E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Koni FSD's

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

Decided I will freshen up the suspension on my E61. Has std sport spec suspension but it has 100k on it now and I think new dampers will tighten up the handling as I feel the rear doesn't settle quickly enough on bad rroads and can be a bit crashy at times.

I've ordered a set of Koni FSD dampers for it and hope to get them on next week. I'll report back on any findings but wondered if anyone else has tried them?

I was also considering the sport adjustable koni's but decided for my kind of roads a more comfortable ride is important and these FSD are meant to do both comfort and also stiffen where required. Read the science behind them and it sounds very clever.

Suppose if my dampers are a bit past it then it should be a very noticeable improvement.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Please post with your experiences once you've fitted them.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

There are a few members here with FSD's. I have the Yellow sports and DD them for about 2 years now
Old 10-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by phelix' post='1027861' date='Oct 8 2009, 09:52 PM
Please post with your experiences once you've fitted them.
Yeah, I am also interested to hear how much (if any) they lower your E61.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

I am also very interested to hear your experience with the new shocks, in particular the improvement in ride quality over the worn-off OEM ones.

My car has 90k miles on it and I am planning to do the same replacement in the coming spring.

Do the FSD ones apply both to the M-Sport suspension and the "normal" Sport one (which I have)?

Some time ago I exchanged a few PMs with member Howitzer (E60) who has installed the KONI shocks and he was very happy with them - however we did not discuss ride quality back then so you might want to drop him a PM to find out more..
Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

I am getting mine fitted next week so i will let you guys know how it feels

Had a ride on member etchu's 530i with koni FSD, and its very close to the non sport OEM setting,
didnt drive it hard round the corners so dont know how they cope with the corners tho.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='1028397' date='Oct 9 2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I am also interested to hear how much (if any) they lower your E61.
It's just the dampers I am replacing so keeping the OEM sport springs so the ride height should not change unless the spring platform is different.

they are designed to work with OEM springs or up to 35mm lowered springs.

The listing says they are suited to the Sport suspension models and those with rear air suspension. The kit has different part numbers to the e60 though so is specific to the E61
Old 10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

guys, see below Rob Hall's report on FSDs from the E60 section. seems pretty impressive. can't wait for Keith's and Chesney's experience on a Touring..

"fsd's are now installed.
Only done around 40 miles on them so early days, but 1st impressions :

The fsd's are considerably more heavy than the stock dampers.
Took around 4 hours to fit.
They are quite impressive, they arnt a night and day improvement over the oe sport dampers but non the less, good roads with a slight ripple in them at low speeds are completely ironed out now, drain covers and medium faults in the road are barely noticable now, larger pot holes are still there with a slap rather than the sport damper shudder, road noise seems slightly reduced. The steering isnt affected by pot holes now were before the shudder would be felt thru the steering. Car feels better under braking. Car does feel more planted with the steering just giving you the feedback you want rather than telling you about every ripple in the road.
Havnt done any b road nippy driving yet so cant comment there, but yes a considerable improvement imo over the sport dampers.

Was a little nervy before fitting them if it was the right decision, but atm i am very pleased.

Have to say having now been intimate with the under pinnings of the e60, all credit to bmw for what is a very impressive bit of engineering design using light weight materials wherever possible, did seem slightly wrong putting the heavy fsd's on when bmw have obviously gone to so much trouble to reduce weight."
Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

I also found this post by member Alfonze:

"I have FSD, love it. On good road i dont see a lot of difference in handling over the OEM sport shocks, but on the bad road wow, the car feels like my old E38 750 and that with 19" wheels:-) The difference on bad roads is huge, if you dont have ideal road conditions all around you, i strongly reccomend the FSD. Best compromise between sporty ride and comfort.

a little review i found
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthrea...p;highlight=fsd

Tirerack review
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp"
Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Members

Been delayed getting these as the idiotic delivery company couldn't find the address I gave them but never thought to contact me! Only found out after chasing up the supplier. FFS my sat nav easily finds it and there have been houses in this place for over 200 years LOL!!

Should be getting them on Monday and will have to rush to fit them rather than having breathing space that I would have done had they arrived LAST monday as promised.

Not sure how long it'll take to fit them but hoping its not too hard and all the parts come off without too much hassle........

Quick Reply: Koni FSD's