E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Help! Using Trunk Modules from other cars? (Trunk flooded)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xi wagon
Default Help! Using Trunk Modules from other cars? (Trunk flooded)

I have done a lot of lurking on this forum and found that water in the trunk damaging things is a big problem. This happened to my car last week and I believe several modules were damaged.

I tried replacing some of them with modules from an E65 but they don't seem to work the same way. Has anyone had any luck with replacing the following from another car, or are these specific to E61?

1. EHC Level Control
2. HKL Trunk lift module.

Right now with the E65 modules the car raises to weird heights and then quits working and I get the message on screen that the suspension level control has malfunctioned.

On a side note the PDC parking distance control works almost 100% from the E65.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:57 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

There is a BMW class action lawsuit regarding this specific issue. From my understanding the diagnosis and relocation is free and there is a settlement pending of 1500 per affected user.

Check it out.
Catalano v. BMW of North America, LLC and BMW AG
Old 07-06-2017, 07:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi wagon

I think I just missed the cutoff!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by bmwmonkey
There is a BMW class action lawsuit regarding this specific issue. From my understanding the diagnosis and relocation is free and there is a settlement pending of 1500 per affected user.

Check it out.
Catalano v. BMW of North America, LLC and BMW AG
yes, that is true. however, i filed a claim back in May with all relevant documentation and have not heard or received anything yet.

to the OP - I think as long as you replace the modules with a module of the same part number, you should be fine. i dont think any modules in the trunk need to be programmed specifically to your car's VIN, but i may be wrong about that. you may need to recalibrate your rear suspension with the new module. it is probably loading the settings from whatever car it came from. I replaced my LCPA module for the retractable cargo cover and it worked fine.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by BostonJon
yes, that is true. however, i filed a claim back in May with all relevant documentation and have not heard or received anything yet.
The documentation says that final hearing to approve the Settlement is July 28, so don't expect anything else in writing until August. I'm sure they will post something in the website though.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:17 AM
Members

My Ride: '08 e61 535ix LCI
Model Year: 2007

UPDATE: I did some searching and found that the judge in the suit has approved the settlement 7/28. The Lawyers Website says to check back by 8/28.

I went to the BMW Dealer and they still no nothing of how to do the work. What they have been told is that they will handle this as a standard recall. Once your car has a recall attached to it that they can see they will schedule the work. Hope this helps. I have TCU; PDC; and TPM damage from water. Anxious to get this fixed.

SIDENOTE: The service writer tells me he is extremely aware of the drain clogging issue as he has 535xi Sedan. Says that cleaning the valves at the end of the drains is not enough. There is an elbow joint in the C pillar that gets clogged and that needs to be cleaned as well. It is about 4.5 feet up the drain. Says blowing out doesn't guarantee the drain is clear.

QUESTION: Why isn't BMW replacing the Sunroof Seals as part of the service?. What am I missing?. J

WEBSITE FOR SUIT: http://e6061wateringresssettlement.com/

Last edited by Johntee540; 08-01-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008

Any updates on this? I do not see anything on the website.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i
Default diagnosis fee

I called my dealership about performing the service and the person I talked to said they will charge a non refundable diagnosis fee of $170 Am I just dealing with the wrong dealership?

QUOTE=BostonJon;1590147]yes, that is true. however, i filed a claim back in May with all relevant documentation and have not heard or received anything yet.

to the OP - I think as long as you replace the modules with a module of the same part number, you should be fine. i dont think any modules in the trunk need to be programmed specifically to your car's VIN, but i may be wrong about that. you may need to recalibrate your rear suspension with the new module. it is probably loading the settings from whatever car it came from. I replaced my LCPA module for the retractable cargo cover and it worked fine.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Here is the language from the settlement site (posted above)

On July 28, 2017, Judge Katherine B. Forrest granted final approval of the Settlement. The Settlement is now Effective. Claims are currently undergoing a confirmation process. The Claims Administrator will advise Claimants, in writing, whether their Claim has been approved and, if so, in what amount, or, if the Claim is denied in whole or in part, will explain why the Claim was denied. Service Campaign relief is also now available to Settlement Class Members with eligible 2007-2010 BMW 5-Series Vehicles with less than 120,000 miles at the time their Vehicle is submitted for inspection, relocation, and any repair or replacement services under the Service Campaign. Settlement Class Members with eligible Vehicles may make an appointment with their local BMW Center to obtain Service Campaign relief.

I'm taking my car in next week to have them look at it. The problem I fear I will have is that while my failure happened about a year ago, I patched it and attempted to fix the problems myself and continued to drive it past the 120k mile mark mentioned above. Because I do my own work (oil changes, brakes, minor repairs) I have no record of the problem starting before 120k... We'll see what happens.

My local (100 miles away) dealer says they have been repairing a variety of sedans, and are just replacing modules and mounting them to a 'relocation bracket' in the side of the trunk. In my case, there seems to have been additional issues with the CAN BUS because after the first flooding incident I had a litany of problems beyond simply replacing modules. I have been driving the car without power steering or power windows for some time now, due to having to remove the fuses to stop the windows from going up and down on their own (even with the ignition off and the key in the house).

Last edited by Sarge; 09-25-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I would not tell you what to do but I know what i would do. As long as you have a receipt from an auto shop that diagnosed the problem then you should be fine.