E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Introducing myself... soon to be 2008 535xi owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi wagon. Monaco Blue/Dakota Brown interior, M Package

Originally Posted by mmitev
looks great in this colour, with the shadow line and the Mtech front

are these OEM wheels meant for the E60/61 at all? I can only find them in the E90 catalogue as Style 189 but they certainly look the part as a winter set
I know these are OEM rims, but I have no idea where they are from actually!

I finally learned what LCI is... and saw on another thread that you can install a pre-LCI bumper by drilling out the PDC holes (which are pre-marked)with an 18mm hole, and then use the existing PDC software to finish the install. I hope this is true, I only saw this solution discussed one time by a user who said he has completed it.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/937...i/page__st__15

Noticed that quite a few people with 19" rims make the car look like the it's really undertired and the wheels are well within the wheel wells... maybe I'll stick with 18" after all... with the horrible N.Cali roads anything else may be too harsh? Tough to make these decisions without seeing the results ahead of time, but I know I'm set on lowering the car a bit with HR springs, and adding those awesome forgestars... 18" or 19"... 18" or 19"... argh! decisions! When I look at an e46 M3 for example, I actually PREFER the 18" meaty tire look vs the 19" thin ones... I realize this is sacrilegious to say in this company, but maybe I'll go with a wider tire 18" or higher offset wheel so as to fill out the wheel wells to the body?

Have to find out what an M5 wagon uses... that might just be the best setup
Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Senior Members

I am totally in your camp in preferring meaty tires vs. skinny ones.

M5 wagon uses 19 inch wheels, but I think the tyres are a bit meatier than the normal E61, due to the M's higher suspension. At least the 18 inch M wheels use 245/45 tires vs 245/40 stock E61.

I think you can actually fit meatier (higher sidewall) tyres than stock on a E61 to 18 as well as 19 inch wheels - I am at least going to do that soon on my 18 inch wheels soon.

The only thing you have to be careful is how much you lower the car, and also the offsets. Your offsets are very different to the RWD E61's and to the M5. I think your current wheels are from E90 simply because the RWD E90 offset is so close to the E61 xDrive offset (35 vs 43 or so).

All in all, you have to calculate very carefully and maybe use a spacer here and there in order to combine lowering/meaty tires/x-drive offests/19-inch objectives for a completely "flush and meaty" look. Alo bear in mind that different tyre models (same sizes!) will have an effect on rubbing (or not rubbing). But I think its doable and totally worth it
Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Members

car is on the truck leaving from San Diego...

Sunday I'll be on a plane leaving for San Fran...

Monday we meet...

Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

My 5 cent$

I drive BMW's for several reasons. Great quality, fine detailing, great handling, world class engines, great sound and rear wheel drive.

Dríving a 6 cylinder diesel, I've this time around compromised on the great sound, though it isn't outright bad; but I will not ever compromise on the rear wheel drive.

Unless you live on a mountain road where it snows 280 days a year, I just don't get what you want with a 4-wheel drive for?

I've owned a Jeep Cherokee many years ago and a recent ride was a Subaru Legacy GT with all-wheel drive but by then, despite the nice 272 HP, I had had it with allwheel drive.

I may not be sliding the rear every day, but I know I can and I do it often enough. Having all four wheels driven is also gas guzzling and wholly unnecesary; adding heft and expense.

It may be efficient in terms of propelling the car, especially on gravel and in wet weather but you compromise on the fun. Save the x and have more fun.

Just my 5 cent$
Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
My 5 cent$

I drive BMW's for several reasons. Great quality, fine detailing, great handling, world class engines, great sound and rear wheel drive.

Dríving a 6 cylinder diesel, I've this time around compromised on the great sound, though it isn't outright bad; but I will not ever compromise on the rear wheel drive.

Unless you live on a mountain road where it snows 280 days a year, I just don't get what you want with a 4-wheel drive for?

I've owned a Jeep Cherokee many years ago and a recent ride was a Subaru Legacy GT with all-wheel drive but by then, despite the nice 272 HP, I had had it with allwheel drive.

I may not be sliding the rear every day, but I know I can and I do it often enough. Having all four wheels driven is also gas guzzling and wholly unnecesary; adding heft and expense.

It may be efficient in terms of propelling the car, especially on gravel and in wet weather but you compromise on the fun. Save the x and have more fun.

Just my 5 cent$
I would agree with you completely, however in the US there are very very few european wagons for sale (a4/a6/e350/e500/e63/328i/535xi)... there are few engine choices... and i was torn between the audi a6 but the 3.0 engine offered here has no power... the bmw offering is only the 535xi... that is IT! So, that's what I'm stuck with.

one good thing is that BMW's system is rear wheel drive based (vs audi's front wheel drive based quattro system) so at least it should retain some handling dynamics. I will probably be able to use the system 4-5 days/ year when I drive to lake tahoe to go skiing.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I've been through the thought experiment many times when I was contemplating an Audi or Alfa Romeo. My compromise was eventually to choose an allwheel drive version and that was a choice I could live with. I'll admit in daily driving it is hard to notice the difference between front and rear wheel drive but it is the potential that the rwd has that is so alluring. I was going to write an analogy between the thought of doing a full out powerslide versus the promise of sex but since I don't know if there are younger eyes reading these posts you will have to leave that to your imagination. OK, so much for waxing lyrical about rwd. It's great that the BMW is biased towards rwd; I've never actually driven an x version but I know you'll be getting a great looking, powerful, high quality driving machine. Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
I've been through the thought experiment many times when I was contemplating an Audi or Alfa Romeo. My compromise was eventually to choose an allwheel drive version and that was a choice I could live with. I'll admit in daily driving it is hard to notice the difference between front and rear wheel drive but it is the potential that the rwd has that is so alluring. I was going to write an analogy between the thought of doing a full out powerslide versus the promise of sex but since I don't know if there are younger eyes reading these posts you will have to leave that to your imagination. OK, so much for waxing lyrical about rwd. It's great that the BMW is biased towards rwd; I've never actually driven an x version but I know you'll be getting a great looking, powerful, high quality driving machine. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

thanks!... if I get really annoyed with it, I'll just reach underneath the car and tear out the front differential and half-shafts... and BLAM... RWD.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

If your car comes with runflats, then upgrading to normal tyres on 19" will probably have no discernable negative effect on comfort.

Our car is still on its winter shoes (16" + non-RF tyres) and I'm almost dreading going back to the uncomfortable 18" stock with RF on.