E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Level warning symbo & third oil service costs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to you all. I have not owned my 525d SE E61 for too long but i love it. I am new to the forum, so please be gentle with me if this thread has been posted before.
Has anyone had a problem with the rear air suspension warning light coming on now and again when parker or driving? If so what was the problem, an how was it rectified? I have checked the ride height of the car and all sems fine when the warning symbol appears on the dashboard. The car is a june 05.
Is there anyone in the forum had a third oil service? I went to both my local dealerships and they both quoted me around ?550 & ?600 for oil, air,brake fluid and fuel filter change. Do these prices seem correct to other peoples experience? Now its out of warranty i am going to try a place in Warrington called David Paul. He's going to do the lot for ?252 and stamp the book with an unofficial stamp. Anyone had there car to these guys in warington? They have been there for over 10 years. Thanks for reading
Old 09-11-2008, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I had the air pump replaced on my E61 and it solved the intermittent warning in the instrument cluster. tThe pump had a small leak and could not maintain pressure, particularly once it started getting colder in the fall.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bigun' post='666811' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:16 AM
Hi to you all. I have not owned my 525d SE E61 for too long but i love it. I am new to the forum, so please be gentle with me if this thread has been posted before.
Has anyone had a problem with the rear air suspension warning light coming on now and again when parker or driving? If so what was the problem, an how was it rectified? I have checked the ride height of the car and all sems fine when the warning symbol appears on the dashboard. The car is a june 05.
Is there anyone in the forum had a third oil service? I went to both my local dealerships and they both quoted me around ?550 & ?600 for oil, air,brake fluid and fuel filter change. Do these prices seem correct to other peoples experience? Now its out of warranty i am going to try a place in Warrington called David Paul. He's going to do the lot for ?252 and stamp the book with an unofficial stamp. Anyone had there car to these guys in warington? They have been there for over 10 years. Thanks for reading
Thanks for that, i have noticed on other threads that it seems to be a common problem. Anyone got the price of a new pump to hand? The guy at the independant BMW garage looked at the car and said the ride height was fine and only replace the pump if the warning light came on during every journey. Knowing BMW, they probably had the pump manufactured incorrectly or they have a design fault. Had a few BMW's like yourself buy i have owned 4 Audis on the trot following the plethra of design faults found on my brand new 318ci back in 2000. This is the only second hand car i have bought in a long time. The way your car sheds cash here in the UK on a daily bases means buying new as a private owner,especialy on a car like this an idotic prospect.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bigun' post='667680' date='Sep 12 2008, 04:01 AM
Thanks for that, i have noticed on other threads that it seems to be a common problem. Anyone got the price of a new pump to hand? The guy at the independant BMW garage looked at the car and said the ride height was fine and only replace the pump if the warning light came on during every journey. Knowing BMW, they probably had the pump manufactured incorrectly or they have a design fault. Had a few BMW's like yourself buy i have owned 4 Audis on the trot following the plethra of design faults found on my brand new 318ci back in 2000. This is the only second hand car i have bought in a long time. The way your car sheds cash here in the UK on a daily bases means buying new as a private owner,especialy on a car like this an idotic prospect.
There is a TSB for the self-leveling suspension.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Re warning indicator, really depends how often it comes on. Mine did so about once every 3-4 months - mostly immediately after start-up and more likely when very cold.
In every case a quick ignition off / on cleared it so never bothered to follow up - as unlikely that the fault would recur when at the dealer, and no change in incidence over 2-3 years.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='668691' date='Sep 13 2008, 09:37 PM
Re warning indicator, really depends how often it comes on. Mine did so about once every 3-4 months - mostly immediately after start-up and more likely when very cold.
In every case a quick ignition off / on cleared it so never bothered to follow up - as unlikely that the fault would recur when at the dealer, and no change in incidence over 2-3 years.
When i had the car serviced on Friday, i asked the lads to checked the fault codes logged in the computer. Turns out that the car has set time parameters for raising and if it exceeds this, then bingo your warning light comes on. Mine occurs about once a week and the lads servicing the car said forget about it. When or if the pump packs up then its time to replace. The pump is very expensive they tell me. They serviced my car, third oil service for ?230 and replaced the brake fluid. No problems with these guys in Warrington, i can recommend them.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='666902' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:30 AM
I had the air pump replaced on my E61 and it solved the intermittent warning in the instrument cluster. the pump had a small leak and could not maintain pressure, particularly once it started getting colder in the fall.
+1 under warranty
Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by xiTouring' post='670980' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:29 AM
+1 under warranty
Same here...
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Members

Hi all,
I have got the car at the dealership this afternoon. A quick update on prices for the repair of the rear suspension for people just out of warranty, like me self.
New pump ?557+vat (1 hour to install at ?120) BMW sell 60 a month in the UK
New air springs ?210 each, maybe 2 required BMW sell 15 a month in the UK
New control unit ? 250 No quote for sales per month.
Sensors not priced up.
The new pump price, plus investigation work will cost ?120+?120+?650 total ?890
Hope this helps the E61 owners.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Members

Does anyone know how long the fault codes stay in the system, as if this is an intermitant fault - how long have you got to get to the dealer for them to read the computer?

Just wondering, in case this ever happens to me.....

Quick Reply: Level warning symbo & third oil service costs.