E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Looking at a 530xi touring..questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we found a 2006 530xi touring with 66k miles that we are pretty interested in (replacing 2001 325i. Just want to know a few things as well as future maintenance.

I assume that at around 90-100k it would need things like a cooling system overhaul,vgc, ccv, oil filter housing gasket, etc. Would you recommend changing the ATF and filter at the mileage it is right now? Any other common issues to look for?

I also read about the air suspension pump and surrounding hoses failures. I did ask the dealer about it but they told me to check in with BMW with the Vin #.

The car would be used to travel to NY even in the winter. The car does have the sport package making it lower than normal and it does get rough in the winter with thick (sometimes over a foot) snow and ice. There are some hills/mountainous it would need to go through. Would it be fine?
I was thinking of getting some smaller rims with thick snow tires to make it ride a little higher.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Members

So we found a 2006 530xi touring with 66k miles...

I assume that at around 90-100k it would need things like a cooling system overhaul,vgc, ccv, oil filter housing gasket, etc. Would you recommend changing the ATF and filter at the mileage it is right now? Any other common issues to look for?
I recently bought a 2006 530xi wagon (details below). Mine had only 40K miles on it, but it was built in 9/05, making it six years old. I'm not a big fan of "lifetime" fluids, so I've recently changed coolant (took whatever out, replaced it with BMW coolant), engine oil and filter, and front differential gear oil. Next up are transmission fluid (mine's a manual), rear differential gear oil, and brake fluid.

I'm also going to change the transfer case fluid, which is special stuff, and this maintenance requires a vehicle computer reset. I'll use the Bavarian Technic tool for that. I'll also do the power steering fluid at some point.

The engine air filter and the cabin air filters were recently changed, probably by the dealer. All gaskets on my car's N52B30 engine look good at the moment.

I gather the cooling system expansion tank and cap are "weak spots", so it might be a good idea to look 'em over. Mine appear to be fine, but I will soon order a replacement cap to keep in my bag of tricks.

I also read about the air suspension pump and surrounding hoses failures. I did ask the dealer about it but they told me to check in with BMW with the Vin #.
There's a good forum thread going on this issue. I'm going to check this the next time my car is up on a lift at my son's shop.

The car would be used to travel to NY even in the winter. The car does have the sport package making it lower than normal and it does get rough in the winter with thick (sometimes over a foot) snow and ice. There are some hills/mountainous it would need to go through. Would it be fine?

I was thinking of getting some smaller rims with thick snow tires to make it ride a little higher.
The sport package on the 530xi includes different power seats and shadow exterior trim. I'm not familiar with any changes to the suspension or ride height.

245/40R18 tires on 18" wheels are an option to the optional sport package. However, their essentially the same size (diameter) as the stock 225/50R17 tires and wheels.

Stock 2006 530i wheels have a 20mm offset (ET20). But, the 530xi wheels have a 43mm offset (ET43). So, good luck finding any smaller wheels (16" steel?) for winter tires. I'm investigating 16" steel wheels for the Honda Odyssey, but it's not a priority.

So, in order to find wheels with the correct offset, you may be limited to 17" alloys for now. As far as winter tires go, 225/50R17 is the OEM size, but I'm thinking that 215/55R17's might be a suitable alternative.

Note that the 2006 530xi wagon is equipped with a flat tire monitor (FTM; accessible via iDrive) that uses tire revs/mile to monitor for flats (low pressure = smaller tire = more revs per mile). AFAIK, this MY car is not equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), so your winter tire and wheel set will not require TPMS sensors.

Suggestions:
1) Download the owner's guide from BMW USA's website
2) Download the 2006 530xi Sports Wagon sales brochure (need to find a link)
3) Buy a copy of the Bentley service manual for the E60/E61 vehicles.
4) Check under both sides of the car for the jack pads, as it seems that they are prone to falling out. Replacements are ~$12 each, and it may be tough to use the car jack without 'em.
5) Check the car for the cargo cover / pet net. It can be difficult and/or expensive to replace.
6) These look like good sites for parts and info: Bavarian Autosport and ECS Tuning (not affiliated with either).
HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Members

Thanks for the info man. We already have 2 bimmers and I got a e39 so pretty familiar with the basics.

So how would it handle in the snow and going up hills with pot holes/ice/thick snow?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Members

I don't yet have any first-hand snow experience with our E61. But, this video looks interesting!

Enjoy!
Jim / crewzer
Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Members

saw that. the car would be used to do alot of traveling but reliability and gremlins are worries. At what mileage do the sunroof and air susp. problems normally happen?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Members

I'm still reading up on the sunroof drain and RAS issues. My sunroof looks like it's OK, and I'll probably do an occasional "test" to make sure the drain hoses are not clogged. My older son recently checked the drains on his 1991 E34's sunroof, and they were all running freely.

I plan to have my E61 up on my son's lift on Nov 12... checking the RAS compressor and hoses is on that day's "to do" list. At six years old (9/05 build date) and 41K miles, my car's RAS seems to be functioning nominally.

Another item to check is the vacuum hose for the exhaust back pressure valve located near the end of the exhaust pipe. Mine has a slight wear mark in it, so I'll add an extra sleeve around it.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Old 10-26-2011, 03:40 AM
Members

Ok well after reading about the sunroof drainage it is kind of scaring me. If water does get into the fuse box your pretty much screwed.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Members

Been reading alot of threads about the drainage problem. There is one that is at lease 11 pages long.

One person said water is still able to seep in even with the sunroof closed?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Members

My wife has our E61 out in the rain today... I'll take a look at the sunroof and drains after she gets home.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Members

All four sunroof drains on our six-year-old E61 are clear and free-flowing per my semi-official "turkey baster test".

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Quick Reply: Looking at a 530xi touring..questions