E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

M6 Wheels on E61 M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi Sports Wagon, Steptronic, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota, ZPP, CW, NAV, PDC, Rear Shades.

Originally Posted by jbeene' post='410875' date='Apr 6 2007, 11:12 AM
OK, that Carbon Black one looks good enough to make me want to do this to mine now that its almost time to put the gumballs back on.

The factory offset for my 530xiT if 43MM on 8 inch wide 135 M rims. Does anyone know if a 40mm 9.5 inch wide rim will fit? There is also a 38mm 9 inch wide rim available. Bolt pattern is correct and it seems BMW has standardized the hub/axle size (the old e39's had a different hole size so many rims wouldn't fit).

www.bekkers.com
I'm also hunting for wheels for my 530xiT. In digging through this forum, there is certainly a lack of information when it comes to wheel fitments for the 530xi. There are definitely more questions than answers.

I visited a wheel shop near my house last week; they have a large selection of replica and aftermarket BMW rims; they do ALOT of BMW installation (probably 10%-15% of their installs). The manager tells me that I can fit anywhere from a et38 to et45, with max size recommendation of 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear. He says that most M3 wheel applications with fit a 530xi model.

I'm still unsure about his recommendations. I can see a 19x9.5 working in the rear, but not at et38 because of fender clearance issue. However, I don't know without either trying to install it or getting the opinions of others here. Unfortunately there aren't very many active posters in the E61 section.

I've narrowed my choices down to M3 CSL wheels or Miro 346 (M6 replica) wheels, both of which are priced around $900USD per set from ModBargains.com:

http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...=Miro_Type_346
http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...=CSLhyperblack
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xiT M

Originally Posted by asawadude' post='410901' date='Apr 6 2007, 02:06 PM
I'm also hunting for wheels for my 530xiT. In digging through this forum, there is certainly a lack of information when it comes to wheel fitments for the 530xi. There are definitely more questions than answers.

I visited a wheel shop near my house last week; they have a large selection of replica and aftermarket BMW rims; they do ALOT of BMW installation (probably 10%-15% of their installs). The manager tells me that I can fit anywhere from a et38 to et45, with max size recommendation of 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear. He says that most M3 wheel applications with fit a 530xi model.

I'm still unsure about his recommendations. I can see a 19x9.5 working in the rear, but not at et38 because of fender clearance issue. However, I don't know without either trying to install it or getting the opinions of others here. Unfortunately there aren't very many active posters in the E61 section.

I've narrowed my choices down to M3 CSL wheels or Miro 346 (M6 replica) wheels, both of which are priced around $900USD per set from ModBargains.com:

Let me know how your fit works out. I had a similar problem when looking for rims for my snow tires and ended up with a set of M3 Replica wheels and then switched to type 138 factory rims (much more expensive!).

It too bad there aren't more oem fitments for the 530xiT.

Be sure to post a picture when you get your csl wheels on.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I recently removed the staggered 172s from my e61 after nearly 15k miles and discovered that there has been in fact the tiniest amount of contact with the rear plastic inner liner, evidenced by a slight scuff mark.

Replaced them with 20" Hartge Novas, 10" rears with 275/35 Toyo.
Offset is 22mm and again I suspect a tiny amount of contact with the inner liner. Going to try a 3mm spacer.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by blingo' post='414931' date='Apr 18 2007, 12:20 AM
I recently removed the staggered 172s from my e61 after nearly 15k miles and discovered that there has been in fact the tiniest amount of contact with the rear plastic inner liner, evidenced by a slight scuff mark.

Replaced them with 20" Hartge Novas, 10" rears with 275/35 Toyo.
Offset is 22mm and again I suspect a tiny amount of contact with the inner liner. Going to try a 3mm spacer.

Those rims look great on your ride

One questions though - is that not dangerous what you are doing? If your tyres are rubbing and in turn I assume wearing out on an area of the tyre which you cannot see or monitor easily, are you not lining yourself up for a guaranteed blow-out? I note you are considering spacers - I would definately get this checked to make sure there is no rubbing.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

The contact is on the inside against the plastic flexible liner. It is not dangerous or I wouldn't be doing it.

There is just a 'polished' area on the surface of the plastic showing marginal contact, nothing on the wheels or tyres.
Apparently Hartge say that you 'may' have to remove a small area of liner but I don't particularly want to do that.

It looks to me like 3mm (the smallest spacer I could find) will fix it nicely.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Members

Very nice car and the wheels are great.
Would love to have that setup.

Just wondering what size and offset you have in the front ?
Do you have any rubbing in the front when steering heavily on an bumpy road.
Or do you just avoid such nasty things ?

titanium
Old 04-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by blingo' post='415734' date='Apr 19 2007, 10:07 PM
The contact is on the inside against the plastic flexible liner. It is not dangerous or I wouldn't be doing it.

There is just a 'polished' area on the surface of the plastic showing marginal contact, nothing on the wheels or tyres.
Apparently Hartge say that you 'may' have to remove a small area of liner but I don't particularly want to do that.

It looks to me like 3mm (the smallest spacer I could find) will fix it nicely.
I had assumed you had not chosen a suicidal mod, but couldn't work out from your previous post why it wouldn't be dangerous! Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense now. If you are going for a spacer, in case you haven't already, check out some of the posts in the Parts & Accessories section about applying the right preparation grease (or whatever its called) so that you don't have as much trouble removing them.

I have to say it again, love that ride of yours - looks great!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by titanium' post='415754' date='Apr 19 2007, 09:54 PM
Very nice car and the wheels are great.
Would love to have that setup.

Just wondering what size and offset you have in the front ?
Do you have any rubbing in the front when steering heavily on an bumpy road.
Or do you just avoid such nasty things ?

titanium
Thanks.

9 x 20 with 18mm offset. Clears bodywork totally even on full lock.

I have used 245/35 tyres and there is a 4-5mm gap between the tyre and the spring mounting on the front strut which appears very small when you fit the wheel. The strut moves with the wheel though so the gap never gets less
Old 04-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='415974' date='Apr 20 2007, 01:03 PM
I had assumed you had not chosen a suicidal mod, but couldn't work out from your previous post why it wouldn't be dangerous! Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense now. If you are going for a spacer, in case you haven't already, check out some of the posts in the Parts & Accessories section about applying the right preparation grease (or whatever its called) so that you don't have as much trouble removing them.

I have to say it again, love that ride of yours - looks great!
Read the Hartge site again and it does say that a spacer (size not specified) will be required on the rear.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by asawadude' post='410901' date='Apr 6 2007, 01:06 PM

Check my posts about wheel fittings....but you're pretty much right on the money....

Quick Reply: M6 Wheels on E61 M Sport