E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

left sunroof open and now the tailgate is haunted

Old 02-27-2016, 06:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530xiT wagon
Default left sunroof open and now the tailgate is haunted

Oey guys okay so 2007 530xi touring so like a gigantic dumbass i left my sunroof open and it rained like the rains that noah built the arc for. So I dry it out and my tailgate is acting weird, an is the only thing affected. So here is what its doing, EVERYTIME i come to a complete stop the tailgate pops open (its an auto tailgate) but doesnt open all the way just pops so its not latched, lights come on and tailgate warning, Also anytime i lock the car and then unlock it, the tail gate opens with the unlock button.
The glass button doesnt work now.
The outside hatch button does nothing unless the hatch has all ready been popped and then it acts as normal.
Inside tailgate button also does not work now.
The tailgate key fob button works sometimes.
this was 3 days ago i have bought dry-rite silica packs and put in the car and i even have a dehumidifier plugged in the back of my car running for 24 hours to try and get the rest of the moisture out.
So my question is will this eventually dry out and right itself?
or is the diversity antenna bad?
or is there a central locking module in the car that could be water logged or bad.

so for the mean time i have the tailgate power fuse pulled when i am driving to prevent the trunk from popping open at every stop sign and red light. #27 i think up front.

i also have unhooked the battery and let it sit for a while and hooked it back up in hopes a reset would fix it. Any advice or help is appreciated.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:13 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

have you looked in the battery compartment and spare tire well for water? sounds like symptoms of drowned components in the spare tire well. all-too-common problem in E61s
Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530xiT wagon

yeah just a few drops of water but i took all of them out and made suer they were dried out. It seems that it is being controlled by the central locking unit or the car access system module i am hoping that it will dry its self out. I thought aybe the tailgate control module under the tire but i unhooked it and still opens the latch when the doors are unlocked and it seems like it unlatches only with the fob and not the interior door look so maybe its the kcan module.