E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New E61 - Me Too

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

I've checked the tyre pressure yesterday and found it was about 10 % higher than recommended. Let some air out and was astonished how much this improved the ride.

Don't get me wrong I'm not going to say the RFTs are running smoothly now but its a definite improvement vs before.

Still think the RFTs are not the right kind of tyres to put on a car like this.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

Originally Posted by Kaine' post='250054' date='Mar 5 2006, 08:32 PM
wales,

sorry mate, but IMHO I think you just read it wrong - I for one thought new-kid was just being helpful.

Kaine
I had read all of the complaints about the ride of runflats, but for the ride was already an improvement over my BMW X5 w/out Sports package. That was way more bumpy, so was my Mercedes SLK.

If you ever get a flat, you may rethink your feelings of runflats. I absolutely abhor having to stop in the middle of my busy schedule to either wait for the repair truck to come or to change the fricken tire myself. I have no time for that. With runflats I have already averted that twice. I just drove to the nearest tire repair place and they plugged it for me in 10 minutes and I was on my way!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Welcome aboard Hollies.

I had mine on 19" non-RF, and in addition to the rave reviews appearance-wise, am happy with ride. Different to the E39 sport but not worse. The demo cars, back to back, showed me the difference.

I added HiFi sound after opinions here and agree it was a good option.

Biggest disappointment (taking into account that it is one of the top items for me in ANY car) is the seat. Not uncomfortable, or else I wouldn't have bought the car, but too flat. Not a patch on the E39 or even the one in the E90 sport. Nearly had comfort seats but thought they looked like a settee, just need more side 'grip'. Not a cheap option either.

SatNav works much better than the old Mk3, but don't like having to turn the map on every time. I am used to having the map as background.

Still finding the little touches. Complained to BMW about not getting the glovebox torch though. How cheap can you get? :thumbsdown:

Does yours have dust covers on the locking wheel nuts? Mine doesn't although previous ones did.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Thanks for your perspective blingo.

No dustcovers on my E61 either. Fully share your observations on the other points.

One week with the new car and I still think the suspension / roadholding is not what it should be ... strange mix of too harsh reaction to small road surface irregularities and wobbly feel on very uneven roads (hard to describe). This is my 6th 5-series and none of the ones before did that.

I've tested two E60s - one with 'normal' suspension and one with 'sport suspension' which both behaved differently although one firmer than the other - as you would expect.

I'm starting to wonder whether its the RFTs or the 'normal' suspension set up that is responsible for this. Having second thoughts whether the sports suspension is actually improving the ride on the E61

AAARG !
Old 03-09-2006, 10:45 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='252216' date='Mar 9 2006, 07:38 PM
harsh reaction to small road surface irregularities

and wobbly feel on very uneven roads (hard to describe). This is my 6th 5-series and none of the ones before did that.
Harsh reaction is certainly the runflats. When I changed to GS-D3's the change was remarkable, far better grip as the tyres stayed in contact with the road more, the RFT's seemed to skip off every blemish in the road.

Wobbly feel is, I think down to the rear suspension. I still get this, in fact it might be worse with the Goodyears, possibly because the improvement in other aspects of the ride means you notice it a bit more.

It seems better when I have a heavier load in the back seat...........................................lik e the mother in law.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Members

Thanks for your perspective KAF - will try the idea with the mother in law first
Old 03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I can't take the M-in-Law, the 19" tyres restrict the payload...

I don't recognise the problems you are describing, I am well with the 19s. It would be easy to believe that the car was designed for them. It doesn't however like speed bumps, I've never been over them as slowly in my life.

P.S. BMW customer services gave me the (very polite, but still a) snub, but dealer gave me a torch It has to be said that the dealer (Rydale) has been sterling throughout.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

congrats
Old 04-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i M Sport Touring (E61): Mystic Blue with Beige Leather and Light Poplar Wood Trim | M Sport Package: Anthracite Headlining, Dechroming, 18" M Spoke Alloy Wheels (135) & RFT's, M Sport Steering Wheel, Sports Seats, M Door Entry Sill Trims, M Sport Suspension Settings, M Aero Bodykit I | Pro NAV | Bluetooth Prep | Xenons | Adapative Headlights | Headlight Washers | HUD | PDC | Automatic Air Con - Advanced | Automatic Tailgate Operation | Heated Front Seats | Sun Protection Glass | Non-Smoker Package |

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='250212' date='Mar 5 2006, 08:27 PM
I've checked the tyre pressure yesterday and found it was about 10 % higher than recommended. Let some air out and was astonished how much this improved the ride.

Don't get me wrong I'm not going to say the RFTs are running smoothly now but its a definite improvement vs before.

Still think the RFTs are not the right kind of tyres to put on a car like this.
As I've just ordered my new E61 I have time to modify the order. Given the anti RFT feeling on the forums should I change for normal tyres? I have ordered the M Sport package so the sports suspension may help the feel of the RFT's. Also like The Hollies suggestion of reducing the tyre pressure as this could improve feel.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Members

1,500 miles with the new car and I still can't fall in love with the feel of the RFTs.

I've actually gone back to the dealer stating my disappointment with the tyres.

I'm curious to hear back from BMW what they will tell me about this subject.

Personally, with sports package I would go for non RFTs.

Quick Reply: New E61 - Me Too