E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

INSURANCE WITH (DMS) MODIFIED CAR

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:03 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Yes you do have to declare every modification, even 20" rims.
It does not matter that the mod does not contribute to the accident, under UK law they are entitled to refuse to pay out....and will !

Your insurance is based upon the risk, including the power/weight of the car as supplied by BMW. If you up it you are driving a different car to the one you decalred.

Might as well by a 535, tell the insurance it is a 525 and keep your finger crossed.

?40,000 for a car and argue over a few pounds extra insurance, madness.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 530D M SPORT - Silver

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='225406' date='Jan 17 2006, 04:03 PM
Yes you do have to declare every modification, even 20" rims.
It does not matter that the mod does not contribute to the accident, under UK law they are entitled to refuse to pay out....and will !

Your insurance is based upon the risk, including the power/weight of the car as supplied by BMW. If you up it you are driving a different car to the one you decalred.

Might as well by a 535, tell the insurance it is a 525 and keep your finger crossed.

?40,000 for a car and argue over a few pounds extra insurance, madness.
Hi Keith

Take your point about "?40,000 for a car why argue over a few pounds extra insurance, madness"

However in my case, my current insurer wanted rather more than a few pounds ?800 more (50% increase on std premium) to be precise, and in ringing round i got simular figures from other companies and some that did not even want to quote.

The point of me starting this thread was to see what insurance companies other people use that have had there cars ECU modified, and what premium they have applied for the modification.

I will declare it to which ever insurance company i go with, as to not do in a car of this value would be stupidity beyond belief. However i just want a good deal.

Any suggestions for insurers that deal with people in a reasonable way, instead of putting you in the "Boy Racer" caterory would be welcomed.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 AM
KAF
Contributors

I am insured with First Alternative, not sure what thier attitude to the mod would be but they gave me the best quote for standard spec by miles. ?360, (mind you at 49 yrs old I probably qualify for a senile discount !!)
Old 01-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='225355' date='Jan 17 2006, 03:44 PM
Even a external plug-in box?
If yes, how? From what data records can they see that a box was plugged?
Yep. They can!

You'd be surprised by all the data they can see.

They can tell you how often you started the car, how often you used your toys, how long, how far, how much... they know it if they want to.
Also, when the car gets logged on to the computer system at the dealer, your car is sending data to Munich, and if the database in Munich recognises something that is not correct, the dealer gets notified of warranty work, service to be done or other stuff...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
KAF
Contributors

Backs up a comment I made in a similar post, that mods such as this give them the opportunity to invalidate the warranty.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='225666
Yep. They can!

They can tell you how often you started the car, how often you used your toys, how long, how far, how much... they know it if they want to.
Also, when the car gets logged on to the computer system at the dealer, your car is sending data to Munich, and if the database in Munich recognises something that is not correct, the dealer gets notified of warranty work, service to be done or other stuff...
[/quote]
Hum... that requires a lot of data logging... I imagine they log events like start, stop, red-lined, failures and so on, but all running data seems too much...
How do you know that? I have seen some of your previous posts about this, have you seen/know how it works?
So from your point of view, nothing should be done, right?
Thanks!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='225835
Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='225355' date='Jan 17 2006, 03:44 PM
Yep. They can!

Hum... that requires a lot of data logging... I imagine they log events like start, stop, red-lined, failures and so on, but all running data seems too much...
How do you know that? I have seen some of your previous posts about this, have you seen/know how it works?
So from your point of view, nothing should be done, right?
Thanks!
[/quote]

Yeah amn they can see all, from even the nice device they put our key in... even if you floored, burned rubber.-) or jammed the windows when how what time, NO PRIVACY

black box if it was installed there is a log, if you disconnect it yes they see that too, that is why it is unfair from tuner they swear 2 G that it is undetectable, yes it is if you see it with your eyes, you see nothing but their technology sees all.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I think, from previous postings on this issue (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18745&hl=dms) that as DMS say, their upgrade is undetectable. As is mentioned earlier, commercial companies cannot afford to capture so much data on the offchance that they might use it. Sometimes I think we think that a lot of these multi-national companies are a lot more advanced than they are. i mean, BMW can't even integrate an iPod into the E60, or upgrade the software in less than a day - never mind sitting around analysing a car's data, other than what they need to keep the customer happy and earn their pay check.

Relax everyone.....
Old 01-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

This would be a very good question to ask the technicians when the forum members visit the Dingolfing plant in July. Can you detect a remap or not, if they can do they have to look specifically for it or dose it just show up ?
Infact I'm going so i ask them, if i remember..
Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='225835
I think that as DMS say, their upgrade is undetectable.
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO !!!

Trust me, it IS detectable!!! And that exactly is the reason that they give a warranty, because it is very possible that BMW will not cover any damages, once they find out about the mod.

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' post='225971
This would be a very good question to ask the technicians when the forum members visit the Dingolfing plant in July. Can you detect a remap or not, if they can do they have to look specifically for it or dose it just show up ?
Infact I'm going so i ask them, if i remember..
I can give you the answer right now:

Sorry, I can not comment on that.

I have seen some of the stuff myself.........

Quick Reply: INSURANCE WITH (DMS) MODIFIED CAR