E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

M5 Mirrors - Folding option

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 5 Series Touring (E61) 2005, 530d

I'm thinking about buying some M5 Replica mirrors (with folding option) but my car currently has manual folding ones. Is it possible to fit these on and somehow wire it up to the igniton (rather than adding a switch etc.)
These are the ones I'm looking at on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E60-E61-M-M5-STYLE-AUTO-POWER-FOLD-MIRROR-03-04-05_W0QQitemZ160414023600QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item25596bbfb0
Cheers
Old 04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

those arent E60 m5 replicas maybe E39 ones which look odd on an E60/E61.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 5 Series Touring (E61) 2005, 530d

thats why I hate eBay....

http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/show_...wanBlZw==.html
these are the correct ones right?
Anyway, back to my original question, can the folding be wired to the ignition easily?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The door modules controllers control the mirror functions, i.e. tell them what to do, and I know you can get them programmed to "auto-fold" the mirrors when you lock and unlock the car. So in theory, if your door module controllers can do this, then why not However, because your car does not have the auto fold function, maybe they put different (more basic) door modul controllers in your car? Not sure if there are any differences? (I am not an engineer/very technically minded, so can't help you any further here, sorry.)

If you want a set of immaculate second hand OEM M5 Mirrors, I am selling my PRE-9/2005 mirrors, because they do not fit on my 11/2005 car due to different connectors. I bought them new, only used them 4 months, then sold the car! I've just had to pay approx EUR 1000 for a new set PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx
The door modules controllers control the mirror functions, i.e. tell them what to do, and I know you can get them programmed to "auto-fold" the mirrors when you lock and unlock the car. So in theory, if your door module controllers can do this, then why not However, because your car does not have the auto fold function, maybe they put different (more basic) door modul controllers in your car? Not sure if there are any differences? (I am not an engineer/very technically minded, so can't help you any further here, sorry.)

If you want a set of immaculate second hand OEM M5 Mirrors, I am selling my PRE-9/2005 mirrors, because they do not fit on my 11/2005 car due to different connectors. I bought them new, only used them 4 months, then sold the car! I've just had to pay approx EUR 1000 for a new set PM me if you are interested.
How do you know if you have the door module controllers already? i have a 2005 545i. production date 3/2005
Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

All our cars have the door module controllers; its what the mirrors plug into within the door.
I think these modules also control the central locking, electric windows etc. Do not quote me on this though! I just know these modules control the mirrors, but I am not sure if they use different door modules depending on which options your car is delivered with from the factory.

(I will PM a couple of members who might be able to help out here -- I am clearly out of my depth! )
Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

All our cars have the door module controllers; its what the mirrors plug into within the door.
I think these modules also control the central locking, electric windows etc. Do not quote me on this though! I just know these modules control the mirrors, but I am not sure if they use different door modules depending on which options your car is delivered with from the factory.

(I will PM a couple of members who might be able to help out here -- I am clearly out of my depth! )

ok so its basically a matter of getting the right mirrors with the connectors and going to the dealer for programming.
anyone knows where to get these specific mirrors?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 2exclusive
ok so its basically a matter of getting the right mirrors with the connectors and going to the dealer for programming.
anyone knows where to get these specific mirrors?

I just did a quick search...

BenAnd, one of our technical masterminds here, posted up details on this:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/862...1#entry1017558
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

I just did a quick search...

BenAnd, one of our technical masterminds here, posted up details on this:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/862...1#entry1017558

got some good info from that thread, but still need to find the autofold M5 mirrors.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2exclusive
got some good info from that thread, but still need to find the autofold M5 mirrors.
ok so i found the mirrors that fit my car with the auto folding option... but dddaaaaammmmmm!!!!! thats a lot of dough. there has to be someone cheaper?? anybody? see link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=180260075208

Quick Reply: M5 Mirrors - Folding option