E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

iPod & aux-in

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

I'm hacked off with using my iTrip to broadcast into my radio. My local stealership wants hundreds of pounds to install some kind of interface (and my leather seats aren't soft enough to cradle my ass after the dealer's tucked one up me). So i guess there must be a part number for an aux lead that I can buy and install myself so that I can just plug my pod into the car to achieve better quality sound.....? Has anyone done this already and if so, do you have any information, part numbers or advice

Cheers
Old 08-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Members

I think you have three options only one of which you can do yourself if you can already play MP3 cds:

1) Get the dealer to install and most importantly program your car to accept the Aux input (it won't work unless its been programmed by the dealer).
2) Get the dealer to install the official iPod connectivity kit.
3) Get the Dension Gateway 500 installed and if you do not have a CD changer in the car you will need to get the Gateway programmed by the dealer for you car.

Option 1 is pretty poor IMO and I don't think it works out that much cheaper than the other 2 options that let you control the iPod via iDrive.

Important - options 2 & 3 require that you can already play MP3 cds in your car, if not you will have to get the Progman software on your car updated first so that you can. Option 2 could work out cheaper in this case if the dealer does it as part of the iPod kit installation.

Option 2 and 3 work out about the same cost, however with option 3 the iPod support is better, you also get a USB input and you can optionally output video from the ipod or input MP3s from a bluetooth music compatible phone. Finally if you already have a CD changer with option 2 you will have to lose it, but you can keep it with option 2.

It is possible to install option 3 yourself, but only if you have a CD changer and you can play MP3 CDs, it is the only option that can.

I have gone for option 3 as I wanted the video output from my iPod for my portable screens that my kids use on long journeys and its being fitted today after having the progman update done at the dealer yesterday. If it all goes well it should be finished tonight and I'll post some pictures for you.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Geoff Ashcroft' post='463648' date='Aug 29 2007, 10:16 AM
I'm hacked off with using my iTrip to broadcast into my radio. My local stealership wants hundreds of pounds to install some kind of interface (and my leather seats aren't soft enough to cradle my ass after the dealer's tucked one up me). So i guess there must be a part number for an aux lead that I can buy and install myself so that I can just plug my pod into the car to achieve better quality sound.....? Has anyone done this already and if so, do you have any information, part numbers or advice

Cheers
What model year is your car ?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:18 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Originally Posted by Stormbird' post='479197' date='Oct 8 2007, 05:12 PM
What model year is your car ?
It was first registered in May 2006....