E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 525dA saloon

Originally Posted by Angelic0-' post='700859' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:06 AM
My 530d is getting around 3,9-4,2 l/100km on the run...

and around the eights in town.... that is 7,8-8,4 l/100km in town..

I beleive the 525d should be similar, i would have it checked at the nearest BMW Service, and have them read the codes...

I bet your MAF is bad... does it smoke bad, or have less power than normal ?
These are awesome figures - 7,8-8,4 l/100km in town!

No smoke or less power everything seams normal with the car.
I spoke to the BMW people, but they weren't very helpful. They hinted that this sort of urban consumption in a town like London with lots of traffic jams was normal.
So, I had the car checked in an independent garage. They tested the emissions and were very good - 0.07 (I was told the legal limit in UK was 3), no smoke or something.
I insisted that they check the air filter and they found it was dirty, so I had it replaced. The consumption improved for a while, but now is up again - showing 17 l/100km. The only other thing that the mechanics spotted was that the front run flat tyres were a bit unevenly worn, but I am not sure if this affects the consumption that much.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by plamen_koychev' post='700874' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:54 AM
These are awesome figures - 7,8-8,4 l/100km in town!

No smoke or less power everything seams normal with the car.
I spoke to the BMW people, but they weren't very helpful. They hinted that this sort of urban consumption in a town like London with lots of traffic jams was normal.
So, I had the car checked in an independent garage. They tested the emissions and were very good - 0.07 (I was told the legal limit in UK was 3), no smoke or something.
I insisted that they check the air filter and they found it was dirty, so I had it replaced. The consumption improved for a while, but now is up again - showing 17 l/100km. The only other thing that the mechanics spotted was that the front run flat tyres were a bit unevenly worn, but I am not sure if this affects the consumption that much.
wow, this is way too much....

this is what my M5 is spending in heavy traffic in Reykjav?k.. 17-19l/100km

there is obviously something wrong, have you got the codes read ?

I am sure your car is in some kind of limp mode, this consumption is something i do not even get when on full throttle...

I ran my car 50km, doing ~260kmh... and consumption average was 15,8l/100km
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Angelic0-' post='700877' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:05 AM
there is obviously something wrong, have you got the codes read ?
If you mean the errors check menue, I have checked them- no errors, no warnings.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

You're car is indeed very thirsty

My 530d auto ('04 model) does 7.9l/100 km average according to the computer (a bit more when measured at refueling). That's 75% around town and the car is remapped. I can drive around 700 km before refueling.

As AngelicO stated, perhaps your MAF is defective, but you should notice it also on the power (or the lack of). I remember an old topic of a 530d owner, who stated that his car had a rough idle (the car shaking a little bit), especially with the engine on temperature. He also had high fuel consumption and the dealer told him the engine was running 'rich' (a sort of 'limp' mode as Angelic0 already mentioned). He got a software update and all was sorted out (the car also drove smoother).
Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='700890' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:03 PM
You're car is indeed very thirsty

My 530d auto ('04 model) does 7.9l/100 km average according to the computer (a bit more when measured at refueling). That's 75% around town and the car is remapped. I can drive around 700 km before refueling.

As AngelicO stated, perhaps your MAF is defective, but you should notice it also on the power (or the lack of). I remember an old topic of a 530d owner, who stated that his car had a rough idle (the car shaking a little bit), especially with the engine on temperature. He also had high fuel consumption and the dealer told him the engine was running 'rich' (a sort of 'limp' mode as Angelic0 already mentioned). He got a software update and all was sorted out (the car also drove smoother).
Hi LW78,
if MAF(mass airflow sensor) is defective and engine is running 'rich' wouldn?t this be captured during emission tests? I had it tested and even the mechanics were surprised how 'clean' the emissions were - 0.07. There is no smoke or lack of power and I haven't noticed any shaking on idle. I have read the old topic of the 530d owner and was considering upgrading the car software. Not sure what version it is, I used the topics about the hidden menus, and the last entry in the menu was ?L 03-05-500 vom 08.12.2004?. Can this be used to determine what the current software version is? One other thing is that you guys have your cars remapped, so you are gaining some extra efficiency. I am new to all this but what are the drawbacks of having the car remapped? Do you get any long term effects to the car? Do I need software update before the remap, or can I do the remap instead?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 04:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by plamen_koychev' post='700916' date='Oct 23 2008, 02:28 PM
Hi LW78,
if MAF(mass airflow sensor) is defective and engine is running 'rich' wouldn?t this be captured during emission tests? I had it tested and even the mechanics were surprised how 'clean' the emissions were - 0.07. There is no smoke or lack of power and I haven't noticed any shaking on idle. I have read the old topic of the 530d owner and was considering upgrading the car software. Not sure what version it is, I used the topics about the hidden menus, and the last entry in the menu was ?L 03-05-500 vom 08.12.2004?. Can this be used to determine what the current software version is? One other thing is that you guys have your cars remapped, so you are gaining some extra efficiency. I am new to all this but what are the drawbacks of having the car remapped? Do you get any long term effects to the car? Do I need software update before the remap, or can I do the remap instead?
Thanks
Hi,

If you would like to get your car remapped, you should do that AFTER you get your software update. The software update will erase all software (thus also the remap!).

Do you have a particle filter? It may explane why the car doesn't smoke! You should inform at your BMW dealership about the valve that I mentioned earlier. My mechanic once explained the use of it and why the car was smoking, only I'm not that technical, so I forgot most he said

To me it seems that the car is running a limp mode.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by plamen_koychev' post='700888' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:47 AM
If you mean the errors check menue, I have checked them- no errors, no warnings.
No, the dealer or BMW service should have connected it to a Computer. and have read and erased all error codes...

Get them to read the error codes... should not be too much of trouble for them... i usually get it for free at my dealership...
Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Members

I dont think any of these guys have ever experienced limp home mode before! Your car would run like a bag of spanners and there is defentily a massive reduction in power. My VW Touareg slipped into limp home mode a couple of months a go because one of the fuses to the engine management had blown.
I achieve about 28 or 29 miles per gallon around town with my automatic 525 D and about 42 or 44 on a long run. The fuel computer says about 25 or 26 miles per gallon around town but a quick manual calculation cleary proofed that the computer was slighty wrong.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bigun' post='703104' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:38 AM
I dont think any of these guys have ever experienced limp home mode before! Your car would run like a bag of spanners and there is defentily a massive reduction in power. My VW Touareg slipped into limp home mode a couple of months a go because one of the fuses to the engine management had blown.
I achieve about 28 or 29 miles per gallon around town with my automatic 525 D and about 42 or 44 on a long run. The fuel computer says about 25 or 26 miles per gallon around town but a quick manual calculation cleary proofed that the computer was slighty wrong.
Perhaps that a BMW is different than a Touareg??

I think we definetely said some kind of limp mode, because the engine is running 'rich'. I'm aware of the fact that the VAG products have a limp mode that almost cuts all the power, but a BMW is much 'smarter'
Old 10-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525D TOURING LCI M-sport, Spacegrau with black dakota leather, head-up, adaptive cc, night vision, and many more options.

Talking about fuel consumption, can someone share their experience with a 525D LCI automatic, preferrably in l/km or km/l? If I see the "official" consumption it should be more economical than my Audi A3 1.9 tdi... (average according to BMW would be 6.6l per 100 km...)

Thanks

Quick Reply: fuel consumption