E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New 535xi

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We picked up our new 535xi touring (or sport wagon as they call them over here) last week. It's a USA MY08 which basically means LCI. Since we didn't order, we gave a list of options that we wanted, and our sales guy checked inventory all over the USA to find a match and perform a stock swap.

It's black sapphire metallic, black leather, automatic transmission, 18" Style 124 wheels, sport package (sport steering wheel, multi-contour seats, shadowline trim), premium package (leather upholstery and door trim, universal garage door opener, auto dimming interior rear view and power-folding exterior rear view mirrors, auto rear liftgate), cold weather package (heated front seats, heated steering wheel(?), headlight washers, ski bag), navigation system, Park Distance Control, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, Logic7, iPod/USB adapter.

I am jealous of those of you that can order the M-sport kit, and I really wish I could just get a plain 535i touring. I think the iPod/USB (6FL) option is a little too new; a couple sales guys and a service advisor didn't know about the special iPod cable that's supposed to come with the iPod/USB adapter.

Anyway, it's a very NICE car. My driving impression is the ride quality of a non-sport suspension 5-series with the smooth power of our 2003 E39 540i but coupled to an automatic transmission, i.e. slight lag when your brain says go and the car actually starts to move. We had a 2000 E46 323iT, and my wife always complained about the lack of power (mind you, she was driving an E46 M3 at the time). When I asked for her opinion after driving this car for a few minutes, she said, "Oh yeah, MUCH better than the old 323i!"

I'd post pics, but it needs a car wash after the drive from Southern California to Northern California.

I didn't see anyway mention getting xDrive with their E61, but has anyone gotten Goodyear tires of all things? We got Eagle NCT5 EMT runflats. Oh yeah, someone was wondering about staggered tires with the 18" wheels, and the answer is that the tires are 245/40-18 all around.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Congrats on your new touring.

I had Goodyears on my E60. I have Bridgestones on my E61. I prefer the ride of the Goodyears hands down over the Bridgestones.

I understand your lament regarding not being able to delete the x-drive as an option. After going through a winter with the x-drive, I am now a believer. In a warm climate where the car never sees snow, it may be a redundant feature.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats and enjoy
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Gongrats on the new car. Wait till you break it in it runs even better. I'd like to know how you like the ride with the 18's on the car? I have the 535XI e60 but I don't have the sports pack. My car has 17's and I'm looking to upgrade to 18's and have been shopping for a month now. The problem with the XI cars is that we are very limited on wheel styles we can use because of the offset. Anyway , again congrats.....
Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Members

Sounds like a great car. I would never have the patience to own a black vehicle that would be driven in the winter months but I bet it looks great! Congrats and enjoy.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='442838' date='Jul 2 2007, 10:49 PM
Gongrats on the new car. Wait till you break it in it runs even better. I'd like to know how you like the ride with the 18's on the car? I have the 535XI e60 but I don't have the sports pack. My car has 17's and I'm looking to upgrade to 18's and have been shopping for a month now. The problem with the XI cars is that we are very limited on wheel styles we can use because of the offset. Anyway , again congrats.....
Ride is more comfortable than our 2003 E39 540i manual (comes with sport package standard) which has 18" wheels. So I'd say between the two, the sport suspension has a bigger effect on ride quality than going from 17" to 18" wheels. Go for the 18" rims!

As an aside, I actually wasn't looking to upgrade to the 18" wheels; this particular car just came with them. I'm not complaining.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535 XiT, Space Grey/Black with Poplar Wood, Steptronic Auto, Premium/Sport/Cold Package, Comfort Access, Multi Contour Seats, PDC, Rear Shades.

I picked up my 535xi with all the same options as Poeka but mine was Space Gray. Did not want to wait 8 weeks for the Platinum Gray to come in. Best feature so far is the Comfort Access, although sometimes it does not want to work right away.

Engine has a lot of power on reserve when you need it and is very torque - y. All in all, cool ride. I might be ordering the Mtech kit soon just need to find a shop I can trust to put it in.

I'll be posting pics soon.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Congrats for the new car.
Pics are welcome.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by poeka' post='443089' date='Jul 3 2007, 04:17 PM
Ride is more comfortable than our 2003 E39 540i manual (comes with sport package standard) which has 18" wheels. So I'd say between the two, the sport suspension has a bigger effect on ride quality than going from 17" to 18" wheels. Go for the 18" rims!

As an aside, I actually wasn't looking to upgrade to the 18" wheels; this particular car just came with them. I'm not complaining.
Cool thanks...
Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by banawe' post='443246' date='Jul 4 2007, 04:22 AM
I picked up my 535xi with all the same options as Poeka but mine was Space Gray. Did not want to wait 8 weeks for the Platinum Gray to come in. Best feature so far is the Comfort Access, although sometimes it does not want to work right away.

Engine has a lot of power on reserve when you need it and is very torque - y. All in all, cool ride. I might be ordering the Mtech kit soon just need to find a shop I can trust to put it in.

I'll be posting pics soon.
Are you in NY or anywhere close? I may have it installed on mine also so if you find a place let me know.

Thanks Rick...

Quick Reply: New 535xi