E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Frustrated newbie needing help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a frustrated newbie looking for answers....

I bought a 2006 530xi wagon a few years ago and have had fairly severe vibrations at certain speeds (usually around 50 and 70mph). I've taken it to 2 bmw dealers, another mechanic specializing in BMW, and two tire shops. I had it re-aligned, changed the tires, and they can't find the problem. At first, the mechanic said the wheels were bent, but the tire shops said they weren't after balancing them. Mechanic confirmed nothing is wrong with the front end. As i have not been able to find this wheel on other 2006 xi's (only similiar style on 7series), I am wondering if it is the wrong wheel and offset which may be causing the vibrations (but have no idea). See picture attached. Any idea what model these are?
I am running 245/40 zr 18 tires and prefer not to have to buy new tires as i just got these. Im almost willing to buy new wheels to see if that will work, but that is an expensive gamble. Please help--its painful driving a 5 series with this problem!!
Attached Thumbnails Frustrated newbie needing help-imag0121.jpg  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

If the wheels are off a 7 series there is one thing to note: the 7 series uses larger diameter wheel bolts (14mm vs 12mm) than the 5 series so the taper of the 5 series bolts might not seat correctly on the wheels. The hub sizes between the two cars are the same so the wheels should center properly and so the bolt size difference shouldn't matter.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by phelix
If the wheels are off a 7 series there is one thing to note: the 7 series uses larger diameter wheel bolts (14mm vs 12mm) than the 5 series so the taper of the 5 series bolts might not seat correctly on the wheels. The hub sizes between the two cars are the same so the wheels should center properly and so the bolt size difference shouldn't matter.
is the wheel offset going to be the same for the 7 series? would a difference even cause an issue? any idea if these are even stock to a 530xi or if they are just stock to a 7 series? thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Specs for BMW wheels can be found here. Be careful when looking to make sure you're looking up wheels for the XI model, as the offsets are different for the same wheel for non XI cars.

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Members

Thanks for the link...per the website, this style (style 95) seemed to only come in 19"--so i am assuming mine are 18" replicas and most likely with an offset of 20--I beleive stock is 43 for the xi. so....

anybody know if the wrong offset would cause the vibration issues when driving?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Members

My guess would be that these are aftermarket wheels and that they are not "hubcentric". I don't think the offset would be the problem. If hubcentric is the problem, it is easily fixed with adapters usually.

Originally Posted by senorruiz
Thanks for the link...per the website, this style (style 95) seemed to only come in 19"--so i am assuming mine are 18" replicas and most likely with an offset of 20--I beleive stock is 43 for the xi. so....

anybody know if the wrong offset would cause the vibration issues when driving?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ssukduang
My guess would be that these are aftermarket wheels and that they are not "hubcentric". I don't think the offset would be the problem. If hubcentric is the problem, it is easily fixed with adapters usually.
cool. thanks. i just heard that elsewhere. I doubt they have hubcentric rings--but will get some if not and see if that works.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Members

For sure they have rings. I had a 7 series with aftermarket wheels. When I first put them on, I had vibration at 55 mph. I called the guys that I purchased the wheels from and they asked "did you put the hub rings on". I had not. Once I put them on (they were plastic rings that centered the wheel on the hub, nothing more), the car was all good.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Members

My Ride: AP2 S2000 E60 545i

Hubcentric rings should do the trick, offset would make the rub not vibrate.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ssukduang
For sure they have rings. I had a 7 series with aftermarket wheels. When I first put them on, I had vibration at 55 mph. I called the guys that I purchased the wheels from and they asked "did you put the hub rings on". I had not. Once I put them on (they were plastic rings that centered the wheel on the hub, nothing more), the car was all good.
Is there a preference on material for the rings--plastic vs aluminum? I hear the aluminum may cause rust/erosion due to the friciton of the two metals.

Quick Reply: Frustrated newbie needing help