints). That's just to name a couple. If you research the forums and see the kind of problems that springs alone may cause, you'll realize that the coilovers is actually the cheaper route in the long run - especially, if you consider the added benefits of better handling and adjustable ride height.

That said, do I agree that you should give up dropping the car? No. I would recommend very strongly that if you are going to get the 19s (particularly, the CSL-styles, since they are so delicate-looking) that you do bite the bullet and get a set of KW's. So much so, that I suggest you do the drop and rims first and then save up for the m-tech, or buy the m-tech piece-by-piece, gradually. The car just won't look right without the drop on 19s - not the Xi with it's standard ride height.

That's it, I'm not gonna try to convince you anymore - I know that you're still gonna wanna make up your own mind, so the only thing I want to add is: make sure you do your research before you make any major moves. And if you ever have any specific questions, you can always PM me or start a thread.
Thanks a bunch, your info is highly appreciated. I was thinking the same thing, it wouldn't look right with 19's with standard xi height. Now I save up for KW's or leave it stock. thanks, i'm sure i'll ask more question down the line.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Members

how can I contact Macfly? for coil over pricing? if you see this Macfly, please pm me with some info,. thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by smpzone' post='1075241' date='Dec 17 2009, 06:44 PM
how can I contact Macfly? for coil over pricing? if you see this Macfly, please pm me with some info,. thanks.
You can contact macfly via private mail after you have gathered few posts here on the forums.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by smpzone' post='1075241
You can contact macfly via private mail after you have gathered few posts here on the forums.
+1 for pm'ing MacFly for KW V3 purchase...
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by smpzone' post='1075241

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1075323' date='Dec 17 2009, 11:18 AM
+1 for pm'ing MacFly for KW V3 purchase...
^^ thank you both!