E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

mud flaps

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 Platinum Grey 2008 520d-Grey Dakota Leather/PDC/Xenon/Climate function/Arm Rest/Cruise Control/Skisack/Alarm/Roof Rails/Cup Holder/Automatic Transmission/Isofix/Sport Steering Wheel/Factory Tinted Rear Windows/Summer tires Michelin on 242's/Winter tires Nokian HKPL XL on 242's

Hi,
Anyone out there installed after market mudflaps? I notice that that back of my car is extremely dirty when driving in winter/sloppy conditions...I was wondering if mud flaps would help? Is there a BMW original mud flap that can be installed at the dealer? Or is it better to find some after market model? can they be installed by me or does it involve drilling holes etc... did a search on the forum, but could not really answer all my questions...so all help is appriciated.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520 iA E60 -04

Hello, yes, there are available original mud flaps, I bought front ones and they were very easy to install, just had to drill one or the holes through plastic cover behind the wheel.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=82&fg=44
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

In my opinion rear mudflaps won't help much as they're quite small unless you went with rally-style flaps. The dirt on the rear of the car is caused by the aerodynamics creating a turbulent low pressure area at the rear of the car that pulls up road spray, some of which is deposited on the car irself.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

I was going to have mud flaps installed on my M-Sport Touring this week, but I have now decided against it. I think that they are fine on a non-M-Sport and I have had them on all of my previous BMW cars (and they worked).

I guess that I will just go for a re-spray when the rock chips get bad. With winter driving here in Finland, that may not actually take too long!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 AM
zte
Members

My Ride: 530d M-tech -06

I have them on my M-Sport Touring. I don't like the look, I don't think they work cause the car gets dirty in no time. As soon as i get summer wheels on the mudflaps goes of.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by zte' post='765711' date='Jan 12 2009, 02:24 PM
I have them on my M-Sport Touring. I don't like the look, I don't think they work cause the car gets dirty in no time. As soon as i get summer wheels on the mudflaps goes of.
Do you have any pics of what the rear (from the side and back) looks like?

That is my main concern - especially after a day of driving like today. This wet, lauha weather down here is just crap.

But there is no point to wash the car...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

I know this is a personal taste however I would never put mudflaps on my E61. Yuch! So 80's. Just like having those rubber doorprotectors with reflectors between the front and the back doors or windscreen whipers with 3 upright little spoilers like on the old opel Manta's. Or maybe a nice foxtail on the antenna (oh no, there isn't an antenna anymore so perhaps then install a CB antenna first).

I'm sorry. Don't mean to offend anyone but really, mudflaps are 70's 80's because at that time car side +rear bumper bottom spoilers didn't exist (which are now standard).
As a result behind the wheels there was a lot of open space so all the rain had the opportunity to spray up (if this makes sense)
Anyway good luck with your choice.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:45 AM
zte
Members

My Ride: 530d M-tech -06

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='765735' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:12 AM
Do you have any pics of what the rear (from the side and back) looks like?

That is my main concern - especially after a day of driving like today. This wet, lauha weather down here is just crap.

But there is no point to wash the car...
I only have som pics from the ad when I bought the car. Maybe you recognize it? Bought it from Turku
As said before I don't like them! can't wait to get them of.

mud flaps-bmw3.jpg
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zte' post='765805' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:45 PM
I only have som pics from the ad when I bought the car. Maybe you recognize it? Bought it from Turku
As said before I don't like them! can't wait to get them of.

Attachment 69079
LOL! No, I don't recognize it, but it looks great with the M166 wheels!! That is a clean looking Touring, congrats.

And compared to the mud flaps that I had on my E39, those don't look too bad at all. And on a black car, even better. That wouldn't be the case on my silver E61...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='765785' date='Jan 12 2009, 05:58 PM
I know this is a personal taste however I would never put mudflaps on my E61. Yuch!
I hear you. My only reason for considering them was that they worked on my other BMW Tourings, and in the terrible winter driving conditions that I have to deal with, they needed to.

That said, I have never had a BMW with the M-Sport body before the E61. Now, I don't want to ruin the lines... so I won't!

Quick Reply: mud flaps