E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

How to remove headrest from sport seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Hi guys,
new to the board and BMW lineup, so go easy on me

I have an eye on a used 2008 535xi wagon (in US) with sport package, here is a description of seats:

20-way power multi-contour front seats (includes articulated
upper backrest, passenger?s-seat memory, Active Head Restraints,
and adjustable side and thigh support)

My biggest question at this point of decision making is how can I remove a head restraint from a front passenger seat?
I'd like to be able to fold rear and front pas seat flat to carry my surf board etc inside, however the headrest sticks out a bit too high.
I tried adjusting it to its highest point and then whack it from the bottom, but no luck.

Worst case, can I semi-permanently remove it, and then put it back say wen I sell the car?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If these are anything like the power headrests on my X5, they're not easy to remove. The service manual instructions for the X5 required that I remove the seat back and undo the head rest posts from inside the seat. It's relatively permanent given the amount of effort I'd have to go through. I'd suggest putting the surf board on the roof rack or inside a good Thule. Salt water and leather don't go well together.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by JeffVander
If these are anything like the power headrests on my X5, they're not easy to remove. The service manual instructions for the X5 required that I remove the seat back and undo the head rest posts from inside the seat. It's relatively permanent given the amount of effort I'd have to go through. I'd suggest putting the surf board on the roof rack or inside a good Thule. Salt water and leather don't go well together.
That's better than nothing
I actually don't mind removing pass headrest for a few months and installing it back if that involves a significant effort.

Storing a board in a board bag inside a car is a temp solution when I park my car at work/anywhere outside.
I will def use a roof rack for long trips.

Any idea where I could find/download E61 service manual?
Thanks!