E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New CPO, very concerned, AC issue. Any guesses??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CPO, very concerned, AC issue. Any guesses??

Hi all,

This is my first post, forgive me if this a known issue, I have googled it and also searched here.

My2010 535ix, which I got last August with 23,000 miles, has been in the garage for over a week at BMW Manhattan. Apparently they haven't found the issue, or else. I brought it in a few weeks ago for fuel injectors failure (that was easy to google) and I found out that the HPFP was replaced at 900 miles. Yikes!

Anyway, the impending issue is that the air con can only blow hot air under the dash, no matter what setting you use. I have tried all settings. It blows cold on top (although it feels constipated) but it only comes out really hot at the bottom. Naturally if I choose the top vents only, it works fine. My 2006 325i had very few issues in the five years I owned. This one seems demonic. There are other strange things, but I was hoping that some aficionado here could chime in while I wait for the dealer to tell me what the heck is going on.

The car is still under original warranty, plus I have a maintenance contract, so I am not worried about the cost. It's other things here that have me concerned.

Thanks anticipated for your collaboration

PD
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Hi there, congrats on the car, first of all. Don't worry that the HPFP was replaced at 900 miles. So many of these cars have had it done. I'd just make sure the latest one is in there now, based on the recall that came out a year ago. The part numbers of the pumps have changed over the years as they tried to improve them, and the latest one seems to have been the permanent fix.

For the air temp, I'm stating the obvious, but you have adjusted the temp I hope on the auto setting? I mean, when you press the Auto button, on iDrive screen, you'll see a temp range, which is then adjusted before the screen disappears by rotating the iDrive knob. This temp is independent of the temp setting you've set.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
New Members

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have tried every combination, wether the main dial in auto position, with recirculating, auto rec, etc. this also, while turning the individual knobs on the dash all the way to the left. Then, pushing the temp dials to distribute the air from,top, middle and bottom.
No matter the setting, the kneeboard temp is always engine hot. Additionally, I noticed fume smells while driving with my family on the highway. There was not a truck or anything also when this strange event occurred. I was able to show a friend of mine who also corroborated the problem on the passenger side while I drove. I was also able to demonstrate to the service representative. Yet, I got a call three days after I turned in and they said there was nothing wrong. The dude was on vacation, so was I. I explained to the other service rep and she never called me back. It's been 8 business days. The dealer won't call me back or tell me what is wrong. I am having nightmares of my new car with the dash removed, gathering dust in some chop shop lol.