E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Need some advice-I'm about to buy an 06 530xi wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I know probably I got a lemon, as not everyone else on the forum I was on was having as many issues as I. I think the previous gens were better. But their sales have tanked over the last few years, so maybe I'm not alone...
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Members

FWIW, I've had both a 2004 Mercedes Wagon E320 with the air suspension and a 2006 E61. IMO the Mercedes was the better car, more reliable, but the BMW handled better. As a previous poster mentioned, the BMW is self leveling, meaning it is not as complcated as MB ( only the rear) but still a potential driveability problem. I just sold my E61 and was disappointed with several things, such as fit and finish, where MB is much better.

If it were me, If you do not like the uncertainty of repairs, especially when out of warranty, then you need to look for something that is in your price range, with a warranty. If I just put $10K into a 2006 car, i would keep it and drive it, rather than dumping it for anotherunknown 2006 car, with possible issues that could still cost several thousands of $$...I guess, for me, better the devilI know than the one I do not know.

I've had two 5 series BMW wagons and 2 MB wagons ( C class and E class) Hands down the E class was the best of the bunch.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Members

My .02 -

We have an '06 and '10 E61. I like the door handle/switch location better on the 06. The 06 uses DVD-based Nav which has better maps and can be more easily upgraded.

The 06 is a 12/05 build. I have replaced the general body module ($1,500), rear liftgate latch, the washer fluid tank, tires, battery and the entire CCC head unit (that was under warranty).

The center stop light just stopped working (and I fear it is a wiring loom issue) and the liftgate hydraulics are starting to sound "funny." (that's almost $2,000 in parts, new)

It is a fabulous driving car. It is not cheap to maintain, as no BMW is. But it has never left us stranded anywhere. AWD is amazing in the Florida rain.

OTOH, the '10 has had a consistent problem with the liftgate, the hard drive-based nav sucks, the standard stereo is put to shame by the speakers on my Blackberry (exaggeration, but you get the idea). The engine is a little better, but not much. The voice commands are more convoluted, as the onboard system is essentially the system in the F10/F11. I have an F10, and the voice command is frustrating, particularly where the phone is concerned.

the '06 has 57K miles on it. It's still rock solid. But it costs money to maintain and fix, is all I'm saying.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Originally Posted by jwestpro
Interesting. I guess the older model xc70 are better? My friends have loved theirs and so far are around 100,000 miles but it is an earlier generation.
I wouldn't say better to be honest as Volvo has never really fixed certain known issues. The drive shafts mentionned by Lotus99 was an issue with our 2003 XC70 as well. In our case so where the inner tie rods, steering rack, some module in the dash that never goes bad that had to be ordered from Sweden and cost 900$, plus the constant engine mounts that need replacing and last but not the least brakes, the brakes in general on a Volvo suck.... I do however miss the cargo capacity of our Volvo but given all of the repairs over 10K in 2 years (thank god for the CPO warranty!!!). Got rid of it when there was one month left when we got the E61.

45K km and two and half years later still running great, yes had a few issues nothing serious though and the brakes are still in great condition.

Let's face it owning a german car comes with a few headaches but the positives outway the negatives by a mile.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Spartan335i
I wouldn't say better to be honest as Volvo has never really fixed certain known issues. The drive shafts mentionned by Lotus99 was an issue with our 2003 XC70 as well. In our case so where the inner tie rods, steering rack, some module in the dash that never goes bad that had to be ordered from Sweden and cost 900$, plus the constant engine mounts that need replacing and last but not the least brakes, the brakes in general on a Volvo suck.... I do however miss the cargo capacity of our Volvo but given all of the repairs over 10K in 2 years (thank god for the CPO warranty!!!). Got rid of it when there was one month left when we got the E61.

45K km and two and half years later still running great, yes had a few issues nothing serious though and the brakes are still in great condition.

Let's face it owning a german car comes with a few headaches but the positives outway the negatives by a mile.
LOL, that sounded like I was reading my own story! Creaks galore like an old wooden boat, crappy brakes that groaned like a mofo...

The brakes, I had to really argue before they would cover them under warranty. Suspension creaking did get fixed, I think some bushings got replaced.

Door creaking never got fixed. The body flex never got fixed. I was told by the dealer it's normal, because they tested another XC70 on their lot, and it made the same noises!

Here were a few fun vids I made at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh8vCCmxMgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xqx5_WkVo
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJeT5JlI8do
Pay attention to the 26 second mark especially:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ6aKTlXV7k
Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

well, I have to admit that my friend who has had three generations of volvos, one got totaled in high speed front collision and they walked away. the claim it "saved their lives"

they have replaced the brakes with higher spec and usually do things like upgrade the suspension and sway bars.

these two aspects alone likely improve the driving experience.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Don't get me wrong regardless of the problems I wouldn't say I hated the Volvo. And they have somewhat of a cult following I know many 3rd and 4th time buyers. As for the safety the car did feel very safe but the ride was just not as planted compared to our E61 or B8 avant.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM
msc
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Premium, Cold, Nav, Comfort Seats

Well, I don't care what you all say. I still love my E61 even after replacing the air suspension compressor to the tune of $1200 this week.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by msc
Well, I don't care what you all say. I still love my E61 even after replacing the air suspension compressor to the tune of $1200 this week.
We are knocking Volvo's not the E61 !

We justify crap on our cars by virtue of the strong points!

Quick Reply: Need some advice-I'm about to buy an 06 530xi wagon