E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New E61 - Me Too

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

My E61 arrived this week as well

Great car. Not my first BMW but certainly the one that feels most advanced.

I'm very happy about my choice of colors (Titanium Grey / Auburn / Maple Wood) as it is something new and different from what I see regularly on the streets. Very impressed with the HiFi loudspeaker system - what a difference vs the ordinary speakers - fantastic sound.

Only thing I find to be a real step backwards vs the E39 it replaces is the ride. Its much harsher without providing better roadholding.

Guess guilty of this are the Run Flat Tyres (135 wheels / 225/50 R17). They have a pretty 'wooden' feel (or no feel for that matter).

Any recommendations which tyres work best ?

PS Tried to attach picture - for whatever reasons AOL wouldn't let me
Old 03-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='249320' date='Mar 3 2006, 06:25 PM
My E61 arrived this week as well

Great car. Not my first BMW but certainly the one that feels most advanced.

I'm very happy about my choice of colors (Titanium Grey / Auburn / Maple Wood) as it is something new and different from what I see regularly on the streets. Very impressed with the HiFi loudspeaker system - what a difference vs the ordinary speakers - fantastic sound.

Only thing I find to be a real step backwards vs the E39 it replaces is the ride. Its much harsher without providing better roadholding.

Guess guilty of this are the Run Flat Tyres (135 wheels / 225/50 R17). They have a pretty 'wooden' feel (or no feel for that matter).

Any recommendations which tyres work best ?
PS Tried to attach picture - for whatever reasons AOL wouldn't let me
I'm about to change my tyres over to non run flats as like you i find the ride unacceptable. Are you listeneing BMW??

I'm probably going to go for goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 widely regarded as one of the best summer/performance tyres although there are also some good deals to be had on Conti sport contact 2's which also happen to be standard fit on the m5 which curiously doesnt use run flats???

My only advice is to stay clear of Dunlop sport 01's without doubt the worst tyre i've ever had
Old 03-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 523i M Sport Touring (Auto) - Silver Grey VW Touareg 2.5tdi Sport (Auto) - Shadow Blue

Enjoy your new ride (learning the new lingo too now - )

On the picture front, try using photobucket or similar to host your pics - free and very easy photobucket link

Kaine
Old 03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

suggest search for previous entries on tyres - replacing run-flats is an extremely common theme (been there done that)
Old 03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='249442' date='Mar 3 2006, 09:46 PM
suggest search for previous entries on tyres - replacing run-flats is an extremely common theme (been there done that)
Surely the point of these forums is for people to share their thoughts and opinions not to moan about posts being repeated lighten up please.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

ContiSportContact2s... not as 'performance' as Michelin PS2s, but will really help smooth out the ride and improve traction/handling.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:07 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I have Goodyear GS-D3's, they are OK.

better than the Bridgestone RFT's that were OEM.

Next change I will probably go for the Conti's SC2's. I have always had good results from Conti on my cars.

Michelin do not do the PS2 in your size.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

WAles34part - don't be so over sensitive ! as the questioner is a new member thought he might find lots of useful info through a search
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='249796' date='Mar 4 2006, 07:27 PM
WAles34part - don't be so over sensitive ! as the questioner is a new member thought he might find lots of useful info through a search
"as the questioner is a new member thought he might find lots of useful info through a search"

why couldnt you put it like that first time round rather than the harsh patronising reply you made first time.

Glad youve lightened up a little.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:32 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 523i M Sport Touring (Auto) - Silver Grey VW Touareg 2.5tdi Sport (Auto) - Shadow Blue

wales,

sorry mate, but IMHO I think you just read it wrong - I for one thought new-kid was just being helpful.

Kaine

Quick Reply: New E61 - Me Too