E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

My New 535d (2005) - What about retrofitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by ryanosborne' post='416828' date='Apr 23 2007, 05:11 PM
I have seen so much bad about the run-flats. Is there anyone who rates them? There must be some benefit of them surly?
Oh, absolutely. BMW mave made a very informative film where they compare a 1 series with low tyre pressure and no RFL and the same car with low pressure but RFL. Big difference. But, unfortunately the first series of RFL where difficult to love; harsh ride, the car keep "wandering" to and fro on the road, higher road noise, more expensive to buy...

With the introduction of the E92 they seem to have cracked it; both BMw and the tyre manufacturer. But it will take a while until many of us are convinced this is the future tyre. It probably is, but it just needs a little more development...
Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='417612' date='Apr 25 2007, 02:23 PM
Oh, absolutely. BMW mave made a very informative film where they compare a 1 series with low tyre pressure and no RFL and the same car with low pressure but RFL. Big difference. But, unfortunately the first series of RFL where difficult to love; harsh ride, the car keep "wandering" to and fro on the road, higher road noise, more expensive to buy...

With the introduction of the E92 they seem to have cracked it; both BMw and the tyre manufacturer. But it will take a while until many of us are convinced this is the future tyre. It probably is, but it just needs a little more development...
Sorry, but the issue with hard ride with RFT's is just a matter of time. It was the same when RFT was introduced, it's super when the tyres is new, but as the rubber hardens due to time the ride gets hard. I have heard several ones that have tested E9x series cars that have confirmed that the ride gets as hard as in a old E6x with RFT's.

If the sides is not as hard as it was designed in the beginning it would not be possible to drive on the supporting sides. So if the ride is soft the sides have to be softer and then you can't drive as long or fast with the RFT as stated in the beginning. And sorry, I have not seen any change in spec for the distance or speed data for RFT's...
Old 04-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Members

Thats one hell of a spec - enjoy it.

I have had mine remapped by DMS

Enjoy
Old 09-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by blingo' post='416774' date='Apr 23 2007, 05:46 AM
Visibility pack was just Xenons and the headlight turning function combined in a better price.

Media pack gave you Pro-Nav and pro tuner, CD changer and bluetooth phone - iirc.

I think auto headlights and auto wipers are standard rather than in the pack but you should get them too.

Don't agree with JP about the voice, I retro-fitted it and it is both an amusing toy and a good way to shortcut the i-drive menus. Great for Nav input and phone dialing particularly. For BMW to include it (just after my car was made ) says something.

Re-map is a good plan. Contact simon@e-maps.co.uk, really knows what he is doing.
Does Media pack definitely come with Pro Tuner?! Are you able to play MP3 Cds? i tried once.. didnt seem to work..
Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ryanosborne' post='416828' date='Apr 23 2007, 04:11 PM
I have seen so much bad about the run-flats. Is there anyone who rates them? There must be some benefit of them surly?

Also, good idea bout AUX and IPOD at the same time. Is it now possible to have CD changer and IPOD and AUX at the same time? I seen various posts but cant seem to come to a clean conclusion

What does BMW Assist actually provide? Is it worth subscribing too?
I like run flats as it means I get a little bit extra room in my boot as I don't need to carry a spare wheel, and that's about it.

If you go down the Dension Ice Link Gateway 500 and your CD changer supports MP3s you can keep all three but I think you have to turn off the Gateway 500 before trying to use the CD Changer. The early CD Changers don't support MP3 even once you get MP3 enabled for the CD player in the dash. The Gateway 500 also gives you an AUX in as well. Finally you can get an add on component that allows you to output video from Video iPods for about ?30, well worth it if you already have the TV option.

BMW Assist is BMWs break down cover, you should get at least 12 months with the car if buying it from BMW. Worth having if you don't have any other break down cover.

And I can second the E-Maps recommendation, just had mine done this Saturday.

Brian