E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Importing Italian E61 530d touring into US

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM
zio
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing Italian E61 530d touring into US

Anyone have any experience with importing an Italian/German/Any Euro spec non X-Drive E61 into the US?

My main issue with the US spec E61 is that (from what I have read and seen) all are AWD X-Drive. I have no use for all wheel drive and would prefer a rear wheel drive wagon. I was on holiday in Italy and found a nice '07 530d wagon for sale in Rome and fell in love with it.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Members

Slim chance unless you're in the military or a diplomat. Not either one? Only other option is if you can afford to spend more than the cost of a brand new one in the USA just to cover various import fees.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

just order an F31 next spring with a manual.

otherwise, what "use" do you have for a large 5 series RWD wagon anyway? A bit silly I think. The 5 is so large it's not a sports car in the build you mention. A 320D is basically a wonderful travel car so why the heck not let it be AWD?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
just order an F31 next spring with a manual.

otherwise, what "use" do you have for a large 5 series RWD wagon anyway? A bit silly I think. The 5 is so large it's not a sports car in the build you mention. A 320D is basically a wonderful travel car so why the heck not let it be AWD?
I have only read that the f31 is coming flappy paddle only. Is that not the case? If not, that is great news.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 PM
zio
New Members

I have owned 5 different 3 series to date and have grown out of their size. Considered the E90 wagon but found it to be just as cramped as my previous cars. I do like the fact they offer them in rear wheel drive, though.

The E61 is a great size, I would drive a 7 series wagon if they made it. I find BMWs with sport package and nice tires to be nimble regardless of size. If I want to race something, I jump into my shifter kart.

As far as the X-Drive goes, I have a lot of friends and shop owners who tell me horror stories about all the moving parts (CV, axels, diffs) involved with the AWD setup. This is the same reason why I won't buy an Audi quattro. I put a ton of miles on my cars for work and I have always had great luck (200k + on a few of them) with a rear wheel drive inline 6 BMW.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM
zio
New Members

Originally Posted by constant
Slim chance unless you're in the military or a diplomat. Not either one? Only other option is if you can afford to spend more than the cost of a brand new one in the USA just to cover various import fees.
Do you have any direct experience with importing?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zio
I have owned 5 different 3 series to date and have grown out of their size. Considered the E90 wagon but found it to be just as cramped as my previous cars. I do like the fact they offer them in rear wheel drive, though.

The E61 is a great size, I would drive a 7 series wagon if they made it. I find BMWs with sport package and nice tires to be nimble regardless of size. If I want to race something, I jump into my shifter kart.

As far as the X-Drive goes, I have a lot of friends and shop owners who tell me horror stories about all the moving parts (CV, axels, diffs) involved with the AWD setup. This is the same reason why I won't buy an Audi quattro. I put a ton of miles on my cars for work and I have always had great luck (200k + on a few of them) with a rear wheel drive inline 6 BMW.
Well, about the 3 series size, it's good you don't like how small it is, because it grew considerably for the new version width, length, wheelbase, etc. May fit you quite well now.

However, I agree with you on the E61 proportions. I like this one a lot more in that sense than the 2007 E91 I had for about a year. Even though that E91 was almost the perfect car for you 6mt, RWD, totally loaded, very fun.

I think you might be more worried about the current AWD system in the BMW, maybe the earlier AWD was less reliable but it's not something I hear about often.

About the Audi, I think you must be mistaken for another brand. The Quattro system is one of the most reliable and robust made. It's also fairly simple in that it relies very little on electronics. The Torsen center differential is mechanical and does it's work based on physical changes, at least up through the 2008 time range of models.

There are many many Audi Quattro with 200,000 miles which have nothing failing in the AWD aspect.

There are repairs in the world, things do wear out, but this isn't "horror" story stuff. It's just basic maintenance. I think you have heard from people making a lot of noise about nothing.

Now, I would agree with you on the transmission but have you been running only manual transmissions? Is a manual absolutely required for you? If not, then I call BS on the rest of the stuff you mentioned because the manual is truly more reliable simply due to it's design and of course cheaper to maintain.

Like me, you will be limiting yourself to fewer vehicles as "progress" takes away all of our choices. This is why I bought my Audi S4 Avant, MT6, brand new in 2008. It is the very last 6 spd Audi wagon with any balls. It may actually be the last 6mt Audi wagon ever to come to North America Same goes for the E61 I bought as a cpo in 2010. I got lucky finding my 1st choice color combo and with the options I wanted.

I suggest you give a try to one of the E61, in 6mt, and just see how long you can live with the AWD?

Or, cross your fingers for the F11 to be RWD, 6mt, and just barely big enough to fit your desires.

You could go completely opposite and find a Mercedes R63. It is RWD at least and has a huge growl to help you forget about the lack of a third pedal. They are at least quite large, but the AMG treatment ought to help it handle less like a big boat.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zio
Do you have any direct experience with importing?
He's trying to say you cannot do this unless you are of the suggested status. Even then those people do not get permanent registration.

