E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Music from iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

I've had a good search but failed to bring anything up...

... therefore I hope someone can help me here or point me in the right direction! I have bluetooth, nav and the widescreen with voice controls (In a Nov 2005, 520D).

The "phone" function of my iPhone4 works perfectly with the car. I'm yet to purchase the new iPhone dock to sit in the armrest.

What i want is to be able to access my music off the phone. Will the newly released dock do this? Or do I need to retrofit something...and if so what?! Will playing music from the phone effect the "phone" function at all?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Stu
Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I'm not sure about playing tracks via bluetooth - would be great if it could, but I have a feeling it's not possible.

The other options are to get a lead hardwired into your AUX port of the stereo (you'd lose the CD changer functionality though) or to do what we've done and a FM transmitter.

The one we use is this:

Amazon Amazon

And it's pretty good, but not flawless.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by stulios
Hi All

I've had a good search but failed to bring anything up...

... therefore I hope someone can help me here or point me in the right direction! I have bluetooth, nav and the widescreen with voice controls (In a Nov 2005, 520D).

The "phone" function of my iPhone4 works perfectly with the car. I'm yet to purchase the new iPhone dock to sit in the armrest.

What i want is to be able to access my music off the phone. Will the newly released dock do this? Or do I need to retrofit something...and if so what?! Will playing music from the phone effect the "phone" function at all?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Stu
Depends what year your car is as to if you can use the cradle/music dock in the arm rest. If the car has 6nf smartphone interface fitted(will have to be built after 2008 to even have the possibility of this option) then you can get a cradle that will plug into the usb aux socket that will be fitted in the cubby hole under the phone holder. You can then control your ipod though idrive while the phone is connected. If you don't have 6nf then your options are either use the standard aux (or usb if fitted) input but you wont be able to have the phone in the cradle at the same time. Although it will still connect by bluetooth and can take calls at the same time.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Members

Alternatively you could also try the setup that I have, which works quite well for me, and also allows me to retain the CD changer:
- Dension Gateway 500 MOST, allowing you to play ipod, usb & aux
- combined with the Dension BTA1500 bluetooth module, enabling both bluetooth calls and bluetooth music streaming from my iphone

In this setup I disabled the OEM bluetooth module by unplugging it and looping the fibre-optic line.

good luck,
Liam