E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Leaving the E61 world

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

So, now it'sa time for me to leave the world of E61. I had a plan to go for a F11 535d but I realized that it was to be the third BMW station wagon in a row. So I have just signed for a X5 40d!

It have been a great 8 years with first a 535i and then the 535d. I have just replaced the compressor for the levelsupension and I will replace the angel sensor for the AS and a steering rod end. Besides that have it been a quite trouble free time with more than 150 000km of great driving.

Maybe I'll be back in the 5-tourer world when the kids grow up, we'll see!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

when I saw this post and the topic, I thought another dissatisfied BMW owner getting rid of his BMW because of a) non-stop mechanical problems, b) no dispstick, or c) idrive, and going to Audi. What a pleasant surprise this post was. Nice to know you're happy and staying with BMWs.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Have fun with the X5, bet that you'll going to miss being low & close to the road though..
Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Members

Good luck with the new car. Out of curiosity how did the active steering fault manifest itself - I have AS just wondering how it could go wrong.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Members

Dont be a stranger I'd love to know your thoughts on the X5 compared to the 5
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Thanks guys!

I looked at both, Audi, Porsche and VW before I decided to go for the X5. (MB was not even on my map!) I like the car and the feeling of BMW. It have also been quite a easy ride, the things that have been broke have been easy to fix compared with the Saab's I had before and we should not mention the Peugeot my wife had... So after all it was a quite easy decision to go for a new BMW.

The indication and detection system for the AS is what have broke down. I have been told that there are a prism and a angle sensor under the steeringwheel that is not reading properly. It all started with indication in the iDrive that AS is inactive and neen to initzialised and so on. Nothing dramatic happens and the system turns steering to normal Servotronic mode.

The X5 will be picked up by the mid or end of Feb. I'll give you a report from up there!