E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Hello from sunny manchester

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by sparkle999' post='932634' date='Jul 4 2009, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone, I took the plunge today - the RX8 has provided plenty of per mile, but it's time to move on and I've ordered a new 535D M Sport Touring. I've spec'd a number of options and I would be grateful for some advice - or opinion!

A couple of questions really:

1. Requested option 229 - Dynamic Drive. Marked as optional against 535D M Sport. Dealer confused because the system won't let him specify it... I'm confused because the brochure shows it as an option, but the UK BMW website won't let me specify it either! Could someone explain if there are any practical reasons why this option shouldn't be available? And as an aside, if anyone has any opinions on whether it makes a big difference to ride quality or not, that would be great.

2. On the back of various posts around the web re:ride quality/run flats etc, and a quick chat with the dealer, I've left the wheels as the stock M double-spoke style 135M - 18 inch. I was considering ordering the 172Ms - 19 inch. Bad idea? My wife and two daughters are all old enough to moan if their spines get compressed every time we go over a bump. Any views.

3. Have I missed anything obvious on the spec. I have a small amount of time where I can change it...

Model Designation Deletion
Media Pack
Visibility Pack
Metallic Paint
Leather
USB audio interface
Logic 7 hi fi
Anthracite Bamboo wood high gloss
Rear side airbags
Heated Front Seats
Ext mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Extended interior light package
Sport auto transmission
Active Steering
Dynamic Drive [to be confirmed]
Panoramic Sunroof
Seal & Protect
18" standard alloy wheels

Looking forward to driving this awesome machine...
Thanks again
Sp.
I live in New York City, have the Sport Package and the style 172 19 inch wheels. They are fine for all but the biggest potholes. I love them.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

hello

I lived in sunny manchester some years back.

I swapped my standard 16" to e92 17" with RFT and surprised to find that the car/wheels actually felt lighter from driving seat. I reckon the RFTs are quite heavy.

r u going to get active steering? its well worth it.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='932763' date='Jul 5 2009, 12:45 AM
I'm not certain with the UK models, but I aren't the new Touring's all AWD,
No AWD in right hand drive.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

First off welcome on board and great choice of car

I was not aware of Run Flat 19s? I went from 18" Run Flats to 19" non Run Flats and the ride was much better; the non Run Flat tyres, such as Michalin PS2s, are much softer (walls) and as such more comfortable. I swapped to Dunlop Sportmax this time round on my 19" M172 rims and they are only marginally harder than the Michalin PS2s. So if its comfort you are after, then you should go for a set of 19s with Michalin PS2s (not the cheapest, but the best tyre I have had so far.)

You say Run Flats are mandatory? Is that your preference or what the dealer is telling you? If its the later, you can either order a spare wheel to be fitted (thin 17" wheel & max 50mph) or you can do what I did and order the BMW Mobility kit, which is the "gunk" spray.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: Waiting for 535D Estate... Due 18/9/9!

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='932755
I'm not certain with the UK models, but I aren't the new Touring's all AWD, which don't come with dynamic drive? Sport package on my AWD 530 is strictly cosmetic. With dynamic drive the handling is completely flat in the curves...really just amazing! If you have to have the touring version though, you may not have a choice. Honestly, though, I think it is one of the top options to have...IMO.
From what I can tell (having spent too much time on the bmw configurator tool), it removes the option from the list whenever you select the Sport package. It's available as an option for the SE specification, even if the car is a tourer. I suspect as you say it's a great option to have, but the reality will be that I won't be taking the machine anywhere near it's limits so I'll be able to live without it. And as my budget is finite, I can make good use of the money on other things. Naturally, tomorrow the dealer will tell me it's OK to order it - then I'll be in a quandary

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='932809
I lived in sunny manchester some years back........... r u going to get active steering? its well worth it.
Makes a change for some sunshine Usually pouring down.... so instead of the usual complaints, everyone moans about it being too hot
Yes, active steering is on the list - and staying there

The other things I've now done some digging on are:

1. So called "GAP" insurance. The deal from the dealer looks very expensive compared to some brokers online. Car2cover.co.uk offer a "return to invoice" quotation which looks like a lot better value than the BMW suggestion. I'll be taking this up I think. Something along the lines of ?289 one-off for upto ?25K claim across 4 years. I think ?25K ought to cover off most of the risk.

2. "Paint seal & protect". Currently planning on going for this. Yes - probably a lot of dealer profit, and I've read various other threads where for similar money I could get a car valeter to come and get the paintwork "mirror-like" and then seal it. My lifestyle is so hectic that washing and cleaning the car out each week would not remain top priority, so some sort of protection sounds useful- so unless someone knows of a UK company that will do this sort of thing better & cheaper, I'll probably go for it.

3. "Servicing packages". The debate seems to be about whether you get value out of the upfront investment - ?1880 for 5 years/60000 miles of servicing - labour parts and lubricants. Sounds like money for old rope in some cases that I've read about. However, depending on cash, may go for this - buying peace of mind I guess. We do a large number of short journeys and a fair few long runs, probs 12K per annum. The other option is to bung ?376 into a pot each year...

4. "Tyre insurance". Looks like a waste of money. Insures only the tyres that are on the car when the policy is taken out... giving that one a miss.

Finally - for information, just in case it helps anyone, I got 12.6% off list price. No idea if this is good, bad, or what. (I lie. It was as good a price as I could find online, anyway). What worries me is that there was no real haggle. I went away thinking - "maybe I should have pitched it lower" !!

Cheers
sp.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='933018' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:36 AM
if its comfort you are after, then you should go for a set of 19s with Michalin PS2s
Thanks for the advice - really useful. I'll find out what I can from the dealer early this week.
Cheers!
sp
Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Hey...one last comment. The dynamic drive makes a difference in the comfort of the car at all speeds, not just at the limit. Just be sure to drive cars with and without the option on some twisty bit of road before you decide. The stability of the car greatly reduces the fatigue factor. You need to spend a little time in the car to fully appreciate this.

And, last comment...you can add those wheels later after you absorb the cost of getting into the car ...but you can only add the dynamic drive now.

So, that's it. I'm sure you'll make the choice that's right for you. Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Members

Just thought I'd post a thread up to say thankyou for all of the help and guidance offered - it's helped me make a better informed decision. I know it's down to personal preference but it really helps to have feedback from other people

Sales guy came back to me to confirm that you can't have dynamic drive with the sport model, so I've decided to do without that, despite the good feedback. Ended up going for 19" wheels with non-runflat tyres (continental sport contact 2), with spacesaver wheel etc.

Cheers
sp.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Throw in their Tropical Spec. Not sure why but I always found my BMWs with tropical spec to have better AC cooling. Maybe its just me and there is no real difference. hardly cost a lot from factory but worth it since we are all moving towards global warming.

cheers

Ps: The paint and seal stuff I didn't bother and thank god for it. My one application of autoglym polish and gloss has done the job at a fraction of the cost. But I do hear you about not having time. Mind you, if you are getting those "spider" 19inch alloys, be prepared to squat and spend hours cleaning them.

Quick Reply: Hello from sunny manchester