E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

lowering an E61 with Dynamic Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Audi Q7 S-Line full full full

Is there any problem of lowering an E61 with Dynamic Drive? Does it require any programming?
Anyone knows if cars with dynamic drive are standard equipped with sport suspension springs? I want to know because of ordering the right height of the front springs.

I?ve heard that the rear lowering need programming, but I?ve just read that the ?self levelling system will compensate automatically to be level with the front of the car. No computer update is needed?. Is that right?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Suld be like that! But I would have a talk with your serviceman how the leveling with DD works to be shure.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by M530DT' post='292451' date='Jun 4 2006, 05:18 PM
Is there any problem of lowering an E61 with Dynamic Drive? Does it require any programming?
Anyone knows if cars with dynamic drive are standard equipped with sport suspension springs? I want to know because of ordering the right height of the front springs.

I?ve heard that the rear lowering need programming, but I?ve just read that the ?self levelling system will compensate automatically to be level with the front of the car. No computer update is needed?. Is that right?
I have the standard suspension and also DD. Since I wanted to get a firmer suspension I went to the Official BMW distributor to change it (to a Sport type one)

They confirmed to me that the rear one is hydraulic operated and it works the way you have mentioned.

But they do not know what to do and the computer system does not recommend any combination.

Then I went to Bilstein and Eibach distributors in Spain. Neither them can giveto me a solution.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='307528' date='Jul 6 2006, 06:12 PM
I have the standard suspension and also DD. Since I wanted to get a firmer suspension I went to the Official BMW distributor to change it (to a Sport type one)

They confirmed to me that the rear one is hydraulic operated and it works the way you have mentioned.

But they do not know what to do and the computer system does not recommend any combination.

Then I went to Bilstein and Eibach distributors in Spain. Neither them can giveto me a solution.
I finally got the 30mm lower front spring from Eibach installed today, but the rear end didn't "self compensate automatically to be level with the front of the car" it is the same height as before. I think I have to take it in for a computer adjustment!

inmediate: It's the same spring on DD-cars as on Non-DD! BMW distributor can in the ETK-program put in your VIN and get all your optional equipment and calculate the right spring for your car either M-sport or just sport.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

Hi,
should be correct. The rear suspension has no idea of the front suspension height, it only measures the height levels of the rear axle. Strange that BMW shop does not know that..

/M

Originally Posted by M530DT' post='324151' date='Aug 18 2006, 09:24 PM
I finally got the 30mm lower front spring from Eibach installed today, but the rear end didn't "self compensate automatically to be level with the front of the car" it is the same height as before. I think I have to take it in for a computer adjustment!

inmediate: It's the same spring on DD-cars as on Non-DD! BMW distributor can in the ETK-program put in your VIN and get all your optional equipment and calculate the right spring for your car either M-sport or just sport.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

There are small potentiometers in each end of the car that senses the height, even in the front. There are a small linkage connected from the wheel hub to this sensor and when it was not compensating automatically, then you just have to re position the linkage of the sensors. Like give the sensors and new "home" position.

I'm almost shure that my car have sensors in all corners, but it might be that the front ones is only used for the light height.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

Are you sure that these are auto-level sensors and not something else? Like brake pad sensors or such? On the e39, the xenon level sensors were also positioned on the rear axle.

/M

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='324329' date='Aug 19 2006, 08:18 AM
There are small potentiometers in each end of the car that senses the height, even in the front. There are a small linkage connected from the wheel hub to this sensor and when it was not compensating automatically, then you just have to re position the linkage of the sensors. Like give the sensors and new "home" position.

I'm almost shure that my car have sensors in all corners, but it might be that the front ones is only used for the light height.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Members

I know that they sense the height of the rear, but they may also be sensors for the lights. Anyway, there are sensors in the front as well for the lights, othervise it will not know if the car are level or not. There must also be sensors in the rear so it can detect how much the suspension is compressed.

Breakpad sensors are a hump inserted next to the pad. ABS sensors are in the hubs so they can only be seen as a cable going in. This level sensors are arranged like a linkage.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525dA E61 2004-09

M530DT; For next year I know that BMW will offer a suspension (lowering kit) for the touring as well - in relation to the airsuspension for the rear suspension.

What kind of tuningbox are you using? It is working out alright? I am using a power-box from www.Mehrleistung.com which works perfectly.

Have you measuren the power prior and after the installation of the tuningbox?

Regards marineutter!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by marineutter' post='324685' date='Aug 20 2006, 09:26 PM
M530DT; For next year I know that BMW will offer a suspension (lowering kit) for the touring as well - in relation to the airsuspension for the rear suspension.

What kind of tuningbox are you using? It is working out alright? I am using a power-box from www.Mehrleistung.com which works perfectly.

Have you measuren the power prior and after the installation of the tuningbox?

Regards marineutter!
Hello Marineutter.

As you maybe have read in Swedish Autopower-forum with my nickname "Jannesky" that I have tried 2 boxes from Mehrleistung, with pretty bad results! I thing I going to buy a second ecu on ebay, and send it to someone for remapping, maybe "www.Itsfun.nu"!