E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Headlight Range

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this on E60 forum originally but then had a specific E61 question>

Do the headlights point particularly low on the E61 anticipating extra loading because the range in dangeriously low in my opinion, on the off-side light

I have a 2008 E61

-------------

My headlights (low beam) are set way too low, particularly the off-side. Causing me to wander around the lane between the white markers.

There are two while hexagonal plastic adjusters bolts either side of the headlight unit when looking down on the light with the hood up, which one adjusts the up /down range of the headlight ? The left or right bolt (looking from front of car). I guess one must do left / right and one up /down ?

Anyone successfully done this and have any tips before I try and adjust the off-side range up a little bit.

I have the range set full up on the internal adjuster wheel and changed the bulbs to Phillip Xtreame.

The car is an 2008 E61, do they set them low anticipating extra loading.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

Its worth having the level checked to make sure its at the optimum level. Not really a DIY job so I'd take it to a garage rather than try to adjust it yourself

Also the e61 has self levelling rear suspension so loading it shouldn't affect the beam asthe sensors keep it at the same height regardless of load.

If you have halogen lights then I agree they are not that great which is why I retrofitted bi-xenons!

They shouldn't be that low that they are making you veere off the centre of the road so I'd start by getting the level checked.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by chesney72' post='1039691' date='Oct 24 2009, 04:11 PM
Its worth having the level checked to make sure its at the optimum level. Not really a DIY job so I'd take it to a garage rather than try to adjust it yourself

Also the e61 has self levelling rear suspension so loading it shouldn't affect the beam asthe sensors keep it at the same height regardless of load.

If you have halogen lights then I agree they are not that great which is why I retrofitted bi-xenons!

They shouldn't be that low that they are making you veere off the centre of the road so I'd start by getting the level checked.
Is it easy / expensive ? to retrofit a bi-xenon kit ? From what I've read it sounds complex and costly.

I have halogen and esterday I raised tthem up by turning the white hex screws (nearest the radiator). A full turn clockwise.

This has made things a little better and they now appear to match my other car's range, (3 touring).

I still think they need a quarter turn more and moving more toward the off-side, as they are heavilly offset to the nearside.

The internal dash headdlight range adjuster wheel doesn't help because that moves the range through a 30-90 ft variance.

I drive a lot of country roads and motorways that are not lit by street lamps so effective lights is really important
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Adjusted mine on my LCI E61, the two hex screws alter height and left / right. Cant remember which now but will have a look later. Mine are much better now, have checked they don't dazzle any one by getting a friend to drive the other way at night. Also fitted some upgraded Phillips bulbs.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

The Bi-xenons I bought were already set up to be just plug and play.

I did however do a retrofit from scratch on my last 3 series and I think its similar in complexity to the 5 series. To avoid strobbing and warning lights you need to fit a small resistor to the wiring. On the 5 series though each headlight needs an extra earth but this is very simple.

There is a how to guide for the 3 series on bmwland http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=67744

The difference in the full beam is massive and like you I drive country roads and it makes driving far less stressful in the dark winter nights!