E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Lowering advice - unstable SE at high speeds :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

Yeah that's what i was thinking, they came from a 535i and realoem shows as E60 Saloon only, including the 535D - To be fair though the fella wants £80 for the two fronts shocks and springs - think i'd rather pay £100 for the new springs and look to upgrade my shocks seeing as its only two to buy for - If they came off an 04 plate then they could well be knackered.

What's your thoughts?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

To me springs off 535i (6 pot) will not fit weight-wise a 535d. The Eibach springs for the 535d/530d/535d fit the V8 gasoline engines.

Shocks from an 04 car are a no-go to me, although to be fair I haven't heard of many failed shocks on an E60. But given the labour needed to replace them if they fail..

You need two front springs as the touring has air bags in the rear, but it still has 4 shocks, one on each corner, so when you change shocks, ideally that should include all of them.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Brilliant, i reckon that sums it up nicely, thanks MM

I've got this ARB on its way - i'll just keep tabs on the bay incase any M sport stuff comes up, younger the better - I'm not wanting track perfection, just a resonably priced solution to my 'gash' handling
Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

caveat!! turns out the shocls are off a 545i
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
I'm not wanting track perfection, just a resonably priced solution to my 'gash' handling
Same here, there's more that can be done, e.g. front strut bar and even UR lower bars. Watch this space!

caveat!! turns out the shocls are off a 545i
That sounds more like it! The 535i was actually never sold in the UK afaik, I initially thought the parts may have been from a US car..
Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Close.... Wakefield

The kid has front and back for an E60 on ebay at the minute... as said, he would split but i'm not paying £80 for two shocks that may not fit and two springs i can buy for £100 brand new....

I've also had some clown breaking an E61 offer me the rear ARB and couple other bits, wants a fortune though, so i'll wait... plenty comes up with these and i reckon it doesnt go as fast given the E61 being a tad rarer

Oh in other news, had the compressor off and opened up what i could to clean, so far so good - we'll have to see though
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

I've also had some clown breaking an E61 offer me the rear ARB and couple other bits, wants a fortune though, so i'll wait... plenty comes up with these and i reckon it doesnt go as fast given the E61 being a tad rarer
ARBs are identical (i.e. interchangeable) between Sedan and Touring, and between LHD and RHD cars (I'm excluding M5, not quite sure there).
The only thing you need to care about is the respective thickness
Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

ahh I had thought the rear would be different on the touring... cheers for that
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Right chaps, questions questions questions

lowering the rear via INPA, does the car have to be perfectly level before i adjust the values? or does it have a central recorded value for both sides?

also it asks for the Millimetre difference in the 'values part' when lowering, i'm guessing i'd be using a minus figure?

Many thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Members

My Ride: E91 sport + touring

The E61 I had prior to my current one I fitted Wietec (one of KW's brands) and the adjustable rear links and this set up worked great.My current one I decided to do the same with but,bought the kit and it's lay in my garage for the past year without being fitted to the car(far to busy with work).

Since the E61 is due to depart tomorrow and being replaced with an E91 the kit is surplus to requirements and I will sell it on.

It is for 6 pot engines as you can see from the label on the box pictured.If it's of use to yourself then drop me a pm and I'll give you any other details required mate.

The spring kit and the adjustable links cost me around £160 but,I'll take around £50 + p&p????located in Glasgow and I've no problem sending it by courier to you in Yorkshire.

Quick Reply: Lowering advice - unstable SE at high speeds :(