E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

It's here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: May 2009 BMW 535d M-Sport Touring in Carbon Black.

My long awaited E61 535d M-Sport Touring finally arrived the week before last. Since I waved goodbye to my RS4 back in March I've been relying on the wife's Focus for transport so I was really keen to get my hands on the 535.

I delayed posting until a) I had a chance to clean it and b) I'd had a chance to drive it.

So far I'm very impressed...

The pros:
- Love the new iDrive, simple to use and fast.
- The performance seems excellent and I'm sure it'll loosen up further.
- The RFTs seem fine to me, grippy enough, not too loud and I think the ride is fine. (but then maybe I'm just used to it from my previous car).
- The colour, loving carbon black. Not quite blue and not quite black and with a nice metallic fleck.
- The shortcut display when you touch but not press the button.
- The phone integration and sound quality is excellent.

The cons:
- Not sure voice control is useful.
- No navigation arrow display on the instrument panel. Although I knew this before I bought it, should have got HUD.
- Arrow display on the split screen is fine but I have to turn it on/off when not navigating. I'm sure I'll figure that out.
- Paint quality isn't bad but isn't great, there is some orange peel.
- No engine oil / water temperature gauge so no way to tell when it's up to temperature.
- Can't navigate to addresses stored in my phone. It thinks the United Kingdom is in the Netherlands so I changed all of my addresses to Great Britain which works better but while it finds the cities it can't figure out the street address part.

The questions:
- Where's the toolkit? I thought all BMWs came with a kit with a little torch.
- What does the extended lighting package do? The dealer did tell me but I can't remember. Is it things like the puddle lights under the mirrors?
- Is there any way to have the mirrors auto-fold when you lock the car?
- Is there any way to get an audible chirp when the car is locked?

The picture:
- This is after a careful wash (two bucket method), claybar, 2nd wash, wax with Dodo Juice Purple Haze and finally some Dodo Juice Red Mist. Now it not only looks great but smells of fruit! Lovely!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

- No engine oil / water temperature gauge so no way to tell when it's up to temperature.
> There are some marks on your rev counter which will change according to the engine temperature.

> The tool kit should be in a bag on the side of boot area, where your first aid kit is located or on the opposite side compartment.

- What does the extended lighting package do? The dealer did tell me but I can't remember. Is it things like the puddle lights under the mirrors?
> Yes, it is and also the footwell lights and interior door handle ambient light which are not included in the standard models.

Hope it helps

> Don't think you can, but you can choose to have the indicator flash switched on or off from your idrive screen.

- Is there any way to have the mirrors auto-fold when you lock the car?
> Try hold down your lock button on your key fob when locking.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Car looks terrific. Not sure where they stash the tools on the Touring, but I'm sure someone will chime in. The torch should be in the glovebox in a little charging socket. In the US anyway, you can have the audible chirp, but I can't remember if it's a dealer set or through the i-Drive.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Nice and clean. Looking good.

You should be able to change the audible chirp via iDrive (at least for US spec). I usually push down on the knob to access the vehicle settings. You have a newer version, so playing around with it.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Members

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll report back.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Congrats on the new car. I agree with your praise of Carbon Black - a wonderful color unless one lives in the desert.

Chirps:

> Don't think you can, but you can choose to have the indicator flash switched on or off from your iDrive screen.

Mine chirps when I lock and unlock. There is an option in the iDrive under Settiings/Doors were one can select an audible indication of lock/unlock - that may the a US specific mode though - I would ask my dealer.

> The tool kit should be in a bag on the side of boot area, where your first aid kit is located or on the opposite side compartment.

Don't worry, mine only has the tow hook, a 10/13 mm open wrench (spanner?) and the screwdriver.

Best of luck with the new car.

I wish we in the US could buy the E61 535D!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Enjoy!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Members

Thanks again chaps. I'll check with the dealer on the chirps as I've looked in iDrive, found the indicator flash option but nothing audible that I can see.

I forgot to add:

Pros:
- The audio, I didn't spec Logic 7 so I wasn't expecting much but it's surprisingly good for a basic system.

Cons:
- Lane departure warning, this comes as standard with the 535d. I really don't see the point, it's a fairly expensive option but the adaptive cruise would be far more useful. Part of me suspects that this is an option that almost no one takes so they bundled it with the 535d to use them up. Seriously if you can't stay in a lane then you shouldn't be driving!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Congrats!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Congratulations on the new 5er

The autofold function for the mirrors when locking/unlocking the doors needs to be activated by the dealer. Its a quick item for them to do, so image you can do this next time you pass by or at a service.
When its been activated, its then just a matter of holding the close button on the key a couple of seconds longer when closing and when opening you simply press the button as normal and they fold open.

Thanks for the write up