E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

M Sports Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

I would appreciate to have some perspective on the E61 with M Sports Suspension compared to the standard set-up.

I've driven two E60s - one with M Sports Suspension (18" wheels / 245/40 R18 RFT) and one with the standard set up (17" wheels / 225/50 R 17 RFT). The difference was not as big as I expected. The M Sports Suspension was noticeably firmer than the standard set-up but to my judgement not harsh. It delivered what still could be called a sufficiently comfortable ride whilst giving a much crisper road holding.

The E61 with standard set-up I've tested was to my surprise signficantly less comfortable compared to the E60 with the same set-up. The ride was much more bumpy and much less comfortable compared to the saloon.

I'm wondering whether the M Sports Suspension changes the ride of the E61 in the same way it does in the E60 and would appreciate to know your overall experience with the M Sports Suspension.

Thanks for your perspective on this.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Members

I have an E61 with M Sports pack and yes the ride is firm but i would say not uncomfortably so. I guess it really depends what you are used to and your own preferences.

I changed from a Volvo S60 with Sports suspension and would say that the ride quality is about the same but wu=ith a "more controlled" bounce on the BMW. I also drive a VX220 at weekends so harsh suspension is something i don't mind
Old 01-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Another view from Suffolk !

The sports set up is more desirable to purchasers come trade-in time - the rule of thumb is that it was worth ?750 over SE models (at 3 / 4 yrs) and sells quicker.

Handling is definitely improved over std set up; if you find it too harsh or jarring, swap off the runflats for normal tyres.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='224618' date='Jan 15 2006, 01:02 PM

I would appreciate to have some perspective on the E61 with M Sports Suspension compared to the standard set-up.

I've driven two E60s - one with M Sports Suspension (18" wheels / 245/40 R18 RFT) and one with the standard set up (17" wheels / 225/50 R 17 RFT). The difference was not as big as I expected. The M Sports Suspension was noticeably firmer than the standard set-up but to my judgement not harsh. It delivered what still could be called a sufficiently comfortable ride whilst giving a much crisper road holding.

The E61 with standard set-up I've tested was to my surprise significantly less comfortable compared to the E60 with the same set-up. The ride was much more bumpy and much less comfortable compared to the saloon.

I'm wondering whether the M Sports Suspension changes the ride of the E61 in the same way it does in the E60 and would appreciate to know your overall experience with the M Sports Suspension.

Thanks for your perspective on this.
I used to have an E60 with standard set-up and the ride was not that comfortable specially for those that were sitting on back seat as the car was too wavy in narrow or fast corners. Now I got the E61 with M sport suspension and the difference confortwise is not that big, but the car is much more stable and firm on fast or narrow corners. If have to change I would go for M-sport set-up again.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

[/quote]
I used to have an E60 with standard set-up and the ride was not that comfortable specially for those that were sitting on back seat as the car was too wavy in narrow or fast corners. Now I got the E61 with M sport suspension and the difference confortwise is not that big, but the car is much more stable and firm on fast or narrow corners. If have to change I would go for M-sport set-up again.
[/quote]

My parents, who own an E-Class Avantgarde, which to me seems to offer a fairly mushy, 'comfort rather than handling' ride, both continuously remark how comfortable the ride is in the rear/passenger seats of our E61 Sport. Admittedly that is with non-RFs, but I think a key factor is that with the Sports setup the car remains very stable/flat around corners, which makes it feel smoother/more comfortable for passengers.

Just to reiterate (again - yawn!), the issue with the RFs is not just the comfort factor (though make no mistake they ride very, very hard on 18'' rims/Sport suspension on UK roads), but the fact that they feel so damned twitchy - the car just does not feel properly planted on the road. However, I remain hopeful that when it comes to changing tyres next time around, better RFs will be available that manage to combine the welcome safety benefits with decent comfort/handling characteristics. Has anyone noticed them getting better, btw?

Btw, for RF fans, I still have a full set of factory 18" Goodyear NCT5s (changed at just 1K miles) sitting around, soon to go on eBay...
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='224734' date='Jan 15 2006, 10:43 PM
Another view from Suffolk !

The sports set up is more desirable to purchasers come trade-in time - the rule of thumb is that it was worth ?750 over SE models (at 3 / 4 yrs) and sells quicker.

Handling is definitely improved over std set up; if you find it too harsh or jarring, swap off the runflats for normal tyres.
Good to see another "local" on here

I notice that you compete in the Milltek BMW challenge series. I've been looking into this - a few friends in the VX220 club have recently entered. May see you at one of the meets
Old 01-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by PaulCP' post='225105' date='Jan 16 2006, 08:35 PM
Good to see another "local" on here

I notice that you compete in the Milltek BMW challenge series. I've been looking into this - a few friends in the VX220 club have recently entered. May see you at one of the meets
Apologies "The Hollies" for going OT.

PaulCP, I'm teaming up with Thorney this year (I guess you know him) so we can pool our ineptitude rather than try & take each other off. Pity we haven't got Andrew Partridge in the team !!!!!!!

If you're seriously looking into it, there are a couple of good cars for sale at the moment - a decent 320 and a well sorted 318. It's huge fun. You're more than welcome to have a nose round my car to assess the 'real' costs if you like. I'm just outside BSE.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

Hi,

I own a E61 with M-Package, Model 2006 - so with M-Sport Suspension (before that only the standard sport suspension was installed).

The ride is sporty. A rest of comfort is still there, but with 18" RFT you'll definetely feel the road (especially if it's bad). I personally like that

But if you look for a comfortable ride you may think about it. Before the buy we testdrove an E60 with M-Package (and M-Sport suspension). The E61 is a little more harsh, but not very much).

regs
Volkmar
Old 01-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Members

[/quote]

Apologies "The Hollies" for going OT.

PaulCP, I'm teaming up with Thorney this year (I guess you know him) so we can pool our ineptitude rather than try & take each other off. Pity we haven't got Andrew Partridge in the team !!!!!!!

If you're seriously looking into it, there are a couple of good cars for sale at the moment - a decent 320 and a well sorted 318. It's huge fun. You're more than welcome to have a nose round my car to assess the 'real' costs if you like. I'm just outside BSE.
[/quote]

Yep know them well, Foxy as well.

I'm in Ipswich area so may just do that but not for a few weeks