Nothing remotely like the car you are asking about has ever come here so that makes it pretty much impossible. If this were possible, you would hear of the following cars imported well before a nice, but mundane 530D

M5 Touring
M3 Touring

M550D Touring

recent RS6 Avant

any RS4 Avant

Range Rover TDV8

LR3 TD5

any recent Defender
any recent G wagen such as the "Pure" "Professional" or CDI versions

Lot's of people with very deep pockets try this stuff and the cars do not arrive here.

The only cool thing I've seen was a V10 RS6 Avant a few years ago that came in via Mexico, registered in AZ or NM then lived in CA. Of course this would be a cash purchase, then a tricky registration process. You could try to track down that person on the Audizine or VW Vortex forums or try to use the dealer from overseas where you might want to purchase a vehicle. If anything is possible, they would want to try to help in order to sell a car.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 AM
zio
New Members

Well, about the 3 series size, it's good you don't like how small it is, because it grew considerably for the new version width, length, wheelbase, etc. May fit you quite well now.

However, I agree with you on the E61 proportions. I like this one a lot more in that sense than the 2007 E91 I had for about a year. Even though that E91 was almost the perfect car for you 6mt, RWD, totally loaded, very fun.

I think you might be more worried about the current AWD system in the BMW, maybe the earlier AWD was less reliable but it's not something I hear about often.

About the Audi, I think you must be mistaken for another brand. The Quattro system is one of the most reliable and robust made. It's also fairly simple in that it relies very little on electronics. The Torsen center differential is mechanical and does it's work based on physical changes, at least up through the 2008 time range of models.

There are many many Audi Quattro with 200,000 miles which have nothing failing in the AWD aspect.

There are repairs in the world, things do wear out, but this isn't "horror" story stuff. It's just basic maintenance. I think you have heard from people making a lot of noise about nothing.

Now, I would agree with you on the transmission but have you been running only manual transmissions? Is a manual absolutely required for you? If not, then I call BS on the rest of the stuff you mentioned because the manual is truly more reliable simply due to it's design and of course cheaper to maintain.

Like me, you will be limiting yourself to fewer vehicles as "progress" takes away all of our choices. This is why I bought my Audi S4 Avant, MT6, brand new in 2008. It is the very last 6 spd Audi wagon with any balls. It may actually be the last 6mt Audi wagon ever to come to North America Same goes for the E61 I bought as a cpo in 2010. I got lucky finding my 1st choice color combo and with the options I wanted.

I suggest you give a try to one of the E61, in 6mt, and just see how long you can live with the AWD?

Or, cross your fingers for the F11 to be RWD, 6mt, and just barely big enough to fit your desires.

You could go completely opposite and find a Mercedes R63. It is RWD at least and has a huge growl to help you forget about the lack of a third pedal. They are at least quite large, but the AMG treatment ought to help it handle less like a big boat.
My local independent service center told me he wouldn't wish after-warranty Audi quattro maintenance on his worst enemy. Maybe he is a bad source. Another shop owner told my wife and I to stay away from anything X-Drive and that he is buying a second home in Maui off of X-Drive repair bills alone. Considered the E-Class wagon but I find they give a different (fancy boy) image than the BMW.

My last two cars (an E46 and a E60) were auto and I never had a problem. Had all manual before those and got sick of shifting (when I'm in traffic). I find if you know how to drive the auto correctly, it will last. I have friends who blow through trannys like there brake pads.

Even considered the TSX wagon and a Subaru but found a lot more things I don't like about them that the BMWs do so well.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 AM
zio
New Members

He's trying to say you cannot do this unless you are of the suggested status. Even then those people do not get permanent registration.

Nothing remotely like the car you are asking about has ever come here so that makes it pretty much impossible. If this were possible, you would hear of the following cars imported well before a nice, but mundane 530D

M5 Touring
M3 Touring

M550D Touring

recent RS6 Avant

any RS4 Avant

Range Rover TDV8

LR3 TD5

any recent Defender
any recent G wagen such as the "Pure" "Professional" or CDI versions

Lot's of people with very deep pockets try this stuff and the cars do not arrive here.

The only cool thing I've seen was a V10 RS6 Avant a few years ago that came in via Mexico, registered in AZ or NM then lived in CA. Of course this would be a cash purchase, then a tricky registration process. You could try to track down that person on the Audizine or VW Vortex forums or try to use the dealer from overseas where you might want to purchase a vehicle. If anything is possible, they would want to try to help in order to sell a car.
You're probably right. I was under the impression that being it was a rather "mundane" engine, it was something kind of regular and not pushing the envelope for smog.

I know a guy who got a Porsche 959 into the USA but it is as a museum piece and not drivable, legally.

Quick Reply: Importing Italian E61 530d touring into US