E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d Touring - Metalic Black with cream leather interior

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, and have a question to see if anybody has experianced this problem. I have a 520d touring - 2006 model, and it has recently developed a problem with power. It seems that I have lost all the torque/ power from the engine. When I put my foot down there is no "go" from the engine. No different noises, nothing coming up on the iDrive check, and occasionally, but intermittently the engine behaves normally and delivers full power.

I have heard mentioned from a small local garage that this could be due to the aircon needing re-gassing, but find this quite strange! Am booked in for a diagnostic check with the dealer in a couple of weeks, as I am out of the country til then, but was interseted in hearing from anyone that may have had a similar problem, to guage how mch the bill might be!

Regards,

J
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

If all the torque/power is gone, the turbo is the problem.

If I had a similar problem, my car would be at the dealers and fixed at once.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Members

Update on the loss of power. Called BMW Customer Service in the UK, and they sent a recovery vehicle to get my car, and sorted me out with a replacement car in the mean time. They checked it out at my local dealer and the turbo had gone. They could not have been more helpful, and have replaced the turbo (under warranty).

Not only do you get a great car when you buy a BMW, but you also get the full works when it comes to customer service.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Members

Dear J,

There was an ECU recall a couple of years ago; the faulty unit caused my 3.0 diesel to refuse to rev beyond 3,500rpm, with disasterous results for acceleration. It may be worth checking that out.
Regards,
Mike

Originally Posted by jpriestm' post='735537' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:19 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, and have a question to see if anybody has experianced this problem. I have a 520d touring - 2006 model, and it has recently developed a problem with power. It seems that I have lost all the torque/ power from the engine. When I put my foot down there is no "go" from the engine. No different noises, nothing coming up on the iDrive check, and occasionally, but intermittently the engine behaves normally and delivers full power.

I have heard mentioned from a small local garage that this could be due to the aircon needing re-gassing, but find this quite strange! Am booked in for a diagnostic check with the dealer in a couple of weeks, as I am out of the country til then, but was interseted in hearing from anyone that may have had a similar problem, to guage how mch the bill might be!

Regards,

J
Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mike.Allen' post='765842' date='Jan 12 2009, 06:51 PM
Dear J,

There was an ECU recall a couple of years ago; the faulty unit caused my 3.0 diesel to refuse to rev beyond 3,500rpm, with disasterous results for acceleration. It may be worth checking that out.
Regards,
Mike

Thanks for this Mike.Allen. Since having the turbo replaced, the car has been running fine, but on first start in the mornings, maybe 'cos of the cold, there is no power from the start, until the engine has warmed up little. I need to start the car and leave it running for about 10 mintues otherwise it really struggles. I will get the ECU recall checked out.

Sorry to hear abour your experiences with your Beemer, usually such a reliable marque, with little problems. I guess you occasionally get the rotten apple in every batch...... must have been a real "made on Friday" car.

Regards,
J